TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Piece of plastic from charge door, what is this?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by ZooSean, Jun 10, 2018.

1. ZooSean

ZooSean ZOO

There is price of plastic falling from the charge door, what is this? Is it important? Do I need stick it back?
    IMG_6015.jpg
    IMG_6016.JPG

2. Birdman325

Birdman325 Member

I don’t have a model 3 yet but I recently watched a YouTube video where someone had the same issue, the little diamond piece of “plastic?” fell off.
    Not sure if it was related, but he was not able to charge until he stuck it back in place. Again, may have been a coincidence but once he stuck it back in place he was able to charge. While it was out, he couldn’t charge.
    Just saying.

3. C141medic

C141medic Supporting Member

Rf transmitter?

4. chinnam3

chinnam3 Member

I think it is magnet which acts as sensor for door closing. Yes, you need to glue it back.

Why did it fall, because it was not glues in properly and you are not the first one.

• Disagree x 1
    • Funny x 1
  5. ZooSean

ZooSean ZOO

It is not magnet at all. I tested against a metal. And the charge door closing and opening detected correctly. I did not try to charge the car without it. I will try tonight.

6. gavine

gavine Petrol Head turned EV Enthusiast

• Informative x 1
  7. dckiwi

dckiwi Member

Wow, this is crazy. I just logged on tonight to post the *exact* same question, and I see this post at the top of the list.

My 7 y/o son came in from the garage and sheepishly told me that 'a little piece of your car fell off'. He had apparently been messing with the charger door. I agree with the others here - it appears to be just plastic but it must do something more. I hate to bust out the Gorilla Glue on my new Model3, but I guess that's the only way to go.....

8. ZooSean

ZooSean ZOO

I just used a carpet double tape to put it back on.. My automobile quality double tape is too thick, I am afraid it will cause leakage on the charging door.

That pcs is used for you to tap the charging door, and it opens up, nothing else. If you lose that pcs, you can still open the charging door on the screen, on the phone or on the Tesla charging gun.

9. novox77

novox77 1.21 Gigawatts

#9 novox77, Jun 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
    Mine fell off last night. It's like Tesla scheduled for these things to come loose at the same time. I got some Scotch Extreme Mounting Tape. Double-sided and super sticky.

I can charge fine without that piece. I can hear the charge port click a couple times before stopping - maybe confused about not detecting that piece. I don't see any errors on screen. I suspect a recent firmware update changed the behavior to continue to allow charging without issue.

10. ZooSean

ZooSean ZOO

Be careful for any tape which is thicker than paper. I have a similar tape but I found the door is not closed properly after using it for that piece. I ended up using a Capet double sided tape.

I know it may not resist the heat, but I don’t want my charge door leak the water and I ended up need replace the whole charging port..

11. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

LOL at his reflection at 5:45 - 6:10... (Perhaps NSFW)

• Funny x 4
  12. Kcharwood

Kcharwood Member

Mine fell off a few weeks ago. Tesla replaced the whole charge port door.

They kept telling me it was a sensor. I laughed and didn’t believe them.

13. lupend88

lupend88 Member

Wow so glad I came in here to see this thread, thank you OP. Mine fell off about one week into ownership and oddly enough the chargeport will not open with clicking the button on the charger- it will only open via the app or by telling it to open in my car.