Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pigeon problem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've developed a massive pigeon problem since having my panels installed and just spent all day removing 3 trash bags full of droppings. I've heard some people have had anti-pigeon mesh and/or spikes installed for free, although I sent an email to tesla's support and they quoted me $2,250 for pest abatement installation. Anyone have any insight?

I just recently had Tesla panels installed and have heard pigeons lately as well. Do they actually fit under the panels, my roof is too high to get up on. Also pest abatement was never mentioned, it would have been nice to know it was an option since I've seen neighbors complain about pigeons. :(

They sit on those edge pieces... actually screwed in. The bottom is cut to match the Spanish tiles I have on my roof. Hopefully this picture makes sense.
IMG_1540.JPG

Reactions: 365gtb4
It was never free. when I had my panels installed, my HOA required it so I had Tesla put it on at the time of the panel install. It think the cost was $1000 during the install since the guys were already there and on the roof, so the cost was a little more labor and materials.

rent or buy? is that a factor since Tesla owns the panels for a rental..

We’re scheduled for install in August. We have noticed birds on neighbors roofs throughout the year in our general area. So this is an issue with the Q-Cell 315 panels?? I thought the panels had a metal skirt on them from what I remember of our conversation with TE before signing on contract, which I assumed would have prevented something like this. BTW we have flat concrete roof tiles in case that factors into to it. I can see where the curved clay tiles shape could be a problem with a closer panel fit to the roof. We were told there would be some offset and the panels wouldn’t actually sit on the roof so were expecting some air space between the roof and panels. Love feedback from homeowners with similar flat concrete roof tiles at their home. Thanks.

Last edited:
We’re scheduled for install in August. We have noticed birds on neighbors roofs throughout the year in our general area. So this is an issue with the Q-Cell 315 panels?? I thought the panels had a metal skirt on them that prevented this.

The metal skirt is only installed on the front and sides... the back has no skirt. Additionally there is at least an inch or two between the roof and the skirt, so it’s possible that animals could get under it.

TBH though, I’m surprised that the heat doesn’t keep animals away. In the afternoon in direct sun the panels get up to like 150ish degrees.

• Informative
Reactions: SMAlset
Thanks to reading this thread a few weeks ago we added the pest abatement to our solar to be done at time of install; just completed for an additional $1500 as well. Wouldn’t be surprised if cost is based on amount of netting needed by length plus labor. They did a nice job. The panel skirts run on 3 sides with the uppermost roof ridge side open. They covered all skirted areas and the open back.

• Helpful
Reactions: LadyLion