TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Pigeon problem

Discussion in 'Tesla Energy' started by immolated, Dec 5, 2019.

1. immolated

immolated Member

I've developed a massive pigeon problem since having my panels installed and just spent all day removing 3 trash bags full of droppings. I've heard some people have had anti-pigeon mesh and/or spikes installed for free, although I sent an email to tesla's support and they quoted me $2,250 for pest abatement installation. Anyone have any insight?

2. zanary

zanary Active Member

It was never free. when I had my panels installed, my HOA required it so I had Tesla put it on at the time of the panel install. It think the cost was $1000 during the install since the guys were already there and on the roof, so the cost was a little more labor and materials.

• Like x 1
  3. DS 5/15

DS 5/15 Member

When I got a quote it said pest abatement was extra FWIW. I'm thinking this could be another application for the Tesla glass cleaning laser patent. Not to clean the panels, to zap the flying rats ;)

• Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
  4. JohnRatsey

JohnRatsey Member

Can you arrange occasional visits from a big bird which likes pigeons for lunch? Something similar to this.

5. oldpueblo

oldpueblo Member

I just recently had Tesla panels installed and have heard pigeons lately as well. Do they actually fit under the panels, my roof is too high to get up on. Also pest abatement was never mentioned, it would have been nice to know it was an option since I've seen neighbors complain about pigeons. :(

6. zanary

zanary Active Member

For me, it was installed on those angled framed pieces and cut according to the contours of my Spanish roof tiles. I think it's only added to quotes via request.

7. mattack4000

mattack4000 Active Member

Are they sitting on the panels or under?

8. zanary

zanary Active Member

They sit on those edge pieces... actually screwed in. The bottom is cut to match the Spanish tiles I have on my roof. Hopefully this picture makes sense. IMG_1540.JPG

9. mattack4000

mattack4000 Active Member

Lucky I live near the country side, the hawks and stuff are keeping them at bay

10. vickh

vickh Active Member

rent or buy? is that a factor since Tesla owns the panels for a rental..

11. SMAlset

SMAlset Well-Known Member

#12 SMAlset, Jul 16, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
    We’re scheduled for install in August. We have noticed birds on neighbors roofs throughout the year in our general area. So this is an issue with the Q-Cell 315 panels?? I thought the panels had a metal skirt on them from what I remember of our conversation with TE before signing on contract, which I assumed would have prevented something like this. BTW we have flat concrete roof tiles in case that factors into to it. I can see where the curved clay tiles shape could be a problem with a closer panel fit to the roof. We were told there would be some offset and the panels wouldn’t actually sit on the roof so were expecting some air space between the roof and panels. Love feedback from homeowners with similar flat concrete roof tiles at their home. Thanks.

12. BrettS

BrettS Active Member

The metal skirt is only installed on the front and sides... the back has no skirt. Additionally there is at least an inch or two between the roof and the skirt, so it’s possible that animals could get under it.

TBH though, I’m surprised that the heat doesn’t keep animals away. In the afternoon in direct sun the panels get up to like 150ish degrees.

• Informative x 1
  13. cridinger82

cridinger82 Member

i just added it on to our install for $1,500. Doesn't change install dates and doesn't slow down time frames for completion. My neighbor decided to put up a bird feeder, and my wife followed in suit for our baby as well. So we have lots of birds.. lol

14. charlesj

charlesj Member

Why would they not be able to sit on top of that mesh?

15. BrettS

BrettS Active Member

Why would what not be able to sit on top of the mesh? The birds? The point of the mesh is to keep birds and rodents from going under the panels and nesting there.

16. charlesj

charlesj Member

Oh, under? I thought birds sitting on panels was the issue.
    But you only have it on 3 sides, wouldn't these animals get in on the open side?

17. BrettS

BrettS Active Member

I believe the mesh is installed on all four sides. It’s just mounted a little differently in the back.

• Like x 1
  18. SMAlset

Thanks to reading this thread a few weeks ago we added the pest abatement to our solar to be done at time of install; just completed for an additional $1500 as well. Wouldn’t be surprised if cost is based on amount of netting needed by length plus labor. They did a nice job. The panel skirts run on 3 sides with the uppermost roof ridge side open. They covered all skirted areas and the open back.

• Helpful x 1
  19. SMAlset

#20 SMAlset, Sep 1, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2020
    This video by Bird B Gone (one of the products out there) shows how pest abatement is applied to solar panels.

If you do have birds roosting on roofs in your area you might find yourself in need of someone like these guys:

• Informative x 2