TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Pike's Peak Hill Climb

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by ratsbew, Dec 4, 2012.

1. ratsbew

ratsbew Member

Does anybody live Colorado who can take their Model S up to the top of Pike's Peak. It would be awesome to get a trip report about this.

2. ratsbew

ratsbew Member

It would be especially interesting to see how much energy is recovered with regen braking on the way down.

3. Dien Kim Nguyen

Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States
    I live in Colorado Springs and have been planning to do just that when I do get my car P3214 (Perf 85 kwhr). If the weather does permit and able to receive the car in January, I would to do it as soon as I can but that is one big IF. February would be kinda dicey due to weather.

4. Dien Kim Nguyen

First Tesla on Pikes Peak -- Americans' favorite mountain? Here is my Electra at 14,110 ft altitude. Going up was consuming at at rate of 1040.0 Wh/mile on average. Going down gained a net of 17 miles of charge. The average energy used was 365 Wh/mile when combined both up and down for a distance of 38.5 miles from the foot of the mountain and back.

_DSC1089.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Another photo of my Electra parked next to the ice wall on the way up to Pikes Peak on 5/27/13.
    _DSC1053.jpg

5. AndrewBissell

AndrewBissell Member

365 Wh/mile average seems exceptionally good. What speeds were you driving?

6. Dien Kim Nguyen

For straight sections I got it to 60 mph but mostly 30/35 mph due to Memorial weekend heavy traffic. Toward the end there were some really sharp turns -- so be aware! :)

7. Tim Wittwer

Tim Wittwer New Member

Good looking car, Dien. I miss seeing that at work. You beat me to the top by about 2 years. Nice job!
    Model S Nature Pictures