Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pilot Sport 4S 255/40R18 (on Aeros) seem less efficient than "Cheater" Yoko A052 255/40R18

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On 2018 Model 3 Performance (Minus) I replaced my Yoko A052 255/40R18 "Autocross Cheater Tires" (200 treadwear) (at 10,500 miles, 1/32" tread depth) with non-Tesla PS4S tires (300 treadwear) with the same size and it seems I am getting less efficiency. There has been a recent firmware update that changed the efficiency display software so I don't know if that had an effect on my perception. Kind of surprising. I like that the PS4S's do have nice rim protectors and that with the extra 10mm of rubber (per side) provides good protection for the "Curb Magnet" Aeros.

I have a neighbor with a 2021 P3D, and I have a 2018 P3D. We once both drove to the exact same track, following each other. I was on 275 A052's, he was on 245 Pilot Sports. It was about a 75F day.
Over 25 miles, our cars reported the same kWh usage when we got there.

On 2018 Model 3 Performance (Minus) I replaced my Yoko A052 255/40R18 "Autocross Cheater Tires" (200 treadwear) (at 10,500 miles, 1/32" tread depth) with non-Tesla PS4S tires (300 treadwear) with the same size and it seems I am getting less efficiency. There has been a recent firmware update that changed the efficiency display software so I don't know if that had an effect on my perception. Kind of surprising. I like that the PS4S's do have nice rim protectors and that with the extra 10mm of rubber (per side) provides good protection for the "Curb Magnet" Aeros.
OP here. After a recent firmware update the reported efficiency (energy per mile) on my usual driving loop abruptly returned to "normal" (more efficient) values. Thus, I believe that it was firmware bugs not the difference in the above tires.