Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pin out for HSD/Ethernet "Fakra" Cable (2017 MS/MCU1/FSD/2020.48)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First off, I know it's not a Fakra...just using keywords here (and lightly trolling the Anti-Fakra folks in the forum :))

Quick Background
  • Trying to restage firmware for an onboard charger swap
    • Charger is same model/rev but different firmware so HV contactor won't close
  • MCU1/FSD (HW3) 2020.48.37.8
  • I can't find build instructions in the forum (but then again, the wife says I can't find the ketchup if she hit me in the head with it)
  • Tried ordering pre-built from Maxwelltechnologies for $50 but he hasn't responded to any request for updates
  • Building my own cable using type-Z HSD Connector
  • No idea what pin goes to what pin
  • If I can't get this fixed myself, it's a tow to the service center...any help is much appreciated!
@greentheonly show's the connector but I'm not understanding "here's the pinout"

1641956454871.png

1641954826886.png

1641954908094.png

Not too hard really. You need an Ethernet to Fakra 4 pin hsd cable. Then you'll need to plug into the car network and redeploy your firmware so that it upgrades the firmware on your new charge port.

Buy this

Tesla Service Cable Ethernet FakraHSD for Toolbox 1.5ft Model S/X | eBay

Then once you have it, remove the glove box and look at your APE computer behind it. Remove it's white Ethernet cable and connect your new cable to it (this is the Ethernet cable going to your MCU).

Then, plug the Ethernet cable into your laptop and set your laptop ip address on the Ethernet port to 192.168.90.103

Then use a terminal to telnet into your MCU by typing "telnet 192.168.90.100 25956"

Then type "factory-redeploy" and hit enter. Your MCU will turn blue after a few seconds and start the automatic firmware redeploy to all car components. You do NOT need to push any buttons on the MCU to start it. Just wait. It'll reboot a bunch. 45 minutes later it'll be complete and say so, but still be blue.

Restart the MCU by holding down the two steering scroll wheels for a few seconds in order to make the blue screen go away.

You should be done.

Links to references
https://www.delock.com/infothek/FAKRA_HSD/images/hsd_stecker-buchse-schematisch.jpg

Last edited:
Just found this...

8sFPb5n.png

But posts in there also say Ethernet is full-lock down. Hoping this is not the case.

1641960401028.png

Confirming I want to connect my Ethernet cable to the CABLE side of the WHITE connector. This goes to the MCU

Last edited:
Just found this...

8sFPb5n.png

But posts in there also say Ethernet is full-lock down. Hoping this is not the case.

View attachment 754796
Confirming I want to connect my Ethernet cable to the CABLE side of the WHITE connector. This goes to the MCU
depends on version, ethernet likely locked down at this point on your car. the port referenced for the cable is in above the kickpanel on the drivers side door frame (inside car, not door) a little trangle plastic piece pulls off and the connector is there. im actually not sure if you'd need to do the white cable or not ive always just used the kickpanel connection.

Hi there, i also made a cable with your settings but i cannot ping anything with the White Connector under mcu. I heard that this connector must be activated? Hope you can give me some more informations

You can't use the port under the MCU. You have to connect to the CABLE that plugs into the AP computer.

But, I'll tell you it's probably not worth trying. You can request status and a couple other things, but you can't reflash firmware or do anything worth all the trouble.

From another user..."KyleDay"

Then once you have it, remove the glove box and look at your APE computer behind it. Remove it's white Ethernet cable and connect your new cable to it (this is the Ethernet cable going to your MCU).

Then, plug the Ethernet cable into your laptop and set your laptop ip address on the Ethernet port to 192.168.90.103

Then use a terminal to telnet into your MCU by typing "telnet 192.168.90.100 25956"