Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pin to drive - one number for 2 drivers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One pin - for everyone.

We've turned the PIN feature on in our X - and not sure we're going to keep it activated.

Even if you step out of the car briefly (at the mailbox), you have to re-enter the PIN to resume driving.

The PIN feature was deployed to address a security vulnerability with older key fobs. I believe the X and 3 are using newer key fobs that don't have the vulnerability for cloning - and S owners with the older key fobs can purchase new ones that don't have the vulnerability.

Since our X probably doesn't have this vulnerability - plus it seems unlikely we'd park our car where this would be a serious risk anyway, we'll probably end up turning this feature off soon - and may enable it only when parking our car at the airport during trips.

We've turned the PIN feature on in our X - and not sure we're going to keep it activated.

Even if you step out of the car briefly (at the mailbox), you have to re-enter the PIN to resume driving.

The PIN feature was deployed to address a security vulnerability with older key fobs. I believe the X and 3 are using newer key fobs that don't have the vulnerability for cloning - and S owners with the older key fobs can purchase new ones that don't have the vulnerability.

Since our X probably doesn't have this vulnerability....
Car Jacking
I’d rather they can’t steal it on the spot, than it be recovered after GPS tracking

There are multiple references in online postings about how the Model S (starting in June 2018) key fobs were upgraded to use the newer technology used in the Model X key fobs, with stronger protection. I don't recall Tesla sending us anything official warning us that our 2017 S 100D has this risk or that our 2018 X 100D doesn't.

If in doubt, recommend you call Tesla - and ask them if your vehicle has the security risk, and if you're concerned about it, and don't want to use the PIN to Drive feature, how much it would cost to purchase new key fobs without the security risk.

Tesla purchased the key fob technology from a 3rd party, who was using relatively old technology, exposing Model S owners to this risk. It appears Tesla chose a newer key fob implementation for the X, which doesn't have this vulnerability.

Tesla wasn't alone though, there are other manufacturers who have also used the same key fob technology, and unlike Tesla, they probably can't do a software update to add a feature like PIN to Drive.

NOTE that for almost all owners, this vulnerability isn't a significant risk. It requires someone being within close proximity (about 3 feet) to get a reading on the key fob so they can clone it. And they would have to have the gear needed to do the cloning.

Our Model S is at risk - and will likely only enable the PIN to Drive feature if we leave the car parked somewhere for an extended period, but even then, unless someone has gotten with a close distance of one of the key fobs - they can't break into the car by this hack.

I don't recall Tesla sending us anything official warning us that our 2017 S 100D has this risk or that our 2018 X 100D doesn't.

Likewise, I’ve not seen anything official from Tesla indicating that the Model X keyfob is invulnerable to the exploit shown in the recently exposed video showing alleged thieves making off with a Model S.

There are two different things here:
1. relay attack
2. key fob cloning

1. Relay attack allows an individual to increase the key fob signal to unlock and start ANY Tesla. So with the correct amplifier, a key fob signal in your house can be relayed to unlock your car in your driveway and start it once.

2. Key fob cloning is the issue that only affect older model S key fob with poor encryption. This would allow an individual to copy the key fob signature to another device and then unlock and start the car as many time as needed.

Personally I don't like the PIN to Drive feature, but I would love to be able to set a PIN only for some settings in the car, like disabling remote access, etc.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: sixty