Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pin to drive touchscreen freeze?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

WllXM

May 4, 2022
London
Hi,

Second time in two weeks this has happened to me (and a software update in between, currently on 2022.24.8).

When getting in the car and pressing the brake pedal, the pin to drive keypad comes on, but the screen then becomes frozen, not registering any presses…

Quite annoying, and the only solution I’ve found was to perform a soft reset by holding the two steering wheel buttons.

Of course, each time, I was in a rush to drive away and lost a good couple minutes…
On one instance it was in the morning, and on the other, I had just parked for a couple minutes on the side of the road…

Anyone faced a similar issue?

Yes, but not for a few months now and obviously an older software version back then.

Happened only twice, had never seen it before nor have I seen it happen again since.

I suspect there is a bug that's a rare edge case.

I did the same, two button reset. But since I didn't experience it a third time and unfortunately I didn't have much time back then, I did nothing more about it.

Hi,

Second time in two weeks this has happened to me (and a software update in between, currently on 2022.24.8).

When getting in the car and pressing the brake pedal, the pin to drive keypad comes on, but the screen then becomes frozen, not registering any presses…

Quite annoying, and the only solution I’ve found was to perform a soft reset by holding the two steering wheel buttons.

Of course, each time, I was in a rush to drive away and lost a good couple minutes…
On one instance it was in the morning, and on the other, I had just parked for a couple minutes on the side of the road…

You will be due a software update very soon so hang on for a while (if you can live with it) ... my bet is that it won't happen with your next version.

Hi,

Putting pin code is really old school in the age of unlocking phone with face id. I think Tesla needs to work on face id using cabinet camera.

Putting pin code is really old school in the age of unlocking phone with face id. I think Tesla needs to work on face id using cabinet camera.
Face ID is only so good because it has a lot of extra gubbins to project a dot map on your face that lets a single camera get a 3d representation of a face. The cabin camera only has a basic IR blasters on newer models, not enough to do decent facial recognition.

The wife encountered a problem with Pin To Drive this morning. It wouldn't accept the code. Fortunately, she was able to fix the problem with the two-button reboot. I'm concerned that the reboot may not work the next time around, so I disabled the Pin To Drive function for now. I will try it again after the next update.

The wife encountered a problem with Pin To Drive this morning. It wouldn't accept the code. Fortunately, she was able to fix the problem with the two-button reboot. I'm concerned that the reboot may not work the next time around, so I disabled the Pin To Drive function for now. I will try it again after the next update.

There is a backup plan... If the screen didn't work then start the car from the app and no pin is needed.

• Helpful
Reactions: Twurzel and WllXM