Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pin to Drive

Do you use pin to drive?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There can only be one. Well not really..I’m a “legacy” MS owner (2020) so I have an old school key fob (remember those?) Anyway, my battery in the fob is very low so I resorted to using my phone or the Watch for Tesla app. I noticed that I have not needed to enter my pin ,which makes sense, and is seems way more convenient.

So just for giggles and to help the newbies, which side of this debate are you on? For those going commando aren’t ya scared of leaving your key in the car and somebody running away?

This is nothing new: Since the very early days (2012), there have been numerous thefts due to availability of the fobs.
I’m sure the phone app has matured since then or did it always allow for remote start? Phone/watch will allow it to start without need for pin. This seems to be the best approach for me at least. Keep the pin on for when I have the fob but just use my watch or phone to start.

I use pin to drive In trips. If I go out of town. Park at a hotel or any place that doesn’t have quality security. I wish I could setup pin to drive for different profiles. I would set up pin to drive for my wife and or any profile that I don’t use. Just in case they leave there phone or key card in the Tesla

Reactions: GadgetGary
The good feature of the wireless console charger means that it's an easy mistake to get out of the car with the phone left on the charger. Then the car can be opened and driven by anyone.

PIN-to-Drive at least keeps the car from being driven away, though your phone and anything else not locked in the glove box can be taken.

There's also the unlikely but possible scenario of a carjacking attempt. If a criminal is crazy enough to do that to you, you are arguably better off without the PIN (assuming you're not with family in the car). You might not want to be next to your car with an armed and agitated lunatic who is unable to drive it away without your help.

But I think the first scenario is by far more likely than the second, so I continue to use PIN-to-Drive.

The good feature of the wireless console charger means that it's an easy mistake to get out of the car with the phone left on the charger. Then the car can be opened and driven by anyone.

PIN-to-Drive at least keeps the car from being driven away, though your phone and anything else not locked in the glove box can be taken.
I didn’t think I was really the only one with this problem, but now that you’ve posted about it, I have to say it’s one of the most frustrating “features” of my new M3. I really like the console chargers, and it’s on me to remember the phone more (I’m actually surprised at how easy it is for me to forget it). I suppose there’s nothing to do about it, I can’t expect the car to know if I’ve walked away from it if I’m not carrying device of some kind…

I suppose there’s nothing to do about it, I can’t expect the car to know if I’ve walked away from it if I’m not carrying device of some kind…
I wish the car would triple honk the horn if it detects that all doors are closed with no bodies in any seats and the phone that started the car is still in the charger. (Or detected inside the vehicle.)

Seems it would be easy for them to detect that.

I wish the car would triple honk the horn if it detects that all doors are closed with no bodies in any seats and the phone that started the car is still in the charger. (Or detected inside the vehicle.)

Seems it would be easy for them to detect that.
I would support that. I’d really love something similar that tells me when I’ve tried to lock the car with the card key, but there’s a phone still inside. (Because, in that circumstance, the car isn’t really locked, it’s just pretending to be locked.)

Reactions: Transformer
Does adding a new driver in the app allow the new driver to bypass pin to drive?

Starting the car remotely in the app definitely does bypass pin to drive so I'm considering turning off remote start in the car option.
No adding a person don't bypass the pin to drive.

If you are referring to the option to start the car remotely so someone can move it, it's supposely timed for a couple of minutes. I guess it would require to enter the pin to drive ? I've never tried this option.

• Informative
Reactions: Nujec
No adding a person don't bypass the pin to drive.

If you are referring to the option to start the car remotely so someone can move it, it's supposely timed for a couple of minutes. I guess it would require to enter the pin to drive ? I've never tried this option.
I tested starting the car remotely from the app in our 2021 M3 SR+ the other day. From my testing starting the car remotely definitely *does* bypass pin to drive and seems to allow the car to be driven without entering a pin or time limit on driving once started. The remote start permission to drive seems to expire a few minutes after the car is stopped and the driver side door opened.

IMO this is a security hole in pin to drive. I'll be disabling remote starting from within the car menu.

Good to know that adding a driver doesn't bypass pin to drive.

I tested starting the car remotely from the app in our 2021 M3 SR+ the other day. From my testing starting the car remotely definitely *does* bypass pin to drive and seems to allow the car to be driven without entering a pin or time limit on driving once started. The remote start permission to drive seems to expire a few minutes after the car is stopped and the driver side door opened.

IMO this is a security hole in pin to drive. I'll be disabling remote starting from within the car menu.

Good to know that adding a driver doesn't bypass pin to drive.
Disabling Allow Keyless Driving doesn't really add any security as anyone with a valid key seems to be able to turn back on Keyless Driving from inside the car anyway.