TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Pininfarina Cambiano concept

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by clea, Feb 28, 2012.

1. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

Hmmm ... asymmetric doors.

2. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

And for no good reason as far as I can tell. Why not the same on both sides? I've sometimes seen an extra suicide door on the drivers side of a coupe, so the driver doesn't have to get out to let a rear passenger in. But here, they've put it on the passenger side. So I'm a bit at a loss.

I realize this is just a concept, so who knows if any of it will ever reach production. But I would be interested to see something besides your standard ICE as a range extender/serial hybrid generator. That Jay Leno car had a turbine and it was LOUD.

23pininfarinacambianocnc-1330362683.jpg

3. clea

clea Member

The only reason I could think of is for simplification of passengers exiting when pulled up to a sidewalk but then this negates the use of the RHD cars (eg. for the UK) unless they do a mirror image of the door layout for those markets. Not sure that is feasible tho IMO.

4. jcstp

jcstp Active Member

mini clubman has same asymmetric doors

2008_mini_clubman_official_pics_2.jpg

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

Which apparently they didn't bother to switch for the RHD version. Did they think it would interfere with the fuel filler?
    wheelwobble: What's outside today 32 - MINI Cooper Clubman
    clubmanfront.JPG

Anyhow the interesting part about the Pininfarina Cambiano concept isn't the doors. I don't even think it looks that special for a concept. The only thing really of note is the drivetrain, if they follow through on it.

6. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Pretty sleek, though it feels like it needs some texture. Diesel-powered turbine? Interesting.

7. strider

strider Active Member

Well, diesel, kerosene, and jet fuel are all basically the same thing so they wouldn't have to change much.

8. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

I just found it interesting that they were going to put the turbine in a production car (I know there have been some in the past), but you're right

9. strider

strider Active Member

I agree and in a bizarre location (unless you live in Sweden).

10. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

11. domenick

domenick Nerd

I love the wood on the floors and doors! Also, if you look at the gallery (and I think the video) there are some images of the Florida II, which is also pretty sweet, though not electric.