Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pininfarina Cambiano concept

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmmm ... asymmetric doors.
And for no good reason as far as I can tell. Why not the same on both sides? I've sometimes seen an extra suicide door on the drivers side of a coupe, so the driver doesn't have to get out to let a rear passenger in. But here, they've put it on the passenger side. So I'm a bit at a loss.

I realize this is just a concept, so who knows if any of it will ever reach production. But I would be interested to see something besides your standard ICE as a range extender/serial hybrid generator. That Jay Leno car had a turbine and it was LOUD.

23pininfarinacambianocnc-1330362683.jpg

And for no good reason as far as I can tell. Why not the same on both sides? I've sometimes seen an extra suicide door on the drivers side of a coupe, so the driver doesn't have to get out to let a rear passenger in. But here, they've put it on the passenger side. So I'm a bit at a loss.

The only reason I could think of is for simplification of passengers exiting when pulled up to a sidewalk but then this negates the use of the RHD cars (eg. for the UK) unless they do a mirror image of the door layout for those markets. Not sure that is feasible tho IMO.

mini clubman has same asymmetric doors
Which apparently they didn't bother to switch for the RHD version. Did they think it would interfere with the fuel filler?
wheelwobble: What's outside today 32 - MINI Cooper Clubman
...I have to confess I was a bit sceptical about the Clubman, especially after all that fuss about the 'door on the wrong side' (the second side door on the right-hand side of the car, which opens into the traffic when the car is parked at the side of the road in RHD markets).

clubmanfront.JPG

Anyhow the interesting part about the Pininfarina Cambiano concept isn't the doors. I don't even think it looks that special for a concept. The only thing really of note is the drivetrain, if they follow through on it.