TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Pininfarina EV

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by malcolm, Dec 21, 2007.

1. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

2. tonybelding

tonybelding Active Member

Only 80 MPH top speed? Otherwise the specs sound pretty reminiscent of the (limited) info we've heard on WhiteStar.

I noticed it says "four seats" rather than four doors. So they could be doing a 2+2.

I wonder about the batteries they are using, what their energy density is.

3. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Amazing that Pininfarina a car Designer that Designs cars would make an announcemnet without showing a Design...

I've owned 5 different cars from their studios and apprecialted many more so I look forward to what they come up with.

4. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

We might be able to thank Tesla for causing such a "stir" in the industry that so many established companies have felt compelled to suddenly jump into this space (even if they didn't have a product already underway).

5. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

#5 malcolm, Dec 21, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2007
    Nothing remarkable at the moment. The bollore website ( :::: Le groupe Bolloré :::: ) mentions a prototype EV made by a company called batscap. It's called the bluecar and it uses the Lithium Metal polymer Technology.

Seems to be 110 Wh/kg

batscap - batterie lithium metal polymere - energy storage

Now how about Tesla selling drivetrains to Pininfarina?

6. DDB

DDB Member

Now, what about cost?!

7. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Probably expensive. And probably only for Europe if it even turns into a real product.

8. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

#8 malcolm, Dec 22, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2007
    Ok so the Fetish was no real competition for the Roadster. Maybe Pininfarina can design a 4 seater to make the Whitestar designers go one better.

There's no-one out there pushing Tesla on BEV systems, and there needs to be.

9. Cobos

Cobos S60 owner since 2013

Actually the French automakers has been making limited number of EV for a long time. The only problem now is bothersome batteries... They require too much maintenance for my liking, and are kind of delicate.
    Hopefully Renault or Peugot got something up their sleeve in not too short time.

Cobos

10. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

11. Cobos

Cobos S60 owner since 2013

Reading through the BBC article someone should tell that Bentley executive about the Tesla Roadster, an all electric car with more than 50 miles range...

As to the Pininfarina EV, I like the design and the specs looks pretty decent. The only thing missing is PRICE which has been conspicously absent from the press release :)

Cobos

12. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

13. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

#14 malcolm, Oct 3, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2008
  14. domenick

domenick Nerd

#15 domenick, Oct 5, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2008
    The ultracapacitors can absorb more energy than can batteries during regenerative braking and can also give back that power to the motor faster. Using them as a buffer allows for a slightly smaller battery pack and extends the life of the battery as well. The Aptera is supposed to have the same kind of set-up and the AFS Trinity demonstrator does as well.

I personally like the solar panel idea a lot. I knoow its more practical to have them on your house and all that but I like the way they lot on the BØ, especially on the fascia. Plus, I only drive 6 miles many days so it's less plugging in for me. Some EVs are using the solar on the roof to help with cabin temperature so that not so much air con is needed in summer and less heat in winter.

15. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

I guess I'm fretting about increased complexity and reliability issues in harsh automotive applications. Hope it works out okay.

16. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

News of delays

Pininfarina delays prototype showing of B0 electric car

17. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

18. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member