TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

PINK Model S! Custom colors?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by RobotGrease, Sep 9, 2012.

1. RobotGrease

RobotGrease Member

• Like x 1
  2. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Early reservationists were able to pay 12k for any color they wanted. As posted by the owner in another thread, this color is from an older mustang and they lovingly call it "the big gay car".

Heh, that about cover it?

3. PhatCat

PhatCat Kisco Kid

rotflmao

4. tomanik

tomanik Member

Wouldnt like to own a Pink or lavender vehicle however i am interested to see a picutre or vid of this outside in the sun as it is definately unaiue and grabs attention.

5. sp4rk

sp4rk Banned

AFAIC, for a car that'll cost most of us up to or more than $100,000, we should STILL be able to get any color we want, including the "cherry red". Aka sig.

6. Beavis

Beavis Signature 991

If Tesla refunds my $35,000 additional deposit with interest and lowers the price by $3,550, I agree.

7. NEWDL

NEWDL R#350 R#1323 Sig23 8136

This is extremely obsurd. Pricing is set as the car sits. To assume they could afford to paint your car any color without effecting cost is insane.

On another note, it sure looks similar to a roadster that was custom done... Wonder if it is the same gentleman...

8. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

I agree. There is absolutely nothing from stopping someone getting their car and having it repainted Signature Red if they want but telling people who took $40,000 out of the market for over 3 years that one of the only real 'exclusive' features is going into the general production as well and you're still paying a $5,000 premium likely wouldn't build good will.

Do you know of any car company that will paint a car absolutely any custom color you want for no additional fee? They'd have to shut down the paint shop and change colors after each car.

9. ggr

ggr Roadster R80 537, SigS P85 29

No, it isn't the same person. It's us. We frankly admit we were expecting a more bluish purple than how the paintform turned out, but still we quite like it. In sunlight it's really beautiful. We got custom because we both hate red and shades of gray, but we weren't going to drop off the sig list just to get a blue we didn't like either.

They don't do the custom colors in the paint shop. Instead they pull the car off the line after undercoating, and send it out to be done. Different paints have different flow properties, and they have to reprogram the robots for every color, and try until they get it right. At least that's what was explained to us. Even this turned out to be more of a hassle than they expected, making our car a bit late (apparently it passed Elon's inspection yesterday), and they've stopped offering custom colors for the forseeable future. The only ones I know are us and Roblab.

10. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

At first i thought, 'no!!'. (Just a visceral reaction to pink - and this obviously has lavender tones.) But it really is growing on me. It looks like an absolutely stunning paint and I'm looking forward to seeing pics of it in the sun. I bet it glows.

Bold choice for a bold car. Nicely done.

11. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

If it looks the same in person as it does on the screen it's a really great colour--and it's not dark like so many Tesla colours.

12. Krugerrand

Krugerrand Active Member

I think it looks 'hot', but then I think the car would look great in any color and if I had my choice I'd be wanting a canary yellow with black trim accents.

13. Jason S

Jason S Model S Sig Perf (P85)

Pretty sure you guys mentioned the price difference (12k) and that they stopped offering custom colors a loooong time ago. Around the end of may, I think.

Anyhow, it is a nice lavender and I agree a more purple tint would've been pretty too.

And I love the South Park reference of "big gay car". :smile:

Grats on getting your car really finally!

14. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

Wouldn't be my color choice, but I think it's pretty cool.

Actually, I would guess that most of the "standard" Model S colors we've seen so far were painted by an outside company.

15. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

This makes me think of the Mary Kay pink Cadillacs they used to (maybe still do) give to top performers. I wonder if that is what this is....

16. Johann Koeber

Johann Koeber Member

Thanks for coming out.

I like the concept of a custom painted car.

Probably it could be repainted after having taken delivery.

Or you could have colored foil wrapped, similar to the paint armor. This could eventually be undone in case you get tired of it or before you sell the car.

I like your truely singular Model S - congrats

17. CapitalistOppressor

CapitalistOppressor Active Member

I've said it elsewhere, but I think it looks great. I could not have imagined myself deciding on that color, but my ex-wife would have, and honestly I'd have loved it after seeing it on the car. That color is going to turn heads and get people interested in the car. Tesla should have paid you for the upgrade :p

18. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

If this is 10% brightness, 25% would be stunning. If it bent purple. (Not a fan of pink.)

19. jkeyser14

jkeyser14 Member

I have to admit, it definitely makes the car look sharp. My wife would love that color.

20. DrDave

DrDave Member

Curious Doug, what do you mean by that comment - most colors painted by outside company. Thanks, again just asking for clarification.