Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pinout Model S Headlight?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Tesla enthusiasts!

Somebody recently crashed into my parked P85D :-( The only good thing coming out of that: I own a nearly undamaged but replaced headlight now. I plan to build a fancy lamp for my garage out of that thing ;-)

By any chance: Does anybody here know the pinout of the headlight connector?

Thanks in advance and best regards
Keith

image.jpeg

This is how it looks like. Standard connector?

I also have one of these units but haven't played with it yet, nor have I disassembled it. I don't know if there are advanced electronics in it, or if it's just a simple array of pins for simple switched power.

Tesla employees are known to lurk here but are actively discouraged from participating here.

HI, I too am looking for pinout in formation for the refreshed Model S. I need to find the 12v highbeam wire. I have a garage door opener that connects to the highbeam. Flashing the high beam twice sends to RF code to the opener. This allows me to use the headlights to open the door as opposed to fumbling with the remote.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Marty.

I have a garage door opener that connects to the highbeam. Flashing the high beam twice sends to RF code to the opener. This allows me to use the headlights to open the door as opposed to fumbling with the remote.

Marty.

Remote as in hand held remote or as in pushing the homelink remote button? Are our Northern Hemisphere cars that much different than those in the Southern? My garage door is programmed through the car/gps.

I must admit though, flashing the headlights is pretty neat!

Remote as in hand held. We can't get Homelink here. It's not installed in our cars. I asked Tesla Australia if I cold get it as an option but they said it's not licensed for use outside of the US.

The headlight transmitter unit attaches to the high beam. There is a receiver, that once paired with the transmitter, connects to the garage door opener by piggy backing it to the wall switch. Works well and has a range of about 50 meters. So on approach to the garage you just double tap the high beam and the garage door opens.

Thanks for the pin outs. I just need to install it I guess.
Marty

Here you are:

Hmmmm...so I had a look at the headlight plugs for the refresh model and it seems things are a little different. Do you happen to have the pinouts for the refresh/facelift?

Here is what I noticed:
There are only 6 pins in the headlight socket even though there are 9 wires in the harness/plug.
1 - red - connected
2 - purple/white - not connected
3 - red - not connected
4 - grey - connected
5 - red - not connected
6 - red/black- connected
7 - brown - connected
8 - black - connected
9 - black - connected

The colours may not be quite right. I took some photos but can't quite see the exact colours on the photos.

I'm reluctant to start tapping into the wires without knowing exactly what is what.

Marty

IGNORE my previous post!

So....this is doing my head in. This morning I tested each wire on the left headlamp (refresh/face lift with LED lights). There are 9 wires in the harness/plug but only 6 pins in the socket (see photos attached). The only thing I figured out was the turn signal. I can't work out the DRL, headlamp, or high beam. None of these voltages changed with with the high beam. I didn't test voltages on the right as I was staring to get a little frustrated and decided it would be better to ask for help than compromise any more wire insulation.

For the LEFT side:
1 - Red/White..........+7.8V
2 - Purple/White......+11.1V to +12.1V (when car powered up)
3 - Red/Pink............0
4 - Grey...................+12V turn signal
5 - Red....................0
6 - Red/Black...........+12V (?switched)
7 - Brown.................+12V constant
8 - Black...................Earth
9 - Black...................Earth

For the RIGHT side:
1 - Red/Pink
2- White/Black
3 - Blue/White
4 - Green
5 - Brown
6 - Red/Grey
7 - Purple
8 - Black
9 - Black

Any help/advice on how to find the high beam would be helpful.

This is the plug model number: DJ7141-1.5/3.5-21

Marty

Tesla HL Plug 1.jpg
Tesla HL Plug 2.jpg
Tesla HL Plug 3.jpg
Tesla HL socket 1.jpg

Last edited:
[BUMP]
More specifically, we know that the >2016 headlights are controlled by the LIN bus. Has anyone, or _CAN_ someone with a >2016 car, sniff the LIN bus and post codes for:
Turning headlight on, off, dimming DRL, turning DRL off etc.?

I don't have access to a 2016 to sniff it myself. I have a project in mind.