Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pinout Model S Headlight?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Guys!

New to the forum. Wondered if anyone can help on this issue. in the UK, replacing the driver side headlamp. Does anyone know the pinout or colors for the wires for the motor on the adaptive headlight? Its a smaller connector, pic attached

Thanks!

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2019-07-30 at 12.01.19(1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2019-07-30 at 12.01.19(1).jpeg
    123.9 KB · Views: 399
Hi Guys!

New to the forum. Wondered if anyone can help on this issue. in the UK, replacing the driver side headlamp. Does anyone know the pinout or colors for the wires for the motor on the adaptive headlight? Its a smaller connector, pic attached

Thanks!
What connector is that? That does not look like a headlamp connector - can you show a picture of what it was plugged into?

Sorry for picking up pick this thread but anyone knows what happens if the connector is not plugged in?
I live in Sweden and I just bought a pair of LED headlights from US and the right headlight does not have the connector for self leveling, but the left one does. Does the headlights even have a motor inside? I never seen my light image moving, just the "adaptive" light that are lit up when moving the steering wheel.

Sorry for picking up pick this thread but anyone knows what happens if the connector is not plugged in?
I live in Sweden and I just bought a pair of LED headlights from US and the right headlight does not have the connector for self leveling, but the left one does. Does the headlights even have a motor inside? I never seen my light image moving, just the "adaptive" light that are lit up when moving the steering wheel.

Did you eventually find a solution for this, I’m having the same challenge...?

IGNORE my previous post!

So....this is doing my head in. This morning I tested each wire on the left headlamp (refresh/face lift with LED lights). There are 9 wires in the harness/plug but only 6 pins in the socket (see photos attached). The only thing I figured out was the turn signal. I can't work out the DRL, headlamp, or high beam. None of these voltages changed with with the high beam. I didn't test voltages on the right as I was staring to get a little frustrated and decided it would be better to ask for help than compromise any more wire insulation.

For the LEFT side:
1 - Red/White..........+7.8V
2 - Purple/White......+11.1V to +12.1V (when car powered up)
3 - Red/Pink............0
4 - Grey...................+12V turn signal
5 - Red....................0
6 - Red/Black...........+12V (?switched)
7 - Brown.................+12V constant
8 - Black...................Earth
9 - Black...................Earth

For the RIGHT side:
1 - Red/Pink
2- White/Black
3 - Blue/White
4 - Green
5 - Brown
6 - Red/Grey
7 - Purple
8 - Black
9 - Black

Any help/advice on how to find the high beam would be helpful.

This is the plug model number: DJ7141-1.5/3.5-21

Marty

View attachment 188898 View attachment 188899 View attachment 188900 View attachment 188901
Hello
I am very interesting did you find out what pins must be changed in headlight connector? Is it any success?

[BUMP]
More specifically, we know that the >2016 headlights are controlled by the LIN bus. Has anyone, or _CAN_ someone with a >2016 car, sniff the LIN bus and post codes for:
Turning headlight on, off, dimming DRL, turning DRL off etc.?

I don't have access to a 2016 to sniff it myself. I have a project in mind.
Hi, Have you got the code?I have logged the data but it seems these data can't turn on the headlamp.

[BUMP]
More specifically, we know that the >2016 headlights are controlled by the LIN bus. Has anyone, or _CAN_ someone with a >2016 car, sniff the LIN bus and post codes for:
Turning headlight on, off, dimming DRL, turning DRL off etc.?

I don't have access to a 2016 to sniff it myself. I have a project in mind.
Has anyone figured out the Lin-Bus data received by the Head-Light?
I am trying to create a LIN bus interface to retrofit to Old Teslas. Has anyone done or seen a similar?

There's a company selling rather expensive kit that does what we're trying to do. They figured it out and have capitalized on the hidden, but open, knowledge. :(
Thanks Hank.
Do you mind sharing that company/any links? I couldn't find any info.

I started building my own LIN bus interface to retrofit New Head Lights on Old Teslas.
Need more data.

I'd rather roll my own - the circuit is SIMPLE enough - but I don't have the LIN codes :( This is a back burner project for me - if I ever come across the codes, I'd be a happy camper.

Here' a link LED to HID adapter Model S 2012-2016

Too rich for my blood for what it does. LMK if you make any further progress. I read another post that there's an EV tuner shop that can do this without an adapter, but I don't see how that is possible as the LIN bus is not present on the original wiring harness, and even if it was, the old MCU is does not send the LIN signals - I suppose they somehow can tell the gateway.conf car config that it has newer head lights, which will force it to send the LIN codes and then they would just need to adda jumper wire on the headlight harness to supply the single wire LIN signal... But I guess I'd need root to do that - or possible toolbox access. Dunno. An adapter seemed to be the more straightforward route.

Thanks Hank.
Do you mind sharing that company/any links? I couldn't find any info.

I started building my own LIN bus interface to retrofit New Head Lights on Old Teslas.
Need more data.
One more tidbit - -> CAN-RE-Tool/teslamodels at master · openvehicles/CAN-RE-Tool and Exploring the Tesla Model S CAN Bus According to this, code 266 on the CAN is for headlights. Not sure if 2012 model S put 266 on the CAN bus and if we can read it with a CAN adapter - or what the equiv LIN code to send to the headlight would be.

One more tidbit - -> CAN-RE-Tool/teslamodels at master · openvehicles/CAN-RE-Tool and Exploring the Tesla Model S CAN Bus According to this, code 266 on the CAN is for headlights. Not sure if 2012 model S put 266 on the CAN bus and if we can read it with a CAN adapter - or what the equiv LIN code to send to the headlight would be.
Probably Analog On/OFF Signals to LIN converter. and if possible will read CAN for steering angle and controls Different LEDs to level/angle lights. Thanks for the quick reply. I'll check them today after work. :)