Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pins and needles (waiting on real deliveries)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is anyone else super disappointed that there has been no news of deliveries in the last ( almost ) 2 weeks?

I was hoping to hear about signature #1 being delivered by now.

Not really. There needs to be time to get the feedback from the first cars and make the adjustments to the assembly line.

Yup. Bummed that, looking back, June 22 comes across as more a charade involving insiders than a real customer delivery event.

Maybe, Tesla's feverishly working through all the little niggles seen on the first 12 cars (including Jurvetson's and Musk's cars) to make sure that "real" customers will not have any gripes.

Yup. Bummed that, looking back, June 22 comes across as more a charade involving insiders than a real customer delivery event.

Yeah, I was afraid that we'd get some big press thing to say they delivered early and book some cars in Q2 and then nothing. I do want them to fix things and do what they can before deliveries, but I almost feel a bit emotionally manipulated.

Maybe, Tesla's feverishly working through all the little niggles seen on the first 12 cars (including Jurvetson's and Musk's cars) to make sure that "real" customers will not have any gripes.

Makes sense, particularly if they're more than just the most minor of nitpicks. Better to nail it down now, as rolling changes are difficult, and retro repairs expensive. But we all knew that anyway.

But like you say Rich, I'm a junkie, I need my "fix!". Give me something new... that production is ramping up, that this puppy is truly underway, getting into people's hands, changing the world.

I agree that the June deliveries were mostly a PR event, but a smart move I think.

-They can say without lying that they've delivered cars to customers more than a month ahead of schedule.
-They have the time to fix issues and receive more feedback from Elon/Jurvetson, and the founders.
-They received feedback from the media...while at the same time keeping most reviews fairly time limited...which allows them to fix issues the brief reviews exposed before the cars are subject to more thorough reviews.
-They're receiving tons of feedback from us via the test drives!

Although the wait's excruciating, this is the smartest thing that Tesla can do. As long as they're not just sitting around in the factory waiting for Elon to come in and tell them to start delivering.

My guess is there is a LOT of buzz and stress going on in that factory right now!

The above steps are very important to helping improve the quality of the product. As we all know, the engineering of the car (with the exception of the cupholders/console!) is stellar. So the main area they need to improve to really knock socks off is in the area of fit/finish, quality, and reliability.

We have heard nothing to indicate that they're not still on their "one car per day" schedule, which means there should be another ~10 cars built since those first deliveries (I'm assuming no work happened that weekend with the deliveries and then test drives, and I still don't know if they plan to run the line during Sat. and/or Sun.). That still puts them in Founders territory, which is fine, and helping them work the bugs out. At this pace, they should only do another 20 or 25 cars in July.

The real key will be to see what happens at the end of July and/or beginning of August when deliveries to real customers begin. If they can get comfortable ramping up the production schedule by the end of this month, that should put them on pace, and these frustrating weeks will be a distant memory (crossing fingers).

Already feel mildly disappointed, but oh well I'll get over it and would rather TM but their best car forward to Sig#1. And would imagine that some of the very first cars will really be put through the ringer. TM will be judged by Sig#1 more so than they were for Roadster#1. You could imagine that EV's in general could be hanging in the balance. If the Rocket man can't do it....well.... it might not be possible? Could see reports saying worse, but the stakes are just higher now...

The time between 6/22 and Sig#X (X being the car that gets thoroughly tested) delivery will be very telling. It will show the kinds of hurtles, fixes and engineering decisions that had to either be made, not made or otherwise mitigated based on whatever is found to be wanting, different or better.

Folks, I gotta tell ya, these are interesting times. Couldn't be happier with the discussions on this forum

I agree Discoducky...How Tesla performs here over the next few months will really have a significant impact on the pace of EV adoption for years to come. If Model S does well, bigger automakers will start paying more attention, get serious about EVs, and the race is on. If the Model S has too many perceived shortcomings or quality/performance/reliability issues, EVs will still progress forward but at a slower pace and with less people viewing them as a serious solution to sustainable transportation.

I am Sig 1207, and my status on the Tesla website now reads "The Tesla Factory Is building your Model S Signature." I am definitely on pins and needles and have every expectation I will be taking delivery over the next few months.

I'd take that generally--as in "they have your options written down on paper somewhere". There's no way it's actually making its way down the assembly line at this point.

I am Sig 1207, and my status on the Tesla website now reads "The Tesla Factory Is building your Model S Signature." I am definitely on pins and needles and have every expectation I will be taking delivery over the next few months.

Really? That's awesome. I have Sig Special 114 and mine still says 'Reserved'. It does say 'last updated June 12th' though so old information. I remember with the Roadster at least their online status wasn't always very accurate since the factory was far away in England. With in being right there, they should know the status of each car I would think. Very exciting.

Mine (S#552) still says "Reserved" which is odd since I've already done the MVPA thing.

if i had an early S # i would surely be anxious, but let's be honest, we can't expect weekly blog updates with video and press releases telling us what is happening moving forward. It would be sad if our enthusiasm became muddled into negative undertones because we didn't get our early-adopter/enthusiast weekly insider scoop fix. I enjoy how this community moderates itself while staying positive and mostly restraining its demands. Tesla has been incredibly receptive to this forum. My time on apteraforum or flytheroadclub, now THOSE were pins and needles moments! :scared: Viva la Tesla!

if i had an early S # i would surely be anxious, but let's be honest, we can't expect weekly blog updates with video and press releases telling us what is happening moving forward. It would be sad if our enthusiasm became muddled into negative undertones because we didn't get our early-adopter/enthusiast weekly insider scoop fix. I enjoy how this community moderates itself while staying positive and mostly restraining its demands. Tesla has been incredibly receptive to this forum. My time on apteraforum or flytheroadclub, now THOSE were pins and needles moments! :scared: Viva la Tesla!

+1. well put...

I sort of figured they'd hold off after the 6/22 deliveries to work through the change orders and address issues.

Still, the lack of anything interesting is a bit tough after the wash of info leading up to the 6/22 deliveries and the plethora of press over the next couple days. Portland gets it's test drive event in 2 weeks, so at least I have that to look forward to.