Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pirelli cintriato p7 rubbing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just put on a new set of Pirelli cinturato p7’s on my 14p85d 245/45/r19 and they’re rubbing on the inside fender at tight cornering. Anyone else experience this? I had pilot sport 3 on them previously but bought new wheels (oem Tesla wheels) and the guy had them mounted so figured might as well run them.

they aren’t touching when the wheels are straight and really don’t notice the rubbing until it’s quite cranked (which I would have to do every time I pull into my garage daily) will this cause any damage? I called the service center and they said it could but if the tire is the same size as oem (which I have verified three times they are) it shouldn’t be. I have a mobile tech coming out Friday for “the shudder” and will mention it then for sure but don’t want to cause any damage in the mean time.

I used the same 19 inch P7s for winter tires last year and am getting ready to use them again this winter. I like these tires for wear and for winter traction, but have noticed two things. The first is they seem to move from side to side more than the average tire on straight concrete surfaces with wavy grooves for drainage and traction. The second is my driver side front tire rubs when turning the steering wheel all the way to the right and then going in reverse. Mine barely rubs the wheel well and has not caused any visible damage.

I also have the P7+. Loved them on my previous Lexus LS 460. I have not noticed any rubbing on our S. It cod be the tire or the wheel well encroaching more than it should be when the vehicle was assembled. I love our S but Teslas are not exactly known great build quality.

Have you tried rotating the wheels/tires to see if the rubbing still occurs? If every tire runs then it is probably something out of spec with that corner of the car. Alignment?

I'm having this same issue with Michelin Primacy on aftermarket 19s with same offset as OEM. Normally an alignment helped for me but this time around SC center said alignment can't be done because of a broken aft link due to "outside impact influence" and won't cover this under warranty. Looked under the S and don't see any damages

I hear the rubbing when I turn to the right especially when reversing

I just put on a new set of Pirelli cinturato p7’s on my 14p85d 245/45/r19 and they’re rubbing on the inside fender at tight cornering. Anyone else experience this? I had pilot sport 3 on them previously but bought new wheels (oem Tesla wheels) and the guy had them mounted so figured might as well run them.

they aren’t touching when the wheels are straight and really don’t notice the rubbing until it’s quite cranked (which I would have to do every time I pull into my garage daily) will this cause any damage? I called the service center and they said it could but if the tire is the same size as oem (which I have verified three times they are) it shouldn’t be. I have a mobile tech coming out Friday for “the shudder” and will mention it then for sure but don’t want to cause any damage in the mean time.

Not sure how much you've drove on the pirelli but how is road noise so far. I'm looking into tires soon. I'm deciding between P7, Michelin PS3 Or Goodyear eagle touring with foam

Not sure how much you've drove on the pirelli but how is road noise so far. I'm looking into tires soon. I'm deciding between P7, Michelin PS3 Or Goodyear eagle touring with foam

hands down the pirellis are quieter than any other tires I’ve had on the car. (Primacy Mxm4. Michelin ps3) they’ve also got a very smooth ride. In the summer I’ll most definitely run the Michelin ps3 they’re a lot more fun if you will. But in the rainy. Snowy. I my months I’ll run the pirelli.

I did some testing in my driveway. The left side is rubbing more than the right and ONLY while in reverse and a very sharp angle. I’ll have the mobile tech look at it Friday. Since it’s at very low speeds and isn’t rubbing when in drive I’m not going to worry about it.

I did some testing in my driveway. The left side is rubbing more than the right and ONLY while in reverse and a very sharp angle. I’ll have the mobile tech look at it Friday. Since it’s at very low speeds and isn’t rubbing when in drive I’m not going to worry about it.

Exactly the same as mine. There is some play in the bushings whereby going in reverse the wheel will swing out towards the front end moreso than going in forward where it swings backwards. It happened with me when the MXM4's were new, as they wear you get more clearance of course but I took matters into my own hand and heated up the plastic fender right where the rub mark was; the radiator vent, with a torch and pushed it in a wee bit. No more rubbing.

In May the mobile tech somehow lifted the entire front number assembly have checked that alignment is within tolerance. This improved things a lot but I also think the position is the air suspension plays a role. I now experience occasional rubbing on new winter tires and rims from Tesla (Pirelli Sotto Zero 3) 19” rims, but mostly not.

My alignment report from May is below
0B1A8B46-78C7-434C-AFD4-4CC37C2E1983.jpeg

I recommend paying for a tolerance report and the seeing what Tesla suggests.

In May the mobile tech somehow lifted the entire front number assembly have checked that alignment is within tolerance. This improved things a lot but I also think the position is the air suspension plays a role. I now experience occasional rubbing on new winter tires and rims from Tesla (Pirelli Sotto Zero 3) 19” rims, but mostly not.

My alignment report from May is below View attachment 482362

I recommend paying for a tolerance report and the seeing what Tesla suggests.

Did Kal Tire actually make any adjustments? Because the numbers looked unchanged and the front toe is still out of spec. Nice numbers on the rear camber however.

hands down the pirellis are quieter than any other tires I’ve had on the car. (Primacy Mxm4. Michelin ps3) they’ve also got a very smooth ride. In the summer I’ll most definitely run the Michelin ps3 they’re a lot more fun if you will. But in the rainy. Snowy. I my months I’ll run the pirelli.

Got an update with your mobile tech?

He said that a lot of the cars have slight rubbing and mines only doing it at slow speeds and when turning very sharply in reverse. He said it’s not something to worry about. He said the only time it’s something that needs to be worrying about is when they rub when driving straight or when just simply turning a corner. So I’m not going to worry about it.

He said that a lot of the cars have slight rubbing and mines only doing it at slow speeds and when turning very sharply in reverse. He said it’s not something to worry about. He said the only time it’s something that needs to be worrying about is when they rub when driving straight or when just simply turning a corner. So I’m not going to worry about it.

True but if you're still under warranty I'd pursue getting them to fix it because obviously something like that shouldn't be happening. Taking mine next week to the SC to get this figured out

I did pull the trigger on some P7 + though because of a black Friday sale thanks for the info on yours!