Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pirelli Cintuarto P7 All Season Plus 2 — anyone try these?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was looking for new all seasons to put on my 19’s since the OEM Contintenals are just about done and I just noticed these on Tire Rack.

The previous generation of this tire has great reviews as well and based on other Model 3 owner’s stats, it’s also very efficient — one person reported getting the same efficiency with the 19’s as they did with their 18’s and aero wheels + covers.

The downside of the previous generation seemed to be wet traction and this new one improves on exactly that. Problem is I can’t find many reviews on this new generation and I’m curious if the larger contact patch and tread compound mean higher rolling resistance.

Here’s the link to the tires in case you can’t find them: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...+P7+All+Season+Plus+II&partnum=34VR9CP7ASP2XL

Hi,
I don't have any experience with these tires but I'm super interested as well.

I've reviewed many of the tire threads but they tend to be too complicated for a neophyte like me to be able to decipher across all the different rims available.

I also have the 19" stock rim.

I live in the Seattle area and the tires that came with it won't work very well all year. It would be very nice if this were the best answer to the 'which all season tire to get when you live in a moderate winter climate' question.

I live in the Seattle area and the tires that came with it won't work very well all year. It would be very nice if this were the best answer to the 'which all season tire to get when you live in a moderate winter climate' question.
Les Schwab recommends the Continental ExtremeContact DWS06:

When you need an all-season, ultra-high performance tire, the ExtremeContact DWS06 covers it all. This tire is specially tuned for rain, snow, and dry pavement. It’s an all-season tire that doesn’t skimp on performance or grip, giving you the confidence to tackle the road ahead. SportPlus Technology built into the ExtremeContact DWS06 combines all-season reliability with the thrill of top-notch performance. Plus, quick view indicators let you know how the tires are performing in any conditions, putting you in control of every corner and straightaway.

Size: 235/45R-18XL
Load Index: 98
Speed Rating: Y (stock Michelins are W)
UTQG: 560 AA A

Has anyone tried these?

My leased 2016 Audi A3 2.0T Quattro had these from the factory. They're actually not a bad tire - in the context of an All-Season tire. I found road noise to be fairly stable as they wore, they handled on the audi pretty well on some of my favorite backroads, and offered confident feel during heavy or emergency braking. I would say Audi fitted these onto the A3 for efficiency too, the design of the treads as well as the treadwear rating kind of tells most of the story. I don't think you'd be dissatisfied.

For me, I was between the DWS06 and the A/S 3+ (by Michelin). I went with the A/S 3+ due to reviews and a brief experience in the DWS06 which gives a more vague steering feel and greater flex in cornering due to a softer sidewall construction. The benefit of a softer sidewall is a bit more ride comfort. I've been very pleased with the A/S 3+ thus far and even took it out to Laguna Seca for a few laps. It's no PS4S, but held its own. Neither the DWS06 or the A/S 3+ will give you the efficiency of the P7 though. Just know you're always going to be trading some level of grip for efficiency.

Lower grip, will generally lead to longer braking distances in emergency situations - the tire you mount on your car could dictate whether or not you smash into the back of another vehicle or how you/your vehicle handles an emergency swerve. Just consider that for a moment.

• Informative
  • Love
Reactions: Wnuk and DR61
4900 miles in so far. Installed 12/25/2019.

Think you might have the previous generation, Pirelli just announced these in Feb 2020. Pirelli Releases Cinturato P7 All Season Plus II

Either way, how do you like them?

Someone else with the the first generation P7+’s said that with the stock 19” rims they were averaging 232 Wh/mi on their performance Model 3. They said it was comparable to their energy use from the 18” Aeros they’d upgraded from. What I’m mostly curious about is if the second generation P7+’s have the same great efficiency — I’d guess not since they have a larger contact patch which would increase rolling resistance (unless this is offset by the new compound they’re using).

• Informative
Reactions: DR61
My leased 2016 Audi A3 2.0T Quattro had these from the factory. They're actually not a bad tire - in the context of an All-Season tire. I found road noise to be fairly stable as they wore, they handled on the audi pretty well on some of my favorite backroads, and offered confident feel during heavy or emergency braking. I would say Audi fitted these onto the A3 for efficiency too, the design of the treads as well as the treadwear rating kind of tells most of the story. I don't think you'd be dissatisfied.

For me, I was between the DWS06 and the A/S 3+ (by Michelin). I went with the A/S 3+ due to reviews and a brief experience in the DWS06 which gives a more vague steering feel and greater flex in cornering due to a softer sidewall construction. The benefit of a softer sidewall is a bit more ride comfort. I've been very pleased with the A/S 3+ thus far and even took it out to Laguna Seca for a few laps. It's no PS4S, but held its own. Neither the DWS06 or the A/S 3+ will give you the efficiency of the P7 though. Just know you're always going to be trading some level of grip for efficiency.

Lower grip, will generally lead to longer braking distances in emergency situations - the tire you mount on your car could dictate whether or not you smash into the back of another vehicle or how you/your vehicle handles an emergency swerve. Just consider that for a moment.

That was likely the first generation P7+’s. The second generation was just announced by Pirelli a couple months ago: Pirelli Releases Cinturato P7 All Season Plus II

Reactions: gcmak
Think you might have the previous generation, Pirelli just announced these in Feb 2020. Pirelli Releases Cinturato P7 All Season Plus II

Either way, how do you like them?

Someone else with the the first generation P7+’s said that with the stock 19” rims they were averaging 232 Wh/mi on their performance Model 3. They said it was comparable to their energy use from the 18” Aeros they’d upgraded from. What I’m mostly curious about is if the second generation P7+’s have the same great efficiency — I’d guess not since they have a larger contact patch which would increase rolling resistance (unless this is offset by the new compound they’re using).
Wow! 232 wh/mi would be incredible even if it’s close to that. I’m averaging 298 wh/mi on my LR RWD on stock 19” Contisilents over 8k miles

I wonder how does it compared to something such as the Michelin CrossClimate+, another good performing All-Season tires as well.

I don't think these tires are XL rated, not sure if that matters for a car like a Model 3.

CrossClimate+ seem like the near-perfect all season tire, but they’re only made in 18” not 19” so they’re not an option unfortunately. As for the weight rating, it’s the same as the stock 19’s and is above the weight rating for the 18’s so shouldn’t be an issue.

Wow! 232 wh/mi would be incredible even if it’s close to that. I’m averaging 298 wh/mi on my LR RWD on stock 19” Contisilents over 8k miles

Yeah it would be! What made it even more amazing is that they were from Massachusetts (where I’m from!) where efficiency is well below what people get in California or the south, so to see they got those numbers was what really caught my eye regarding these tires. I think I’m just gonna wing it and get these new versions and see for myself if they’re as good as the first generation ones.

Reactions: PNWLeccy
Well, since I'm not able to find anyone who has these on a Model 3 yet (or any car, really) I’ve decided to be the first one. I’m getting them installed in a few days and will report back after a couple weeks on their efficiency. I’m coming from the stock tires that come on the 19” wheels, so I’m hoping these will be a lot more efficient.

Reactions: PNWLeccy
Well, since I'm not able to find anyone who has these on a Model 3 yet (or any car, really) I’ve decided to be the first one. I’m getting them installed in a few days and will report back after a couple weeks on their efficiency. I’m coming from the stock tires that come on the 19” wheels, so I’m hoping these will be a lot more efficient.

Let us know about noise levels and handling as well, if you can.

Wanted to give some early impressions after the first 300 miles with these tires in case anyone else is looking into buying them. Let’s start with the good:

Handling in wet and dry has been great. It’s been really rainy the past few days and the tires haven’t slipped once even when launching it. These tires are also much quieter than the stock Conti ProContact RX’s. They produce a much quieter hum than the Conti’s at around 40mph and they’re pretty quiet on the highway as well. Cornering with these also feels pretty good, it’s tight and controlled for an all season. No complaints there.

Now for the bad: efficiency. It’s been terrible. So far after nearly 300 miles of 80% highway/20% city driving I’m averaging about 330 Wh/mi. That’s way up from the 298 Wh/mi I’d averaged over 47k miles with the stock Conti’s (which are not efficient non-low rolling resistance tires). Even with my new winter tires that I just bought a few months ago I was averaging closer to 300 Wh/mi after 7k miles. I did some research and it shouldn’t take tires more than a couple hundred miles at most to break in, so I don’t expect this to improve too much nor have I noticed it improving as I’ve been driving on these tires.

Two examples of how bad this efficiency has been:

1.) Cruising around town going about 40mph with minimal HVAC on a 50 degree day — I drove about 10 miles and averaged 297 Wh/mi... on the stock Conti’s I would get around 265-270 Wh/mi at these speeds.

2.) Driving a steady 75mph down the mostly flat highway for 20 miles again with minimal HVAC on a 55 degree day — averaged 340 Wh/mi. Stock Conti’s would average 300 Wh/mi at this speed. Often times I drive at 80mph on autopilot and the stock Conti’s got ~310 Wh/mi at this speed.

So yeah, as you can see the efficiency has been extremely poor so far which I was not expecting. Going to keep them for another couple weeks, but if they don’t improve I’ll be swapping them out for Continental PureContact LS which is a low rolling resistance tire and has a tread specifically made for improved fuel efficiency. One owner (linked here, had a similar Wh/mi average as me with the stock Conti’s) is averaging 250-265 Wh/mi with them on the 19” rims with similar handling and noise to the Pirelli’s. Seems like they might be better in all areas, to be honest.

It has been very windy lately in MA
Possible / hopeful? cause for worse efficiency on the new tires.
The lack of traffic on the roads while great for AP are also worse for efficiently

That's definitely valid, but I've made sure to only take note of the efficiency I've been achieving on days where it's been sunny, 55-65 degrees, and not much wind. On the days where it's been rainy/windy and closer to the 40's, my energy usage has been between 480-520 Wh/mi... those are numbers that I've rarely seen even on really cold winter days.

This past weekend was enough for me to decide to swap out these tires though. I took a trip up to Maine and kept it at a steady 80mph the entire way (simulating my 240 commute that I used to do @ 80mph where my average efficiency was 299 Wh/mi in over a year of driving). I watched the energy graph, kept note of any excessive head or tailwinds (there wasn't any), and the weather was 62 degrees and sunny. From my experience and TeslaFi data, the stock Continental's would average close to 295-300 Wh/mi at this speed. The Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus 2's were averaging 340-360 Wh/mi even at points where the highway was completely flat. Really, I just don't understand how these tires can be THIS inefficient.

On the way back home I made sure to drive slowly on backroads with slow acceleration, ran HVAC very conservatively, and kept it at 75mph on the highway (really slow, was getting passed by literally everyone). Did that for about 40 miles and still I couldn't get it below 320 Wh/mi. I've now got close to 500 miles on these tires and nothing seems to be changing, so I'm giving Town Fair Tire a call and replacing these with the Continental PureContact LS which are a verified low rolling resistance tire with an eco focused tread compound. They're also 4 pounds lighter per tire, so that should also be slightly better for efficiency and 0-60 times for when I want to have some fun.

Les Schwab recommends the Continental ExtremeContact DWS06:

When you need an all-season, ultra-high performance tire, the ExtremeContact DWS06 covers it all. This tire is specially tuned for rain, snow, and dry pavement. It’s an all-season tire that doesn’t skimp on performance or grip, giving you the confidence to tackle the road ahead. SportPlus Technology built into the ExtremeContact DWS06 combines all-season reliability with the thrill of top-notch performance. Plus, quick view indicators let you know how the tires are performing in any conditions, putting you in control of every corner and straightaway.

Size: 235/45R-18XL
Load Index: 98
Speed Rating: Y (stock Michelins are W)
UTQG: 560 AA A

Has anyone tried these?

Yes. Had two blowouts and they lasted about 20,000 miles. Continental disowned them. Anything with Continental name on it is GARBAGE. Pirelli is the far better choice. Warranteed to 60,000 miles. Have 48,000 on them and going strong!

Yes. Had two blowouts and they lasted about 20,000 miles. Continental disowned them. Anything with Continental name on it is GARBAGE. Pirelli is the far better choice. Warranteed to 60,000 miles. Have 48,000 on them and going strong!

Think you’re replying to the wrong thread. I got the Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus 2’s to replace the stock Continental ProContact RX which lasted me 50k miles and were fine, but used a bit more energy than I liked. Somehow these new P7+’s are even more inefficient than those were. I’m now returning these Pirelli’s for the Continental PureContact LS which is is advertised as using their ecoplus technology (whatever that means, all I care is that efficiency is a focus of the tire that I buy) and special tread compounds to improve fuel efficiency and tread wear. Based on other Model 3 owners they’re very efficient and handle great.

I plan on updating this thread once I get the Conti’s put on in a few days. Should make for some nice back to back comparisons between the two tires and will hopefully be really helpful for anyone who tire shops in the future and comes across these options on Google. Doing my part to add some detailed data for anyone who finds this thread.

• Informative
Reactions: DR61 and jgrgnt
Thanks for all of the detail. Real shame about the Pirelli's
Not in the market yet for replacement tires but trying to decide in advance what they will be so is very useful to me and I am sure others.

Those numbers with the Pirelli's are really poor.

Any issues driving to Maine from Mass right now? Not trying to be a jerk, I would like to go for a drive as well, maybe go for a walk on the Maine coast (of course observing social distancing, wearing a mask, would drive home same day, etc...) but thought all Maine residents are under strict stay at home order and anyone entering must quarantine for 14 days before being out in public space?

Thanks for all of the detail. Real shame about the Pirelli's
Not in the market yet for replacement tires but trying to decide in advance what they will be so is very useful to me and I am sure others.

Those numbers with the Pirelli's are really poor.

Any issues driving to Maine from Mass right now? Not trying to be a jerk, I would like to go for a drive as well, maybe go for a walk on the Maine coast (of course observing social distancing, wearing a mask, would drive home same day, etc...) but thought all Maine residents are under strict stay at home order and anyone entering must quarantine for 14 days before being out in public space?

It is a shame, I had high hopes for them with how good the original P7+ was. I’ll definitely be posting detailed stats on the Continental PureContact LS once I get those put on tomorrow. Really interested to see how much of a difference there will be, but I’m expecting it to be quite noticeable. As for driving to Maine, I had no problems. I only went for a drive to get out of the house and also to see how efficient the new tires were. Only saw one cop the whole way down 95 and he was in Mass. I didn’t see any in NH or Maine.