Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus tires installed...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SabrToothSqrl

Dec 5, 2014
PA
My sufficient use of the GO pedal in my S85 has resulted in the stock Goodyear Eagle RS-A2, going from a tread depth of new of 10/32" down to 3/32" in about 7500 miles on the tail end.

I planned to swap them to the front, and ride another 7,000 as the fronts went from 10/32" to 8/32" in the same 7,500 miles.

Due to a screw through one of the 8/32" tires, and having my Pirelli's nearby, I had them put the Pirellis on.

I'm only at about 200 miles into the new tires, and so far... not impressed. Do I have to wait to break them in? I thought maybe a few miles would run the mold release chemicals off the treads.

The treads look fine, and according to Tire Rack these tires beat the RS-A2s up and down for grip and wear...

When utilizing the full GO of the S85, I get no traction control lights with the RS-A2s. Full HP hits the ground.
With the Pirelli tires, I get flashing traction control, reduced power, and a slower 0-60.

Not to mention, when the RS-A2s let go, they slide a bit and make near no noise. When the P7s let go I get tire chirp.

I'm not giving up on these 2.2x as expensive tires just yet, but I'm seriously concerned that I no longer have the grip I want.

Noise - feels (sounds) the same as the RS-A2s. Grip.. feel less than the RA-A2s.

When I go to slide the tail, the Good Years would just slightly let go and slide smooth. The P7s will chip and flash my T/C light...

I wanted more tread life, and know that means a harder rubber, and generally less grip, but according to all the reviews... it had better grip?!

We shall see how they hold up... 70,000 tread life warranty...

TL/DR: Don't buy the P7s.

Well, the verdict is in. I wanted at least 500 miles to break these in before writing a review. It's official. They suck. Should have stuck w/the Goodyear Eagle RS-A2.

I called Tire Rack, and I'm within the 30 days, and 2/32" of wear, so they will take them back. I'd get a $892.8 refund, and they would pay to ship them back.

I'd then have to pay $545 for 4 new good years. + road force balance... because I like it smooth.

so, in all, I'm looking at two choices.

1. Do nothing - realizing I now have LESS GRIP for MORE expensive tires. Even though all the reviews were good. - cost $0.00
They have a 70k treadlife warranty, but honestly I don't even want them. So... I Could just punish the tires with my car's 380 HP and brakes until they are worn to nothing in 14,000 miles, getting pirelli to buy me another set... of tires I don't actually want... ugh

2. after some quick excel checking, I could get 4 good years, installed, and end up with $220 in my pocket... however, the actual difference is $190.

so, it was $190 for me to find out these tires suck, and have them replaced... or... just ride it out.

Can't win lately. Sure it's fun now that I can really slide the car, but that means I don't have GRIP. When I need to STOP, I NEED GRIP.

Some quicker math here:

Based on price alone;

$957 / 26364 miles = 0.0363 / mile

$545 / 15000 miles = 0.0363 / mile

I have to have these tires for at least 26,300 miles to break even on wear. If mount/road force balance is $130, and I need 1 more w/good year

that's

545+545+130 = $1220 for 30,000 miles = 0.04066 / mile

in the first comparison, I didn't calc mount/balance as it's the same for the first 15,000 miles.

what does all this math mean?

i'm estimating tire life based on product cost and it could all be bull.

Put 20,000 on car in 1 year and 5 months.

what's my stress worth? driving on tires I don't like for 26,000 miles vs. 'wasting' $200?

guess i'm going good year!

I've been happy with mine over the past few months, few thousand miles. Good balance of ride comfort, rolling resistance/efficiency and noise. The traction issue was a bigger problem for me in the first few weeks, can't break them loose now on a normal surface (but power output from the 60 is obviously less).

day 1 grip was awful, which is why I waited for 500 miles to review them, and grip did improve, but it's still not where the good years were. and keep in mind, these specific tires. not the makes themselves.

Also, not sure if it's true, but the service center manager, told me that Tesla won't touch non OEM type tires. They won't remove them, won't balance them. Even if it's a warranty issue.

so if you have a TPM sensor fail, and need a non OEM tire removed, apparently.. it's on you?

I'm not sure if that's accurate, and thought it odd... they are just tires.

I"m just ticked because this was supposed to save me time and money! now it's cost me both. I enjoy driving the car, and know it's grip/limits.

Had I always been on the P7s, we wouldn't even be here. I'd think that's how it always was. Same reason I haven't driven a 85D yet... but knowing what I had was better, I'm at a loss...

I was under the impression the Pirellis were noticeably quieter than the Michelin or Goodyear tires. I did get 22K miles from the Pirelli tires - I was impressed they lasted that long. If the Goodyear tires were just as quiet I would switch tomorrow - seriously I am getting tires tomorrow.

I believe my math found that you need to get about double the miles from the P7s to match the RSA-2s, due to cost.

If you are getting 22k and I got 15k (with.. 'enthusiastic' driving) then the GY grip better and are a better value.

Of course the P7s have a 70,000 tread life warranty... so you could just get another set cheaper.

I ordered before noon on Thursday, my Good Years will be at my home today. Install on Tues and Wed. (I take wheels off and to tire place). I'm picky like that.

UPS picks up the P7s at my place Monday, then we wait for refund... all the while I'm out of pocket for the new + mount/balance.

good times.