Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pirelli P Zero All Season Plus Elect 255/45 R20 thoughts?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone have these for their MYLR? How is your efficiency looking with the Induction wheels with the new Pirellis (Wh/mi)? I was doing research on Tirerack and it said the Pirelli weight was 31lbs per tire vs the OEM Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5 (M+S) of 25lbs. Per the Discount Tire website, it said it was 27lbs per tire for the Pirellis.

For over 32k mi, I am getting about 274 Wh/mi with mostly highway driving on the OEM Goodyears.

How is the ride quality and dry/wet handling compared to the OEM Goodyears?

I just got mine today! I don't have enough miles to have an impression on efficiency, but with regard to ride quality, it's a nice improvement. Also, the steering feel on center is much better than the goodyears. I had an issue with the good years where it never wanted to track straight and pulled to the left. The tires are also at least as quiet, if not more quiet than the goodyears. To me, a much better tire overall. Really hoping the efficiency is as good (and maybe better), but need more mileage on them.

Anyone have these for their MYLR? How is your efficiency looking with the Induction wheels with the new Pirellis (Wh/mi)? I was doing research on Tirerack and it said the Pirelli weight was 31lbs per tire vs the OEM Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5 (M+S) of 25lbs. Per the Discount Tire website, it said it was 27lbs per tire for the Pirellis.

For over 32k mi, I am getting about 274 Wh/mi with mostly highway driving on the OEM Goodyears.

How is the ride quality and dry/wet handling compared to the OEM Goodyears?

There is another thread but in Model 3 section. I'm also looking to change to P zero A/S+ Elect on my 2018 Model 3 LR RWD 19inch when time comes. i'm debating between P zero Elect (designed for EV/Foam/heard it has better efficiency vs stock) or P7 A/S Plus 3 (no foam/long mileage thread warranty/ cheaper/high tire rack rating review).

There is another thread but in Model 3 section. I'm also looking to change to P zero A/S+ Elect on my 2018 Model 3 LR RWD 19inch when time comes. i'm debating between P zero Elect (designed for EV/Foam/heard it has better efficiency vs stock) or P7 A/S Plus 3 (no foam/long mileage thread warranty/ cheaper/high tire rack rating review).

I did see this thread relating to the Model 3, but I was still wondering how that translates to the MYLR OEM Goodyears vs. the new Pirellis.

I just got mine today! I don't have enough miles to have an impression on efficiency, but with regard to ride quality, it's a nice improvement. Also, the steering feel on center is much better than the goodyears. I had an issue with the good years where it never wanted to track straight and pulled to the left. The tires are also at least as quiet, if not more quiet than the goodyears. To me, a much better tire overall. Really hoping the efficiency is as good (and maybe better), but need more mileage on them.
So, here is an update after driving about 500 miles on my P Zero Elects….

I still love the way they drive, the quietness, and the ride quality.

The efficiency is about 15 wh/mi higher than the Goodyear Assymetric 5’s. Maybe it will go down a little after they break in a bit more, but I do not think they will ever be as efficient as the Goodyear’s. This is mainly because the tire is heavy (31 lbs/tire advertised). Or maybe it’s better to say that the Goodyears are light (26 lbs/tire advertised). And you can feel the weight difference when accelerating and regen braking.

My primary goal was to get a tire that is all season similarly efficient to the Goodyears, but with better treadlife. The Pirelli’s are AS’s, have guaranteed better treadlife, but the efficiency isn’t there. Due to this, plus the slower acceleration and braking, I’ve decided I’m going back to discount tire and swapping for a set of Michelin PS4’s AS. My hunch is that these will be marginally lighter, with similar or better driving characteristics. I think it’ll optimize the factors I care about, but will still compromise slightly in order to get the better treadlife and “true” all season capability…

Reactions: ucla95

The efficiency is about 15 wh/mi higher than the Goodyear Assymetric 5’s. Maybe it will go down a little after they break in a bit more, but I do not think they will ever be as efficient as the Goodyear’s. This is mainly because the tire is heavy (31 lbs/tire advertised). Or maybe it’s better to say that the Goodyears are light (26 lbs/tire advertised). And you can feel the weight difference when accelerating and regen braking.

My primary goal was to get a tire that is all season similarly efficient to the Goodyears, but with better treadlife. The Pirelli’s are AS’s, have guaranteed better treadlife, but the efficiency isn’t there. Due to this, plus the slower acceleration and braking, I’ve decided I’m going back to discount tire and swapping for a set of Michelin PS4’s AS. My hunch is that these will be marginally lighter, with similar or better driving characteristics. I think it’ll optimize the factors I care about, but will still compromise slightly in order to get the better treadlife and “true” all season capability…
what does the stock Goodyear tire weigh, do you know?

So I had the Michelin's installed on Monday of this week and have driven them almost 300 miles. My unscientific testing has shown that the efficiency seems to be about the same as the Pirellis, but maybe even slightly worse. Could be the temperatures or weather that accounts for the difference, but hard to tell. Here is a quick summary of the Pros/Cons of the Michelins vs mainly the Pirellis in my experience (note I also mention Goodyears).

Pros:
- Much better handling. Very little tire "wind up", which I hadn't mentioned yet about the Pirellis, but I did notice that they were worse than the Goodyears. I'd say the Michelins are as good or better than the Goodyears in this regard.
- Steering feel is even better than the Pirellis and the Goodyears (by far vs the Goodyears - although I think the ones I had were particularly bad and others may not have the problems I was having)
- Same good/smooth ride quality of the Pirellis
- Acceleration feels better than Pirellis. Not as good as Goodyears, but close
- Regen braking feels better than Pirelli, maybe not quite as good as Goodyears
- Treadlife will be in the same realm as the Pirellis (warranties are within 5000 miles of each other)

Cons:
- Efficiency is worse than the Goodyears, but maybe about the same or slightly worse than the Pirellis
- Not as quiet as the Pirellis, but still quiet and probably on par with the Goodyears (maybe slightly better)
- More expensive

In summary, I am glad I got these tires. I do wish they were as efficient as the Goodyears, but I'm starting to realize that's going to be difficult to achieve with a tire that has a much better tread life than the Goodyears, which was the original goal. Additionally, every other aspect is better than the Goodyears in my opinion. My overall ranking of the 3 tires:

1. Michelin
2. Pirelli
3. Goodyear

Reactions: ucla95
I replaced the OEM Goodyear Eagle F1’s that lasted 29,000 miles with the Pirelli PZero AS +electric. I only have 300 miles on them and since we are having springtime weather here in the Boston area I really can’t say my increased range is due to the tires or the warmer temps. I have driven them in heavy rain and they handled great. I can also attest that they are NOTICEABLY quieter and take potholes/road defects much less harshly than the OEM Goodyears.
2020 MY/LR/AWD/20’’ Induction Wheels

I replaced the OEM Goodyear Eagle F1’s that lasted 29,000 miles with the Pirelli PZero AS +electric. I only have 300 miles on them and since we are having springtime weather here in the Boston area I really can’t say my increased range is due to the tires or the warmer temps. I have driven them in heavy rain and they handled great. I can also attest that they are NOTICEABLY quieter and take potholes/road defects much less harshly than the OEM Goodyears.
2020 MY/LR/AWD/20’’ Induction Wheels
How are you liking the Pirelli’s now? Back in the market after 2.5 years, researching Michelin PS AS4 (currents) alternatives.

How are you liking the Pirelli’s now? Back in the market after 2.5 years, researching Michelin PS AS4 (currents) alternatives.
Still loving the Pirelli PZero AS +electric. Put about 4000 miles on them so far. They seem even quieter than when they were new. Reduced noise and no range hit were my 2 main priorities and they are thankfully living up to that. Handling in snow/ice and dry road cornering were lesser priorities. I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee for severe winter driving and I have to say our MY handles quite well on sharp curves, exit ramps and windy country roads with these AS tires. I’ll have to give an update when we get our first snow here in the northeast which might be soon.

Still loving the Pirelli PZero AS +electric. Put about 4000 miles on them so far. They seem even quieter than when they were new. Reduced noise and no range hit were my 2 main priorities and they are thankfully living up to that. Handling in snow/ice and dry road cornering were lesser priorities. I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee for severe winter driving and I have to say our MY handles quite well on sharp curves, exit ramps and windy country roads with these AS tires. I’ll have to give an update when we get our first snow here in the northeast which might be soon.
Thanks! Not really concerned with the cold performance (occasionally), but the noise, performance, and range hit are considerations. Nice warranty too as I’m sure 25K is more realistic on my MY. Getting back $500 or so on my MPS AS4’s.

Reactions: BeeBee