Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pirelli P Zero Tires Good / Bad?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm looking to get a set of 235/35/20 tires for my new wheels. I was originally going to go with Toyo Proxes Sport A/S, but they are back-ordered. I found a barely used set of Pirelli p zero tires for $500 installed, but I have not heard too many good things about them. I'm in the San Diego area and the roads are alright.

From people who have had them, are they decent? How many miles can I expect out of them with the occasional spirited driving? Looking for input on whether I should pull the trigger on them or not.

Which P Zero tire are you asking about? I believe Pirelli uses that branding on many tires.

If you mean the Model 3 Performance OE (Original Equipment) Tesla-spec Pirelli PZ4, it has mediocre grip for a summer performance tire, and squeals too much in hard driving. I can't speak to its tread life, I swapped mine out at about 1k miles along with the stock wheels. My replacement 245/45R18 tires have better grip dry and wet, and they don't squeal like the PZ4.

What size wheels are you putting these on? Could probably go wider, like 245 at least. The 2021+ M3P stock setup of 235/35R20 on 20x9" Uberturbine wheels is stretched, I'd recommend wider tires for 9" wide wheels. Even for 8.5" I'd really suggest 245s, they'll fit just fine too and give you a slight bit of extra sidewall to boot.

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
Which P Zero tire are you asking about? I believe Pirelli uses that branding on many tires.

If you mean the Model 3 Performance OE (Original Equipment) Tesla-spec Pirelli PZ4, it has mediocre grip for a summer performance tire, and squeals too much in hard driving. I can't speak to its tread life, I swapped mine out at about 1k miles along with the stock wheels. My replacement 245/45R18 tires have better grip dry and wet, and they don't squeal like the PZ4.

What size wheels are you putting these on? Could probably go wider, like 245 at least. The 2021+ M3P stock setup of 235/35R20 on 20x9" Uberturbine wheels is stretched, I'd recommend wider tires for 9" wide wheels. Even for 8.5" I'd really suggest 245s, they'll fit just fine too and give you a slight bit of extra sidewall to boot.
Yes, the OEM Pirelli P Zero tesla spec. They are going on a 20 x 8.5 wheel. Thought about going 245 as well, but don't mine the look of a 235 on an 8.5" wheel. Thanks for the info on them.

I'm running them on my stock ubers pushing close to 17k miles. They're just meh compared to other tires I've had on other cars.

Pros: Decently quiet, looks nice, 'stretched' look (if you like that), it's OEM.
Cons: Worst rim protection ever (you need to be VERY slow and careful on chunky driveways and avoid potholes like crazy), not all that grippy for a summer tire, sidewall (you can argue there isn't one) seems soft in the corners, compound seems softer as I get more embedded rocks, etc. and have already had 2 punctures.

Reactions: mpgxsvcd and tm1v2
I'm looking to get a set of 235/35/20 tires for my new wheels. I was originally going to go with Toyo Proxes Sport A/S, but they are back-ordered. I found a barely used set of Pirelli p zero tires for $500 installed, but I have not heard too many good things about them. I'm in the San Diego area and the roads are alright.

From people who have had them, are they decent? How many miles can I expect out of them with the occasional spirited driving? Looking for input on whether I should pull the trigger on them or not.

be cautious on the model of p zeros. I bought a set of Porsche N0 spec ones and put them on my last tesla, and they felt like driving on marshmallows the sidewalls were so soft. Had them on for a few days and had discount tire remove them and replace with PS4S.

there are major differences in the tire construction between manufacturer specs even for the same tire. the N0 ones are not meant to deal with the excessive weight of an EV.

• Informative
Reactions: mpgxsvcd and tm1v2
Btw I agree with @euro.r that the OE PZ4 were nicely quiet for highway cruising, as performance tires go. Being Tesla spec they are foam lined of course, I don't know how quiet regular PZ4 without the liner are. My 245/45R18 Bridgestone Potenza Sport (no liner) are slightly louder on the highway (still not bad at all for a performance tire), but they make up for that by being much quieter in hard driving through the twisties. :)

I didn't *hate* the PZ4, I mean they were certainly better than a non-performance tire like the MXM4 that base Model 3's come with. But I was never satisfied with the PZ4's grip, they are lacking performance compared to other tires in their category from Bridgestone, Continental, Michelin.

235 on 8.5" wide should be fine. I do prefer 245 on 8.5" wide (that's my setup now) but the difference is small, not a big deal.

Last edited:
For $500 mounted, I'd do it. If you don't like them, you can swap them out for something else down the road and not be out much. I think they would be good on an 8.5" rim (I hate the stretch on my Ubers)
They don't have the ULTIMATE grip, for sure, but the fact that I can break them loose a bit (oversteer) to get the car to rotate a bit in corners make it feel more playful (for a 4000 lb. car). My coilovers help toward this aspect, I'm sure...

Mileage wise I can't help. Only 6500 miles on the car

One area I can comment on is that they are actually not bad in the rain and cutting through puddles at high speed. I've had some tires on my BMW 335i that were absolutely terrifying in the rain. They were Toyos FYI. I got rid of them after 1,000 miles bc I had no confidence in them at all in the rain. The Yokohamas I had were not that great in the rain either.

did you end up getting them. Saw a good deal on P ZERO A/S and debating b/t that and Elect. which can give more range..
I ended up going with Toyo Proxes Sport A/S. I don't have many miles on them yet, but so far so good. I was looking for something that will last a while and I don't care too much about performance. I got a really good deal on them through Discount Tire, $830 OTD w/ certificates. I wish I would have gone with a 245 instead of the 235 I went with. I didn't realize how low of profile a 235/35 is.

Some things I've noticed over the OEM Michelin 18's:

Handling is more precise
Definitely louder on rougher roads (20" vs 18" so expected)
There is some loss of range (280's Wh/m vs 260's Wh/m)
20's look much better than the 18's 😏 (That's what I tell myself anyways)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: JohnnyMa and tm1v2
I ended up going with Toyo Proxes Sport A/S. I don't have many miles on them yet, but so far so good. I was looking for something that will last a while and I don't care too much about performance. I got a really good deal on them through Discount Tire, $830 OTD w/ certificates. I wish I would have gone with a 245 instead of the 235 I went with. I didn't realize how low of profile a 235/35 is.

Some things I've noticed over the OEM Michelin 18's:

Handling is more precise
Definitely louder on rougher roads (20" vs 18" so expected)
There is some loss of range (280's Wh/m vs 260's Wh/m)
20's look much better than the 18's 😏 (That's what I tell myself anyways)

how would 245 's impact range and comfort? I don't care about performance as much either. Not sure if I can even do it w/ 18 wheels.

I ended up with P Elects have been great so far (only about 3 days) . Quiet, good regen.

they put in a reg. P Zero A/S in error, which I'll get switched out soon.

how would 245 's impact range and comfort? I don't care about performance as much either. Not sure if I can even do it w/ 18 wheels.
@vickh You can fit 245s just fine on the stock aero wheels. Both 245 and 235 are recommended sizes for 8.5" wide wheels. I'm running 245/45R18 on my 18x8.5" wheels. My other Tesla came with 245 on 8.5" wide and so did my last ICE car.

245/45 vs 235/35 is only a small difference, don't expect to feel much difference or measure any efficiency difference in real world use, if everything else is equal (same tire, equivalent pressure).

245/45 has slightly taller sidewalls and therefore slightly larger outer diameter. Doubt you'll feel the sidewall difference but in theory it should be better for comfort, just slightly. Larger diameter means very slightly taller effective drive ratio with our single speed drivetrain. That could effect efficiency, whether better or worse would depend on the motor characteristics and also the speeds you drive at, I can't make any guess there. It's a very small difference though, I doubt you could ever measure its efficiency effects consistently in real world testing.

The wider width should benefit grip but be less aerodynamic.

For me the slight (theoretical) benefits of 245 on 8.5" wide wheels outweigh the slight (theoretical) drawbacks vs 235. Your preferences may vary. :)

• Informative
Reactions: vickh
I just got a set yesterday for my 2019 LR RWD and love them. The ride is noticeably improved, they're clearly quieter, etc....basically all praise so far. I'm not sure how much is due to them simply being new tires vs worn ones.
We'll see on the efficiency.

(duplicate post)