Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pirelli Scorpion Zero tires are all season tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The DWS06 is significantly better in the snow than the OEM Pirelli's. The caveat is - as long as the S still shows. The treat has D W S stamped in them - Dry, Wet, Snow. Once the S disappears, they're crap in the snow as the top compound has worn.
By "OEM Pirelli's" it sounds like you are talking about the ones that come on the 22" wheels which are the base variant where the literature says they can drive in light snow, but the tire doesn't have an M+S rating and the words all season don't appear on the tire in the pictures I've seen. They'll be out-performed by the A/S and the A/S Plus variants in snow. Tirerack does list both the OEM base variant and the A/S Plus variant for that car and the ratings on the A/S Plus are way better than the OEM variant (and similar to the DWS, but the DWS has more reviews so I'd trust its ratings more).

So, yes, on 22" wheels I would steer away from the OEM tire towards the DWS, but the Pirelli Scorpion A/S Plus is a possible alternative, especially if its good ratings hold up as more customers report in.

Tesla also uses Pirelli tires on their (19/20") winter packages, and those could also be called OEM, but those are dedicated snow tires (Pirelli Scorpion Winter) which are in a different class and would outperform all of the others due to being designed specifically for snow and ice. I was assuming that nobody here is talking about those wheels/tires...

I recently looked at a wide variety of these tires and did some research.
Here are most, if not all, of the models in the Pirelli Scorpion line of tires.

Scorpion Verde
Scorpion Verde All Season (A/S)
Scorpion Verde A/S Plus

Scorpion Zero
Scorpion Zero A/S
Scorpion Zero A/S Plus
Scorpion Zero Asimmetrico
Scorpion Zero A/s Run Flat
A key item missing from this list is the the Scorpion Zero Asimmetrico apparently comes in a "regular" version for non-Teslas, and a "noise cancelling version" for Teslas. Has anyone tried the noise cancelling version?

My wife's 2017 MX is due for new tires. Her OEMs were Continental cross contact LX sport, but I'm inclined to find something else. I've narrowed it down to the Scorpion Zero Asimmetrico with noise cancelling, the Verde All Season Plus, and the Continental DWS 06. Anyone prepared to compare these?

The discussion on rain and snow driving is helpful (we live in Oregon), but no one has mentioned noise. The MX is already a loud car, so it's important to have quiet tires. Anyone have comment on noise?

Thanks,.

Here is my experience with Model X tires... Not snow related as I live in sunny South Florida. If I ever get snow here I won't be driving for sure.

I bought OEM rear tires on 5/20/20 (Continental CrossContact LX Sport with foam) and this is how one of them looked earlier this week when I replace it

image0.jpegIMG_7159.jpg

The tire had at most 12K miles on it. The most worn part of the tire is from the inside of the truck.

I paid about $300 for each of these tires. I don't think the price is worth it for the time and miles I got out of them.

I decided to replace the rear tires with a completely different tire. I found a great deal on Tire Rack for the Pirelli Scorpion Zero A/S Run Flat at about $180 each. The problem I have now is that they don't make this particular tire for the front 265/45/R20. At the my 2 front tires are not run flat, Continental CrossContact

I'm considering buying the Scorpion Zero A/S Plus for the front. At least the thread pattern would be similar, but I would have 2 run flats and 2 non-run flats.

Does anyone think this is a bad idea or are there another ideas, considering I installed the run flats this week and won't change them for hopefully 3 or more years?

Thanks,
Alex

Here is my experience with Model X tires... Not snow related as I live in sunny South Florida. If I ever get snow here I won't be driving for sure.

I bought OEM rear tires on 5/20/20 (Continental CrossContact LX Sport with foam) and this is how one of them looked earlier this week when I replace it

View attachment 767393View attachment 767394

The tire had at most 12K miles on it. The most worn part of the tire is from the inside of the truck.

I paid about $300 for each of these tires. I don't think the price is worth it for the time and miles I got out of them.

I decided to replace the rear tires with a completely different tire. I found a great deal on Tire Rack for the Pirelli Scorpion Zero A/S Run Flat at about $180 each. The problem I have now is that they don't make this particular tire for the front 265/45/R20. At the my 2 front tires are not run flat, Continental CrossContact

I'm considering buying the Scorpion Zero A/S Plus for the front. At least the thread pattern would be similar, but I would have 2 run flats and 2 non-run flats.

Does anyone think this is a bad idea or are there another ideas, considering I installed the run flats this week and won't change them for hopefully 3 or more years?

Thanks,
Alex
I would avoid having different brand/tires on the front and back.
Primary reason: Friction and control are different. Imagine hitting the brakes and the front tires get less friction, the back tires get more.
Think about a point where the back tires may want to slide in a situation while the front tires are sticky.
It's best to go with the same, for you and your brakes.

Had the Contis Extreme contact after Pirelli zeros and the Contis were worse. Tire rack allowed a return and I am back to Pirelli Zero AS. Not sure how you drive but since 2017 with my MX Pirrelli beats Conti anything and don’t even ask about Michelin.