Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pirelli tires for 20s

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi EK993,

What tires are supplied standard on the 20" silver rims?
It probably depends on what region of the country you live in...
My Model X was delivered to Chicago in March 2018.
Its tires on 20 in silver wheels are: Continental Cross Contact Sport LX.
M + S 275/45 R20 110V

I don't think these have the silent foam in them.
They are not "loud."

Shawn

Hi EK993,

What tires are supplied standard on the 20" silver rims?
It probably depends on what region of the country you live in...
My Model X was delivered to Chicago in March 2018.
Its tires on 20 in silver wheels are: Continental Cross Contact Sport LX.
M + S 275/45 R20 110V

I don't think these have the silent foam in them.
They are not "loud."

Shawn

Thanks - am in CT, My main priority for the X is a top performing all season tire that can handle snow. Managed pretty well with all seasons on a Range Rover for the past 7 years. Not keen on keeping a separate set of winter rims / snow tires.

That’s great! How about range? Any differences?

I recently purchased these tires as well and agree they are just as loud/quiet as OEM. It is a lower tone though, so to me they are less noticeable and my wife says it puts her to sleep. Regarding range, the last 3k miles I drove on the OEM tires i averaged 333Wh/m. I've driven about 6k miles with the Pirelli's and have averaged 358Wh/m in the last 5k. So about a 9% range loss.

One thing to keep in mind, and I'm sure this is true with most/all tires, is that the first 500 miles on these tires were brutal. and was seeing up to 20% range loss. I forgot about tire break-in and almost swapped them out until a friend reminded me. Don't purchase them and go straight into a long road trip with questionable charging options.

Thanks - am in CT, My main priority for the X is a top performing all season tire that can handle snow. Managed pretty well with all seasons on a Range Rover for the past 7 years. Not keen on keeping a separate set of winter rims / snow tires.
the pirelli tires are not snow tires despite being labelled 'all season'. For some reason, Ford loves putting these things on trucks. They suck in snow, and after a few miles of wear, they suck in rain as well.

I recently replaced the tires on my X's 20" wheels with Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus tires after driving on the OEM Michelin Performance tires.
I am trying to get these as well (instead of Scorpion Zero), but America's tire and Tire Rack say they don't fit Model X 75D (the speed rating doesn't match).

Which model X do you have and can you please share the specific tires you ordered? Also, are you still happy with them?

Folks with scorpion zero - how much range degradation do you observe? With a 75D Model X, the range is pretty crappy as it is :(

I have the pirelli verde all season. No issues thus far after 4000ish miles, as long as gets more than 25k miles I will buy again. Honestly i haven’t noticed too much range degradation, maybe 3-5% if any. Definitely less than 10%. We are not super spirited drivers in the X so handling seems fine and in SoCal have not needed to test it in snow.

Here’s what I bought from Discount Tire:

PIRELLI
PIR SCORPION VERDE A/S PLUS
265 /45 R20 108H XL BSW
Item #19512 QTY:2

PIRELLI
275 /45 R20 110V XL BSW
Item #19539 QTY:2

Reactions: vkathuria
I have the pirelli verde all season. No issues thus far after 4000ish miles, as long as gets more than 25k miles I will buy again. Honestly i haven’t noticed too much range degradation, maybe 3-5% if any. Definitely less than 10%. We are not super spirited drivers in the X so handling seems fine and in SoCal have not needed to test it in snow.

Here’s what I bought from Discount Tire:

PIRELLI
265 /45 R20 108H XL BSW
Item #19512 QTY:2

PIRELLI
275 /45 R20 110V XL BSW
Item #19539 QTY:2

Do you mind if I ask how much you paid? They are quoting me $1400 installed at Discount Tire.

Do you mind if I ask how much you paid? They are quoting me $1400 installed at Discount Tire.

Sure! My order confirmation was $970 after tax. Front tires (Scorpion Verde A/S Plus 265 /45 R20 108H XL BSW) were $171 each, rear tire (Pirelli Scorpion Verde A/S Plus 275 /45 R20 110V XL BSW) were $235 each.

I can’t remember if I found a good pricematch at the time but thy do price match. In addition see if discount tire direct as a source to pricematch. I want to say I saved an extra $50 on the price above by price matching when I got there.

I am looking to get Scorpion Verde with new wheels.
But in the mean time, put on Nexen N'fera RU5 since the Continental CrossContact LX fronts are worn on the inside at 38,000 miles.

The Nexen at $111/ea was a good price to hold me over until my decision on wheels have been selected. I can't say anything bad about them versus the OEM tires. I don't know if road noise is worst off. And rolling and turning resistance seems improved. IDK, hard to tell without an A/B comparison. But the fact that it's not noticeably worst.. yet much lighter on the wallet, I don't mind settling on these Nexen as a happy medium.

• Informative
Reactions: Terthen
Thought I would share my experience in case anyone else stumbles upon this thread and is considering Pirelli's. I went with the Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus as well. They were $926 including installation at Discount Tire.

My main concern was the noise switching from 'ContiSilents' with foam to these. I used dB Meter Pro app on my iPhone to record average noise level on a stretch of highway doing 70mph on both the Continentals and Pirelli's. They were virtually identical with the Pirelli's recording just 1 dB less (quieter) although that is so tiny it could easily be attributable to rounding or some other factor. This was a very unscientific test but figured some form of measurement was better than nothing. Subjectively, my ears could not tell a difference.
If you repeat the experiment 20k miles into the tire, would it come out the same?

I just got the Pirelli Scorpion All Season Plus 3 from Americas (Discount) Tire. They replaced the OEM Conti's. I think the tire noise may be a tiny bit higher but that is subjective. What I do hear is a faint humming sound that I did not have with the Contis. Not a big deal but detectable.

With a 70k mileage tire maybe I can get 40k out of them vs the 25k I get with the Contis. Of course a lot of that has to do with the rear camber issue. I had to replace my Contis both times because I still had tread left but the inside edges of the rears had the cord showing. And the give away was that I suddenly started loosing about 1 psi/day on the right rear tire.

• Informative
Reactions: Harvey Danger
the pirelli tires are not snow tires despite being labelled 'all season'. For some reason, Ford loves putting these things on trucks. They suck in snow, and after a few miles of wear, they suck in rain as well.
Just to be clear, there are several tires in the Pirelli range that have some (slightly different) combination of the words "Scorpion", "Verde", "Zero", "All Season", "A/S", "Plus" and some of them are M+S rated and some of them are not M+S rated. Pirelli loves these words and they love creating lots of different word salads with their product names. They are all sold as "all season". Some are OEM and others are not. You can't categorically say that "those pirellis" are this or not that without the full model name exactly as written on the tire and whether or not it has M+S stamped on it (and the M+S stamp is usually pretty small and mixed in with a bunch of other words).

You could have had one of the few non M+S rated versions of these tires and it would have been the OEM version rather than the retail version - your experience on snow may or may not translate into what these drivers will experience with the variant of the tire they purchase after market which hopefully is rated M+S if they want to have some success in the snow.

Here is a sampling of their current "word salad" and the name doesn't really distinguish between the OEM and non-OEM variants:

Pirelli Scorpion AS Plus 3
Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus II
Pirelli Scorpion Zero All Season
Pirelli Scorpion Zero All Season Plus
Pirelli Scorpion Zero Asimmetrico
Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season
Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus
Pirelli Scropion All Terrain Plus

(Note that there are 3 variants of "Verde All Season Plus" alone, not counting the "Zero All Season Plus")

Have had Zero AS in northeast winters and I can confirm they do NOT suck. Snow grip is great and with a few nor’easters this year ran on plenty of puddles with excellent grip. On a new set and they are much quieter than the stock Conti.