Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pirelli tires for 20s

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had these on a 2008 F150... Terrible in rain and snow. Changed them out for a better all season tire.

Sure enough the new F150 has the same pirelli tires... Changed them out as well.

These are -not- all season tires. They are worthless in rain and snow.

I recently replaced the tires on my X's 20" wheels with Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus tires after driving on the OEM Michelin Performance tires. I would recommend them based on the first 1500 miles of driving in various conditions, including heavy rain, and a short road trip, if your goal like mine was a more durable all-season tire. I have clearly gained a better ride and a better road feel but have probably given up 5-10 Wh/mile in efficiency. I have not noticed any increase in noise from the OEM tires, even though these new tires do not have the foam insert.

I've previously had good luck with Michelin tires on other SUVs, but the OEM tires that came with my X seemed more geared toward street acceleration and good weather performance. I also grew to consider them quite fragile. In the first 18 months of ownership of my X, I had more punctures from driving around the neighborhood than I had experienced in the previous 15 years of driving SUVs. This drove me to research alternatives, and the Pirelli offerings seemed to be the best available all season alternatives that would fit and handle the weight of the X.

I choose the Verde All Season Plus over the Scorpion Zero All Season Plus based on the fact that X is a relatively heavy SUV and from time to time I do find myself on unpaved surfaces when road tripping.

Disclaimer: I am by no means an expert on tires. Just did some research and took the plunge.

• Informative
Reactions: BrianD and vrykolas
I recently replaced the tires on my X's 20" wheels with Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus tires after driving on the OEM Michelin Performance tires. I would recommend them based on the first 1500 miles of driving in various conditions, including heavy rain, and a short road trip....

Disclaimer: I am by no means an expert on tires. Just did some research and took the plunge.

Still happy with this decision, in case anyone else is considering moving to All Season tires on their X.

Reactions: X-Man
Did they install foam in them? The contis I have have the "ContiSilent" foam in them to reduce road noise.

No foam in these Pirelli's. As far as I know based on my own research, only the Continental ContSilent and Michelin Latitude Sport tires which Tesla has used for OEM deliveries have the foam in them (as of the end of 2017). It's possible the foam is also used in other models from Continental and Michelin, but those are the only two vendors I've heard that have taken the foam step.

No foam in these Pirelli's. As far as I know based on my own research, only the Continental ContSilent and Michelin Latitude Sport tires which Tesla has used for OEM deliveries have the foam in them (as of the end of 2017). It's possible the foam is also used in other models from Continental and Michelin, but those are the only two vendors I've heard that have taken the foam step.

And the Pirelli's are quieter?

I saw it, I'm surprised I guess. I wouldn't have guessed it would have been quieter especially compared to a tire with foam.

Just to make sure I was clear, my initial impression at the time was that I had not noticed any increase in road noise with the Pirelli's compared to the OEM tires (Michelin Latitude's with foam, in my case).

I was also pleasantly surprised. Perhaps the Performance tires, being lighter, are more susceptible to transmitting noise without the acoustic foam acting as a damper. The Pirelli All Season tires are heavier and perhaps that extra weight helps to reduce road noise. I am just speculating here. I did not think to take noise measurements inside the vehicle before swapping tires, but perhaps I will take some with the Pirelli's in the future.

Thought I would share my experience in case anyone else stumbles upon this thread and is considering Pirelli's. I went with the Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus as well. They were $926 including installation at Discount Tire.

My main concern was the noise switching from 'ContiSilents' with foam to these. I used dB Meter Pro app on my iPhone to record average noise level on a stretch of highway doing 70mph on both the Continentals and Pirelli's. They were virtually identical with the Pirelli's recording just 1 dB less (quieter) although that is so tiny it could easily be attributable to rounding or some other factor. This was a very unscientific test but figured some form of measurement was better than nothing. Subjectively, my ears could not tell a difference.

Thought I would share my experience in case anyone else stumbles upon this thread and is considering Pirelli's. I went with the Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus as well. They were $926 including installation at Discount Tire.

My main concern was the noise switching from 'ContiSilents' with foam to these. I used dB Meter Pro app on my iPhone to record average noise level on a stretch of highway doing 70mph on both the Continentals and Pirelli's. They were virtually identical with the Pirelli's recording just 1 dB less (quieter) although that is so tiny it could easily be attributable to rounding or some other factor. This was a very unscientific test but figured some form of measurement was better than nothing. Subjectively, my ears could not tell a difference.

That’s great! How about range? Any differences?

• Disagree
Reactions: GayForEllon
I have never rated Pirelli. My Jaguar F Type V8S came with Pirelli PZeros. Borderline dangerous. Changed to Michelin Pilot Sport 4S - night and day difference.

What brand / size comes as standard on the 20 inch silver rims? On my Range Rover Sport 20’s I changed over to Continental DWS06, rated as being probably the best all season on the market at the moment - as good as you are going to get for snow without going to a dedicated snow tire. If they will fit the Tesla rims will be putting a set on.

Your experience is consistent with my own experience switching from the Michelin Latitudes last fall.