Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pixel 5 and text messages

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those of you who have successfully paired your Pixel 5 with the Model S, I'd love to hear how you got your MS to display the messages.

I can make calls from the car, and my Pixel 5 is clearly connected with "sync messages" enabled.

Didn't seem to have this issue with my Oneplus 6T.

Reactions: LostWages
I've paired my Pixel 5, but haven't experimented with calls / messages. I will follow up once I get a chance.

FYI, I bought the Tesla wireless charger, and I'm happy with that!

Even my old Pixel 1 wasn't super reliable with reading text messages. The text messages settings in the Model S seemingly reverted to 'disabled' every time I left the car, and about 1/2 the time it would read a years-old message.

• Informative
Reactions: kevincwelch
Is this your first Android/Pixel?

Are you using the native "Messages" app specifically or some other app to send/receive your messages?

It is my 9th Android phone, and it is my second pixel device.

I use textra, but that hasn't been an issue before (and that certainly doesn't mean it can't be an issue now).

I am noticing some issues with the MCU in general, so that may be part of this. It is my 3rd MCU. A reboot did not help. Deleting the phone (and the car on the phone side) did not seem to help.

I will keep digging.

I've paired my Pixel 5, but haven't experimented with calls / messages. I will follow up once I get a chance.

FYI, I bought the Tesla wireless charger, and I'm happy with that!

Even my old Pixel 1 wasn't super reliable with reading text messages. The text messages settings in the Model S seemingly reverted to 'disabled' every time I left the car, and about 1/2 the time it would read a years-old message.

Thanks - let me know your outcome.

It is my 9th Android phone, and it is my second pixel device.

I use textra, but that hasn't been an issue before (and that certainly doesn't mean it can't be an issue now).

I am noticing some issues with the MCU in general, so that may be part of this. It is my 3rd MCU. A reboot did not help. Deleting the phone (and the car on the phone side) did not seem to help.

I will keep digging.

I've used Pixels and Samsungs and while I can say that none have been 100% the few issues I've experienced have been the car's fault, not the phone.

That said, unless something has changed, the Tesla notes state that it will ONLY support the standard "messages" app on Android phones. As a result, my wife and I had to migrate ALL of our messaging over to our standard carrier issued mobile number to utilize the baked in Messages app since we had used our Google Voice number on Hangouts since before it was Hangouts.

The only surprising statement so far is that you were able to get an on-Messages app to dictate & read SMS messages. I wasn't sure that was even possible at any success rate with the Tesla interface.

I'm not sure what I did, but my pixel 5 and Textra seem to be working with the car now. I can receive text messages on the car, and I can dictate as well as send messages using the car. However, I can respond to only one person if I receive an MMS message. This was an issue with my OnePlus 6t as well.

I may try migrating my messaging app to the stock Android messaging app to see if there are any significant differences in performance.

Reactions: LostWages
For those of you who have successfully paired your Pixel 5 with the Model S, I'd love to hear how you got your MS to display the messages.

I can make calls from the car, and my Pixel 5 is clearly connected with "sync messages" enabled.

Didn't seem to have this issue with my Oneplus 6T.

I have had trouble off and on with the MCU1. One time, after a software upgrade, text messages started working for no explainable reason. A few times, I didn't notice the phone had popped up a message asking to give the permissions to access Text messaging. If you miss it, I am not sure it will ask again. I never figured out how to find that permission if I was not asked for it. So, I unpaired the phone and paired it again. This has happed a few times. In every case, once I was able to set that permission, it worked every time.