TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Pixelated Odometer Display & Sunlight

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by smoothoperator, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Has anyone parked their roadster outside for a few hours and had the odometer/range/amp display become pixelated?

Had the roadster parked outside for 3-4 hours in a surface parking lot, I came back to the car and noticed that the display was grainy and pixelated. I thought perhaps it had something to do with the dimmer but this did not help at all.

I thought for sure the display had went bad (pretty common problem with Mercedes, BMW etc). Went back to the car this evening and the display looked perfect. The only thing I can think of is the sunlight somehow caused the display to become pixelated. Anyone know if a good windshield sunshade for the Roadster? Probably worth the 30 seconds of effort to put up the sunshade to prevent this from becoming a recurring problem.

2. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

It was probably just hot. That little display is an old school LCD. You ever leave a calculator out in the sun when you were a kid?

3. Yea but it was like this for a good hour while I was driving. It was not that hot, maybe 80F inside the car after 4 hours in the sun (was parked facing east in the afternoon so all the sun exposure must have come from the rear window). Maybe all I need to do is drape a reflective towel over the cluster, so that it is not in direct sunlight.

4. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

They can take some time to recover. They can also be permanently damaged.

You don't need some special reflective towel. Anything to shade from direct sunlight would do the trick, even say a business card.

5. tennis_trs

tennis_trs 2010 2.0 Roadster Sport

Mine often becomes barely readable, to unreadable when the interior gets fairly hot, but I think mine happens when it's a good bit warmer than 80F inside. I wouldn't call mine pixelated; mine seems like much of the lettering fades into the background in splotches.

6. W.Petefish

W.Petefish Active Member

Ask anyone who drives in hot climates during summer. Mine does it all the time, even when I park away from the sun.

7. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Interesting, I've never had that at all. Mine has often been standing in >90F heat and sometimes last summer with a heat index up to 109F.

8. W.Petefish

W.Petefish Active Member

I'll see your 109 heat index and raise you to 120. It was hot here.

9. Stuart

Stuart Roadster#326, ModelS#1409

My LCD also faded out in moderately warm conditions. Within a week of having the car I asked Tesla to replace the LCD, which they did, and in the three years since then the new one has never faded.

10. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Heat index is meaningless to a car - it doesn't "feel" the humidity like we do because it doesn't sweat.

Of course the car won't get as hot if the windows (or top) are open.

Also it probably matters whether sunlight is shining directly on the display. It's inside it's own little greenhouse.

11. I wonder who makes the instrument cluster, on one of the other Roadster's I had another problem where the needles would get stuck.

Tesla Roadster Speedometer Reading Incorrectly

12. cinergi

cinergi Active Member

I've never experience this. And I've parked it in direct sunlight on 90F+ days. It also worked way better than I thought it would when it was below zero.