Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Placed deposit on solar roof and Powerwall

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just placed the 7700 HKD deposit on the solar roof and one Powerwall on Tesla HK website. Has anyone else done so in Hong Kong and received confirmed info on when it will be available for installation in HK? The confirmation email I got doesn't have any contact phone or email to ask questions and the FAQ it refers to speaks more for the US market availability....

LOL hope I don't get early adopter regret later if future HK government budget announcements include subsidiary for solar installations....but from the way things are going it doesn't look like the government will be putting money where its mouth is on clean energy anytime soon.....

I dont think HK will ever do subsidies for solar homes because it is unavailable to the mass majority of citizens.

Just imagine what the politicians would say? "HK Govt subsidizing the rich".

However I do think the HK govt does have some room to play with in this regards if they are smart which they are not. Such as for people who live in a house or village house, by allowing them to cover their roof to a certain percentage and then as a side effect allow them to enclose under the solar panels. Even without subsidies, I know a lot of people would do it, if this was the case. I certainly would.

Reactions: Titus
Take care: There are changes to the way that grid tied systems are going to be permitted, coming up this year. The government has already agreed the principle with the two power companies, and I think the specific mechanics and pricing will be announced within this year.

I think the 'permit it to be enclosed' under the panels is a non-starter - Government has already permitted a whole extra floor for village houses, since the concept was originally launched. But, I do hope they can see to allow an increase in the minor works 1.5m (Solar hot water heating system, solar panels | Minor Works Items | Minor Works Control System | Our Services | Buildings Department) to allow panels to be raised higher an used as a shade cover on a roof. I can hope, but don't see it happening.

Update.... Just realised the Solar Roof is actually more expensive than PV panel (only cheaper when you need a new roof PLUS solar power).... Unfortunately I'm gonna cancel the deposit and go with a 5kw PV panel setup.... On another note I talked to the installer and seems anyone who deals with the two HK power companies on the inside knows ... Hk government has signed an agreement with them mid 2017 that by end of 2018, there will be official buy back of excess solar power from HK individuals. And the rate the power companies buy back from you will be more than the rate they sell. Like in Macau where they sell for about a dollar per electricity unit, they have to buy excess solar or wind at 3.4 dollars. Not guaranteed the difference will be as massive but it will be a HK government way to make recouping of investment by home owners who manage to install solar systems faster.

Update.... Just realised the Solar Roof is actually more expensive than PV panel (only cheaper when you need a new roof PLUS solar power).... Unfortunately I'm gonna cancel the deposit and go with a 5kw PV panel setup.... On another note I talked to the installer and seems anyone who deals with the two HK power companies on the inside knows ... Hk government has signed an agreement with them mid 2017 that by end of 2018, there will be official buy back of excess solar power from HK individuals. And the rate the power companies buy back from you will be more than the rate they sell. Like in Macau where they sell for about a dollar per electricity unit, they have to buy excess solar or wind at 3.4 dollars. Not guaranteed the difference will be as massive but it will be a HK government way to make recouping of investment by home owners who manage to install solar systems faster.

Yes, this was what I was alluding to, above. Note that this may apply to _new_ installations only (and existing installations may not be grandfathered in). There is also talk of a renewable energy credit scheme.

Also note that the power companies have the exclusive right to generate electricity in Hong Kong. So, there is also talk of them charging you for the electricity your own solar produces. Seems to be just a negotiating tactic.

What do you mean by this? Is it like what I said above?

Do you have a link to where I can read up on this?

Best document I've even found on this is:

https://hub.hku.hk/bitstream/10722/144126/3/FullText.pdf

You need to give HKU your name and eMail to get a link to download that, but it is free. It is a well written description of the background to this whole policy, and offers a fantastic insight into the history of Hong Kong and the political wrangling going on back in colonial times.

Simply stated, the original land rights in the New Territories were Old Schedule House Lots (building land) and New Grants Building Lots (agricultural land). Indigenous Villagers were generally permitted to build houses on their own agricultural land, via conversion of the New Grants Building Lots. In 1959, these were "a roofed over area of up to 700 square feet and a height limitation of 15 feet (concrete) or 25 feet (other). In 1967, that became 1,000 square feet, up to a maximum of 25 feet and no more than two storeys. In 1972 that became the general right of Indigenous Villagers to apply to build on agricultural land up 700 square feet, up to 2 stories and a maximum of 25 feet tall.

This all was formalised into the Small House Policy (thanks to Denis Bray), and became 65.03 square meters roofed over area, and 8.23 metres maximum height. All enshrined in the Buildings Ordinance Cap 121. The stated purpose of the restrictions was to exempt these Small Houses from sections of the Buildings Ordinance.

Yes, this was what I was alluding to, above. Note that this may apply to _new_ installations only (and existing installations may not be grandfathered in). There is also talk of a renewable energy credit scheme.

Also note that the power companies have the exclusive right to generate electricity in Hong Kong. So, there is also talk of them charging you for the electricity your own solar produces. Seems to be just a negotiating tactic.

Then this is bad news for Tesla Powerwall if one gets more money back by selling it to the power company rather than storing it for usage later.... No wonder its been radio silence on the Powerwall for HK

Then this is bad news for Tesla Powerwall if one gets more money back by selling it to the power company rather than storing it for usage later.... No wonder its been radio silence on the Powerwall for HK
Or someone could keep storing power from the grid into the power wall and then selling it back... like they do in the US... people are charging them off-peak and selling back on-peak

However, I think they should do it like they do in Australia. They provide you with credits for power rather than actually profiting from it. This should solve any means to abuse the system, which HKers are very good at doing.

Or someone could keep storing power from the grid into the power wall and then selling it back... like they do in the US... people are charging them off-peak and selling back on-peak

However, I think they should do it like they do in Australia. They provide you with credits for power rather than actually profiting from it. This should solve any means to abuse the system, which HKers are very good at doing.

do note that whilst buying electricity to store on their powerwall then selling it back at peak at higher price sounds exploitative, it's in fact beneficial to both the electricity company and household battery owner. it's always a fine balance between losing excess when operating at base load during off peak, and firing up less effieicient, more expensive generators at peaks. having consumers buy to stall then sell back at peak is the power companies' way of avoiding having to pay out a sizeable lump sum for their own battery solution

Would you be so kind as to share the costs and details of installing the system?

Haven't completed the installation yet but all parts delivered for 100k (the guy told me it's discounted price so he might start charging more into the future once the official electricity buy back is announced) expect the installation cost to be about 9k. Obviously this is more expensive than the bare prices if you look on ebay for a 5kw system but the guy has to make a living and he does all the paperwork and ensure with CLP that it is eligible for electricity buy BACK. He does more work in Macau where things are already happening so assume he has good contacts with CLP and HKE for any issues.

I'll post photos when it's done though I'm going away to South Africa until mid April

There isn't any peak vs off peak pricing here for residential.

The proposed differential pricing for solar power generation is based on renewable vs non-renewable power. You get the higher rate for renewable power. Simply buying in non-renewable power, storing it, then send it back, won't work. Short story: they meter your generation system.

Hi guys sorry it might be against forum rules to advertise.... Message me and I'll send you his WhatsApp
There isn't any peak vs off peak pricing here for residential.

The proposed differential pricing for solar power generation is based on renewable vs non-renewable power. You get the higher rate for renewable power. Simply buying in non-renewable power, storing it, then send it back, won't work. Short story: they meter your generation system.

Yea that's what my installer said too CLP isn't dumb and they will likely start appointing designated contractors. One of the thing he mentioned was the system needs to be publicly accessible like outside your house making it harder for you to rig something to cheat. Hence the higher fees to get it installed by my guy as he works with CLP and knows what their requirements might be

Update: so the installation is complete and turns out I had more than enough space for 20 panels needed for the 5kw system in slightly less than 350 sq ft of space.

Sorry I'm not posting the exact panels set up due to the risk with all the craze about illegal structures....

Today was the first full day of sunrise to dusk 6pm and it generated 30kwh for me. Peak power was yesterday with 4800watts at around 12pm. Considering my Tesla does 70kms with 15kw in real world driving, each day of full sunlight would cover 140kms of range for me which is way more than what I need for my commute. So those idiots making cartoons of how "dirty" our Tesla is being powered by a coal power plant can suxk it! I suppose if I had cash to splash, I could extend out the "illegal structure" to cover my entire roof which can give me 10kw doubling my output right now. I think that's more than enough to power a 3 story village house even if there's 3 households. Imagine a setup on every village house...

The guy who installed it for me is now helping me register with CLP for the power buy back program.... eagerly awaiting the exact price at which they are buying back at....

IMG_20180410_124510_resized_20180410_090528785.jpg
IMG_20180410_183015_resized_20180410_090528647.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: ediot