Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Placed order for LRMY yesterday and already getting emails from Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am considering upgrading from a mid 2020 LR MY to a 2021 version of basically the same car in the same beautiful red with 19” Gemini wheels. I literally placed the order yesterday. I have already lost the ability to “Edit” my design and am getting emails from Tesla asking me for more info such as Proof of Insurance! Lol. How would I have insurance to upload on a car without a VIN and a wait time of November 2021? I already provided my basic information and even uploaded my DL. I am not sure I am even going to do this. I just wanted to secure a place in line in case I do. I’m a little jealous of some of the upgrades made already such as heated steering wheel (I live in the Northeast US where that would be very handy, the double panel glass, the auto dimming side view mirrors, the HEPA filtration and, 1 piece rear casting and believe it or not, the new windshield wipers since the spray on the 2020’s is pathetic. My thoughts are a lot of changes can still happen between now and November ish especially if I defer a few months into 2022. I am mostly hoping for the 4680 battery packs, a better suspension system (one of my biggest gripes on local roads) and who knows what other surprises Elon might have in store.

Is it normal to start getting asked for info when there is no VIN assigned and the EDD is 3-4 months out? How did I lose the ability to “edit” my design lesS than 24 hours after placing an order?

If things don’t change too much I can either try to keep deferring or cancel and lose $100 (which I wouldn’t be thrilled about but knew the risk when I placed the order).

Thoughts? Opinions? No snarky comments please. I don’t get the need for people who have nothing of value to add but just want to get their sarcastic comments out whenever they can. Thanks in advance.

I am in a similar boat, NJEV-Don, and when I placed my order I filled out all the steps up until Insurance. IIRC the disclaimer/instructions on that step only allow certain states to upload their insurance WITHOUT the VIN showing on the policy. New Jersey requires the VIN. Thusly, I am just waiting until I get a VIN assigned before I continue on. I think what we have done up until this point "puts us in line". I could be wrong. I did receive one or two "Welcome to the Tesla Family" emails and a text from a regional SA to assist with any interim questions.

PS - I want to say within 24-48 hours after placing the order I also lost the ability to Edit my design. I wasn't worried about it since I have no intentions to edit.

Reactions: NJEV-Don
I am in a similar boat, NJEV-Don, and when I placed my order I filled out all the steps up until Insurance. IIRC the disclaimer/instructions on that step only allow certain states to upload their insurance WITHOUT the VIN showing on the policy. New Jersey requires the VIN. Thusly, I am just waiting until I get a VIN assigned before I continue on. I think what we have done up until this point "puts us in line". I could be wrong. I did receive one or two "Welcome to the Tesla Family" emails and a text from a regional SA to assist with any interim questions.

PS - I want to say within 24-48 hours after placing the order I also lost the ability to Edit my design. I wasn't worried about it since I have no intentions to edit.
Are you expecting to get assigned a VIN soon? The configuration page still says November 2021. I think it’s weird about the missing “edit” option. I might want to change the color or add the tow hitch or change the wheels. That’s Tesla for you though. Never a dull moment.

Are you expecting to get assigned a VIN soon? The configuration page still says November 2021. I think it’s weird about the missing “edit” option. I might want to change the color or add the tow hitch or change the wheels. That’s Tesla for you though. Never a dull moment.
Haha, true. No idea on the VIN… I’m just hanging out hoping for the best over the next few weeks!

its normal for them to lock in the config, otherwise it would be even harder for them to plan.

good news is.. youve locked in your price. if it goes down, you will get the lower price. if it goes up, you are protected. however, if you so much as add a tow hitch, your price will change back to current (high) prices.

Reactions: NJEV-Don