Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Placed Order Today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Vitaman

Supporting Member
Aug 9, 2014
Decatur, GA
Had a great experience this morning at the Marietta Tesla Proving Grounds.
I had spent so much time reading hundreds (thousands?) of posts over the last 3 weeks that I felt right at home in the Model S.
Looked it over and asked some questions about Frunk crease potentials and rear seat cup holders.
Sat in it, and had some queries about voice activated functions and the center console no show.
Then drove a Blue on tan Model S 85 with no P no P+, heck not even no air suspension!
It was a blast! Loved the torque(almost made me car sick....but in a good way). Liked the handling. Loved the regen braking. It slows down the way manual transmissions do and felt very intuitive to me. My wife needed to reduce the regeneration to feel more at home.
We asked Brandon, the TeslaRep if he feels uncomfortable when people take the car out and gun it for all it's worth. He said that the only folks who scare him are the ones who never make it over 45. Our car was programmed to be limited to 80 mph, which was strange but hardly got in the way.
Looked at their paint color samples, put together an interior and then asked Brandon what the next step was to order a car. Both he and my wife were taken aback. I guess they expected me to agonize over a Tesla vs a Panamera or vs the new Lexus F series, or maybe a BMW i8. Or possibly they thought I would take a few days or weeks to consider White, Gray or Silver paint with Obeche, Lacewood, or Carbon Fiber trim.
Regardless, I finalized a build in 15 minutes, with some great advice from Brandon, and now am looking at a November delivery.
For those who like details, I chose a Pearl White over gray and carbon fiber P85+ with dark gray 21" wheels. Such a pretty car....at least on the Tesla display screen.
It was simply the best car buying experience I have ever had.

Welcome aboard! My Peal White shows up in two weeks. The wait has been tolerable reading reading and reading some more. I find myself treating my ICE like a MS half the time. Silly things like ICE lining up to the HPWC so I can plug it in once the MS arrives. Without a doubt the best decisions I have made for a car.

Tell me more about the Marietta Proving Grounds. Other than test drives what does Tesla use it for? Congrats on your new wheels!

Welcome aboard! My Peal White shows up in two weeks. The wait has been tolerable reading reading and reading some more. I find myself treating my ICE like a MS half the time. Silly things like ICE lining up to the HPWC so I can plug it in once the MS arrives. Without a doubt the best decisions I have made for a car.

Tell me more about the Marietta Proving Grounds. Other than test drives what does Tesla use it for? Congrats on your new wheels!

JBusch, I've been doing something similar: Because I'll be backing my S85 in to a narrow part of my driveway next to where the charger is I've been practicing that as well because it will be a tight fit. I'd rather get comfortable with doing that now so less risk of dents and dings when I'm doing it "for real" in a few weeks! I've also switched from my decades-old 10 and 2 steering position to 9 and 3 in order to avoid confusing turn signal and cruise control stalks.

Had a great experience this morning at the Marietta Tesla Proving Grounds.
I had spent so much time reading hundreds (thousands?) of posts over the last 3 weeks that I felt right at home in the Model S.
Looked it over and asked some questions about Frunk crease potentials and rear seat cup holders.
Sat in it, and had some queries about voice activated functions and the center console no show.
Then drove a Blue on tan Model S 85 with no P no P+, heck not even no air suspension!
It was a blast! Loved the torque(almost made me car sick....but in a good way). Liked the handling. Loved the regen braking. It slows down the way manual transmissions do and felt very intuitive to me. My wife needed to reduce the regeneration to feel more at home.
We asked Brandon, the TeslaRep if he feels uncomfortable when people take the car out and gun it for all it's worth. He said that the only folks who scare him are the ones who never make it over 45. Our car was programmed to be limited to 80 mph, which was strange but hardly got in the way.
Looked at their paint color samples, put together an interior and then asked Brandon what the next step was to order a car. Both he and my wife were taken aback. I guess they expected me to agonize over a Tesla vs a Panamera or vs the new Lexus F series, or maybe a BMW i8. Or possibly they thought I would take a few days or weeks to consider White, Gray or Silver paint with Obeche, Lacewood, or Carbon Fiber trim.
Regardless, I finalized a build in 15 minutes, with some great advice from Brandon, and now am looking at a November delivery.
For those who like details, I chose a Pearl White over gray and carbon fiber P85+ with dark gray 21" wheels. Such a pretty car....at least on the Tesla display screen.
It was simply the best car buying experience I have ever had.

Congrats on your order! I actually test drove the exact same vehicle as you a few weeks ago (there's only one S85 at the Marietta store, the blue one). Great experience there except for my 3-year old having a meltdown. She also fell asleep in the rear seat during the test drive. Smooth ride!

I'm supposed to take delivery at Marietta in late October but there's a chance the Decatur store might be open in time... we'll see!

- - - Updated - - -

Tell me more about the Marietta Proving Grounds. Other than test drives what does Tesla use it for?

I think it's just a clever nickname! The Marietta store is actually tucked away in a single-story office complex, you'd miss it if you didn't know exactly where to go. Some good roads around the area for test driving though, the route is a mix of back streets and some interstate.

JBusch, I've been doing something similar: Because I'll be backing my S85 in to a narrow part of my driveway next to where the charger is I've been practicing that as well because it will be a tight fit. I'd rather get comfortable with doing that now so less risk of dents and dings when I'm doing it "for real" in a few weeks! I've also switched from my decades-old 10 and 2 steering position to 9 and 3 in order to avoid confusing turn signal and cruise control stalks.

I've been doing the same. I've turned off some of the driver assist on my current car to get used to not having some of the warnings with the new.

- - - Updated - - -

Congrats on your order! I actually test drove the exact same vehicle as you a few weeks ago (there's only one S85 at the Marietta store, the blue one). Great experience there except for my 3-year old having a meltdown. She also fell asleep in the rear seat during the test drive. Smooth ride!

I'm supposed to take delivery at Marietta in late October but there's a chance the Decatur store might be open in time... we'll see!

- - - Updated - - -

I think it's just a clever nickname! The Marietta store is actually tucked away in a single-story office complex, you'd miss it if you didn't know exactly where to go. Some good roads around the area for test driving though, the route is a mix of back streets and some interstate.

As long as the traffic isn't bad. I took a test drive and the traffic was so terrible that there wasn't much chance to experience a lot of acceleration. I think I will schedule another one just to experience the full ride around.

Congrats on the order! It really was the best experience I had... you don't sit there and fight over price... you don't get pressured to make a purchase that day... heck, even IF you did, you still have 2 weeks to change your mind and suffer no consequence! It is really how buying a car SHOULD be since it is the second largest purchase you will make in your life outside of your house. Purchases that large should not be rushed or pressured.

You will notice a pretty big difference in the acceleration of the P over the S, so you will certainly enjoy it more than the test drive :) (note I have an S85 and don't regret my purchase decision at all.)

Having got the rear cup holders, they are even more finicky on what will and won't fit in them well without risk of spilling. Look forward to getting the center console soon though!

Welcome to the forums and enjoy the ride!

After using this forum for months for research, my first post after joining the family is to thank all the people whose posts answered my questions and helped me decide to buy.

My test drive day was only to make final choices. The guys at the Seattle location delivered candid and very helpful guidance. I was encouraged to get onto the freeway, but I wanted to feel bumpy roads and do cornering with and without air suspension. My second car was the P85, and I did feel the power. My arms nearly came off the steering wheel! I've driven a few higher-performing cars, but this is the only one I could have for my own.

After placing our order, my partner and I had a couple hours of driving in our BMW 330x. As early as one day ago, I loved its thrust and played with it often. Sadly, she apparently had hurt feelings, because I noticed no thrust. I mean the BMW of course! This is going to be a long wait until November! I want to click the confirm button to take my place in line, but it seems smarter to recheck all my choices.

I deferred the decision about a wall charger until my electrician tells me the installation cost difference between a 50 and a 100 amp capacity.

This article says sales and service in Decatur, along with a 3rd sales location in Buckhead (inside Lenox mall):

Tesla puts 1st intown store in Decatur, eyes Buckhead for another - Atlanta Business Chronicle

Hey, they should let us take delivery IN THE MALL. Just drive it right out through Nieman Marcus or something. Clear all the perfume racks out of the way, TESLA COMING THROUGH!!!
I have a thread going on about the new decatur and buckhead store if you want- New Atlanta Store: 1580 Church St. and New tesla store at Buckhead

Congrats on your order internauts, and welcome to the Wait! Much like with your BMW, my poor Volvo convertible just hasn't seemed the same since the day of my S85 test drive. The wait does feel long, but look on the bright side: by the time your car gets here you'll be an expert! :)