Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Placement tips for wall charger?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Your doing the right think I use the 18 ft cord with my charger it works great and his plenty long enough if your wife is going to use it too you my want to go with the 25 footer. I charge at night when I get home just hook it up make Sure your connect it to your wifi and your ready to charge at home my 2 to 3 hours daily to 85%. Good Luck any other questions feel free to contact me

Went with using the center support in out garage... I might be reading this wrong, but sounds like your most convenient solution.
160e5577dc2ce321d1a702ccffa68fdd569cce14

Went with using the center support in out garage... I might be reading this wrong, but sounds like your most convenient solution.
160e5577dc2ce321d1a702ccffa68fdd569cce14

That looks great! Unfortunately my layout doesn't have a center support between the doors, its just one big double door. The support is a metal column in the center of the garage. I hate it. Anyway, my parents have a similar garage to yours and I'm trying to talk them into buying a Tesla. If they do, that's the configuration we'll use.

Cheers
Charlie

Reactions: Kevin-rf
I have a NEMA 14-50 plug in the garage. Conveniently, it's on the common wall between the house and (attached) garage, so just had to drill through the wood sheathing just above the concrete foundation wall. it's conveniently placed near where the Tesla charge port ends up, toward the left back of the car (front left of garage). I have a 50A breaker and 6ga wire, good for 40A continuous. The position was ideal, about a 20-foot run to the indoor panel (100A service). Charging scheduled at 1AM so unlikely to conflict with many other electrical loads. the run up the wall to the plug is conduit. New wall charger manually set to 40A max.

Originally we used the included mobile charger, then we go the Tesla plug-in charger (since discontinued). That got replaced under warranty due to overheating issues. Rather than hard-wire that charger - not a lot of slack wire also - we used this:

General Electric WX09X10037 4-Feet 50-Amp 4 Wire Range Cord

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00LQDFOMY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I wired it up myself, had to to clip off the lugs and cap the white wire. Working great for over a month now. With the socket on the wall, we still have the option to use the mobile charger if there's a problem.