Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Placing a Fastrak transponder in the Model X frunk: will it work?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ecarfan

I searched TMC but could find no posts about placing a Fastrak transponder (for bridge and road tolls) in the Model X frunk to see if it would work. I'm going to try it.

This photo shows the small cavity on the forward wall of the Model X frunk. Seems like a good place for a transponder, mounted with some industrial strength Velcro. I don't think there is much metal in front of that cavity, mostly plastic I assume.

IMG_4178.JPG

I searched TMC but could find no posts about placing a Fastrak transponder (for bridge and road tolls) in the Model X frunk to see if it would work. I'm going to try it.

This photo shows the small cavity on the forward wall of the Model X frunk. Seems like a good place for a transponder, mounted with some industrial strength Velcro. I don't think there is much metal in front of that cavity, mostly plastic I assume.

View attachment 239150

The Tesla's i saw in NJ had license plate mounted transponders...unless you are like me and aren't running a front plate. :D

this brings up another point though...maybe you could adapt "THE LAW" license plate bracket to mount the transponder in the lower grille area? The Law - Tesla Model X Front License Plate Bracket (Auto Pilot Compatible) x7340

When I went for my tag in Texas, they said that I could put the transponder in the frunk of my S. I don't have a front plate (Louisiana), but I travel in Texas quite a bit. So far, so good. Your results may vary out in California...

from what I am aware of. you dont even need the fastrak transponder in the car. just make sure the license plate is on your account and it will automatically charge it.

I've been doing this for 10+ years as we have 4 cars on one account.

this would be true for cars that don't have the magic stickers for HOV in California; however, if you don't have the Fastrak Transponder that allows you to select "3" you will be charged against your account for any of the Bay Area pay to play HOV areas (680,580, 237 and of course reduced fee HOV lane bridge tolls etc). Since Teslas don't pay for use in the Bay (with the exception at Bridges) you would have to have your billing reviewed monthly and error corrected.

To the original posts question - I don't have my X yet; however, I tried all sorts of config options for the S I had from behind the nosecone to in the frunk etc...nothing worked. I ended up placing it in the trunk on the tailgate just below the glass - the back window was tinted so you couldn't see it and because the glass wasn't as thick as the front, it worked perfectly.

this would be true for cars that don't have the magic stickers for HOV in California; however, if you don't have the Fastrak Transponder that allows you to select "3" you will be charged against your account for any of the Bay Area pay to play HOV areas (680,580, 237 and of course reduced fee HOV lane bridge tolls etc). Since Teslas don't pay for use in the Bay (with the exception at Bridges) you would have to have your billing reviewed monthly and error corrected.

To the original posts question - I don't have my X yet; however, I tried all sorts of config options for the S I had from behind the nosecone to in the frunk etc...nothing worked. I ended up placing it in the trunk on the tailgate just below the glass - the back window was tinted so you couldn't see it and because the glass wasn't as thick as the front, it worked perfectly.
Not true on the pay to play HOV areas - I use 237 every day and I don't have a transponder in the car. I have registered my license plate with fastrak and the only charges I get on my account are when I cross the bridges.

Thanks for the comments about how Fastrak will bill you if you don't have a transponder in the car. I know that. :cool:

I'm just asking if anyone has placed a transponder in an X frunk and had it work properly.

Thanks to @Doc Savage for posting that he has a transponder in his S trunk and it works for him in Texas. And thanks to @skilly for posting that he could not get a transponder in his S frunk to work so he mounted it at the base of the rear window. That's helpful.

Here in Denver, i put my transponder at the top of the windshield (Above my head). It registers no issues on our toll roads.

This is also in the owners manual on page 166, Using RFID Transponders.

the area that is tinted you can mount transponders.

Not true on the pay to play HOV areas - I use 237 every day and I don't have a transponder in the car. I have registered my license plate with fastrak and the only charges I get on my account are when I cross the bridges.

seems like unnecessary risk when the transponders are free. I was charged (and they fixed it).

@ecarfan I did a bunch of different testing with different placement and what appeared to be areas that had the least amount of obstruction - as much as I didn't like staring at the transponder in the rear view mirror, the trunk area was the only spot I could get a reliable reading.

I didn't want my transponder mounted on the glass inside my X. I removed some of the trim around the funk and that gave me access to the interior side of the front bumper. I then used industrial strength Velcro and mounted the transponder to the interior of the front bumper. It has been in there for 10,000 miles now without any issue.

• Informative
Reactions: dogldogl
The current spot for X's is supposed to be overhead in the back corners of the glass in the center (according to the manual) so it doesn't obstruct the sun visors. That's where Tesla even has the 'velcro' (not really velcro) in the loaners around here in Northern Virginia so you can put your own there.

I didn't want my transponder mounted on the glass inside my X. I removed some of the trim around the funk and that gave me access to the interior side of the front bumper. I then used industrial strength Velcro and mounted the transponder to the interior of the front bumper. It has been in there for 10,000 miles now without any issue.
Thanks, that is encouraging. I am going to try placing my transponder in the front cavity in the frunk just behind the center upper bumper area.

in SoCal you need to have transponder and even if you add your license plate to your account and have no transponder you can get a ticket... I see it is pretty much enforced by CHP lately on 91 Express Lanes between Orange County and Riverside... every day there is at least 2 CHP hotspots looking who has and who doesn't have transponder... I see lots of cars being stopped without transponder.... I guess it varies by different toll roads but Metro Lanes and 91 Express Lanes require you to have transponder mounted on windshield and not only license plate... I think you may get away if you have transponder in trunk but well you may get stopped... and if a nice cop then will let you go by seeing transponder and just give you warning but if no luck you may get a ticket... additionally you can read on Metro Express Lanes:

In order for the Metro ExpressLanes to operate efficiently, a combination of visual monitoring by California Highway Patrol (CHP) vehicles, photo enforcement and FasTrak® will be used to ensure legal use of the ExpressLanes. This video explains the CHP-enforced rules of the road.

When traveling on the Metro ExpressLanes, a beacon light will indicate the transponder occupancy setting. The beacon light is visible to the CHP who will perform a visual verification of the vehicle occupancy and cite non-compliant drivers. In addition to the CHP, if a driver uses the Metro ExpressLanes without a valid transponder, a photo of the vehicle license plate will be taken and the registered owner of the vehicle will be issued a Notice of Toll Evasion Violation.

Do I have to mount my transponder?
Yes, your transponder must be mounted on your windshield according to the instructions provided. Section 23302 (a) of the California Vehicle Code requires that the transponder be visible for the purpose of enforcement at all times when the vehicle is traveling on the Metro ExpressLanes.

• Informative
Reactions: MonkeyTOGA
That's useful info for socal owners.

Are you also suggesting that Metro ExpressLanes requirements must be followed in areas where they don't exist? e.g. CHP will follow those rules regardless of norcal or socal?

to be honest not sure as I use only Metro Express Lanes and 91 Express Lanes.. and just was stopped once by a CHP when I had no transponder on my windshield... I told him I got it in glove box and my license plate is added... he answered I still need to have transponder on windshield even if my license plate added to account. He did not give me ticket but just warning... so then I read these rules for these...

not sure if and how It is in other express lanes areas in Bay Area and not sure if applies to San Diego as well... but definitely Metro and 91 you need to have transponder visible for CHP.... and at least in 91 express lanes they have usually 2 CHP units constantly looking for people without visible transponders...

So far my transponder mounted in the frunk in the small cavity just behind the nose has worked successfully on the San Mateo Bridge and the Golden Gate Bridge. Note that this is a Fastrak transponder designed to be used externally mounted on the license plate frame. But I see no reason why a typical transponder intended to be mounted on the inside of the windshield would not work in this frunk location.

IMG_4199.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: dogldogl