Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Placing a Model X order ahead of the supposed refresh...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had ordered a stealth 7-seat model Y awhile back. Tesla forced me to convert my order to a regular performance 7-seat model Y after they said they were going to stop making the stealths. Now there are rumors that the 7-seat model Y performance will never be produced.

I am now in a pretty good financial position to consider getting a 7-seat X. Due to the possible "refresh" the wait time for the X is now 8-12 weeks. I am thinking about just throwing the $100 dollar deposit in to lock in the FSD cost in case it goes up and just wait and see what the refreshed X actually looks like/performs. Any thoughts on throwing $100 away like this?

FSD is already so overpriced, I cannot imagine it going up even more in the next few weeks. Plus they have given a fair bit of notice each time it has gone up in the recent past. So I think the risk of FSD randomly going up even more without any notice is extremely low.

I wouldn't put in an order unless I was prepared to accept delivery of a car that matches the current vehicle description right away. I think the odds that they call you up the day after you submit your order and say "good news, we just happened to have a car that matches your order in inventory, please come in tomorrow to pick it up" is higher than the odds that you save money on an un-announced FSD price increase before they are ready to deliver your car.

I'm getting ready to order an X in the next month or 2. Did you guys get loans through Tesla? What was the minimum percent of the loan paid up front that they allowed?

Got my X in September. Did a loan through Tesla who used Wells Fargo. Very easy and seamless to do, I also traded in my model 3. My rate on the loan was 2.5%.

I don’t remember seeing a minimum percent needed for the loan. You can always ask your SA after you place a deposit.

Place the order. You don’t have to accept an inventory car. It’s best to wait as long as possible. The only advantage of accepting is discounts. I’ve done this before with my P100D and regretted it. I placed an order myself and if it isn’t refreshed there is a $100 loss.

Even placing and order is not a necessity, as Tesla does not manufacture S/X to order. If you don't absolutely need a car, just wait it out, and order when confirmed.

Even placing and order is not a necessity, as Tesla does not manufacture S/X to order. If you don't absolutely need a car, just wait it out, and order when confirmed.

The intent here is to lock in before price changes as I'm thinking about the same thing.

I wouldn't say they don't build to order, they clearly use the orders to know what to build and assign VINs to orders during the manufacturing process.

The intent here is to lock in before price changes as I'm thinking about the same thing.

I wouldn't say they don't build to order, they clearly use the orders to know what to build and assign VINs to orders during the manufacturing process.

As mentioned, just pay the subscription for FSD. A lot of people who’ve bought FSD have ended up selling/trading in their cars without realizing the full purchase value and getting back that cost on the sale/trade in.

Reactions: boonedocks