Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Placing order this week

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What is your daily driving pattern like? There is no point going for the 100D if 75D will meet the needs. The performance are roughly the same. The interior will be identical. The 100D will charge faster but there is a price premium. Check www.abetterrouteplanner.com to see if the range of the 75 will be ok, select 75D in the drop down menu and put in the furthest distance you are likely to travel. If you need a referral code PM me. With free supercharging you shouldn’t come across any charging issues or range anxiety.

Last edited:
Definitely the 75D, unless you really need the extra range, or money is no object.
They are the same car to look at, inside and out, with the same features and benefits, and similar performance.
Both have that wonderful EV driving feel that makes all the difference.

The rule of thumb is to buy the biggest battery you can comfortably afford. If you can afford either one, I would go with the 100D. You have to factor in normal battery degradation AND weather as well. Really hot and really cold weather has an affect on your range. If your budget only allows for the 75D then get the 75D.

There are a few recent threads where people dug into this one, but in summary, it really depends on your driving habits and where you go. It's hard to justify the extra $20K if you go on 1 or 2 trips a year. One of my friends went with a MX 100D because he regularly drives 200+ miles a day and stopping at a supercharger would just be really annoying when he could instead just make it home to charge.

I went with the 75D because a) couldn't afford the 100D and b) I do half a dozen road trips a year, but they're all along the northeast where superchargers are plentiful. So far I've done 2 trips in the month I've had my car, and in both cases I enjoyed the stops to get out and stretch and get the blood flowing or food and restroom breaks. It's surprising how quickly 20-30 min goes by if you're taking your time, and that's really all you need to get back on the road and to your destination. But the superchargers I go to are literally along the highways I take, so it isn't an issue to stop compared to some other parts of the country where you'd need to drive 15+ min each way off the path.

There's no doubt that the larger battery makes for easier traveling, the question is just how much is it worth it to you. One of the things I really appreciate about Tesla is the fact that the 75D/100D/P100D all have the same equipment available (for the most part), so just because I don't drive long distances often doesn't mean I can't get the same options and features.

Like someone above said, having a 100 will provide more headroom for battery degradation over time. If you're wanting to keep this car for a zillion miles, that may be a factor worth considering. On the other hand, if this is a five year car and you only need the range of the 75, save your money.

Reactions: MarkKW
Im ordering my first model S and I'm having a difficult time deciding between the 75D and the 100D. Any suggestions or recommendations?

If you drive between 250-330 miles a day, then 100D. If you drive less than 250 miles a day, 75D.

The majority of people drive less than 60 miles a day, so a 75D should suit your needs. 100D is generally only for people who make a lot of roadtrips and thus want to save time on supercharging. If you dont' take a lot of extended road trips, save your money and splurge on paint protection film or nice rims instead.

the OP is deciding between a 75D and 100D so performance isn’t a differntiator as they are 4.2 and 4.1s to 60 @P85_DA

Does the battery voltage play any effect as in 400V vs 350V? I’m also ready to pull the trigger any day now and I’m having seconds thoughts on splurging for a stripped down 100D vs the 75D with some options, mainly due to some performance posts I’ve read on here about passing speeds and such. If it’s just 0.1 seconds on a dead stop than that prob is moot. I dont think I need the additional battery in So Cal for my fam but would take a noticeable performance jump if its an option.

the OP is deciding between a 75D and 100D so performance isn’t a differntiator as they are 4.2 and 4.1s to 60 @P85_DA

Does the battery voltage play any effect as in 400V vs 350V? I’m also ready to pull the trigger any day now and I’m having seconds thoughts on splurging for a stripped down 100D vs the 75D with some options, mainly due to some performance posts I’ve read on here about passing speeds and such. If it’s just 0.1 seconds on a dead stop than that prob is moot. I dont think I need the additional battery in So Cal for my fam but would take a noticeable performance jump if its an option.

Here is a list of pros and cons: Looking for some wisdom for choosing 75D vs 100D

And here is a visualization on the performance difference specifically: 75D vs 100D Passing Speed

I get some criticism because the two cars don't have the same state of charge but the data consistently shows a 70kW (95hp) difference in max power between the two, even if the initial torque (umph) is the same, high speed passing is not: Any news on 100D uncorking?

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: P85_DA