Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid+ 0-60

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll bite.. It's just not fast enough. Plz Tezla make a 7 second car or bust, what is the point of even trying? GAH!!!! :p

Seriously I don't see how it can be much faster since we are pretty much at the tire grip limit (regarding 0-60). What blows my mind is the 'base' Plaid is supposed to trap 155MPH, what the heck is the Plaid+ trapping? Or the Roadster? o_O

Seriously I don't see how it can be much faster since we are pretty much at the tire grip limit (regarding 0-60). What blows my mind is the 'base' Plaid is supposed to trap 155MPH, what the heck is the Plaid+ trapping? Or the Roadster? o_O

Well maybe less, if it has more ground effects for traction. The extra 100 or so ponies might not overcome an extra robust diffuser or wider body panels; maybe more air flow through the front condensers or brakes?. All I can tell from the corporate pictures is both come with the carbon fibre spoiler.

Reactions: byeLT4
Well maybe less, if it has more ground effects for traction. The extra 100 or so ponies might not overcome an extra robust diffuser or wider body panels; maybe more air flow through the front condensers or brakes?. All I can tell from the corporate pictures is both come with the carbon fibre spoiler.

You know, that is a great point I hadn't thought of. >9.00 to 9.23 is the listed quarter mile so it has to be out accelerating it at some point, but not necessarily out to trap speed. Man I can't wait to have more info on either Plaid models!

Been thinking more on this... with a reported coefficient of drag of ~0.22 (with the spoiler) and ~1100 HP, it could easily do ~200 mph.

But I don't think Tesla gave it 2 speeds, so it is the gearing that may not permit it to exceed the 155 mph, or the motors are spinning north of 18,000 rpm.

Or will those 2 new motors in the back of the Plaid+ , and the front motor have different final gear ratios?

Reactions: byeLT4
You know, that is a great point I hadn't thought of. >9.00 to 9.23 is the listed quarter mile so it has to be out accelerating it at some point, but not necessarily out to trap speed. Man I can't wait to have more info on either Plaid models!
Tesla Car.png

Just noticed the performance difference. Prices are in CDN but honestly .23 seconds and the extra range isn't really needed IMO. Not worth 30K extra

View attachment 641469

Just noticed the performance difference. Prices are in CDN but honestly .23 seconds and the extra range isn't really needed IMO. Not worth 30K extra

Maybe not to you, but ~35% more range could be worth it to some people. It’s possible the new 4680 cells also provide more sustained power for longer (making for longer track runs), and more sustained charging at higher rates (making for shorter stops at superchargers).

Reactions: thebishop
Well the people who know haven't said. There are others who estimate it is about 120 kWh.

I would suggest more, because going from 390 rated miles on the Plaid to 520+ on the Plaid+ means over 33% more range.

I realize some range increase comes from the structural pack, but I would guess you’d need at least 30% more capacity (so likely 130kWh). The weight savings from cell-vehicle integration can only get you so much more range, especially at constant highway speed.

Reactions: ICUDoc and byeLT4
If I had the extra cash to spend I think it would be worth it for the range alone. The possibility of a quicker charge would be awesome as well. I have not yet had the pleasure of taking my Tesla on a real road trip but have extensive plans for it when time allows. My P100D currently gets less than 290 miles at 100%, I usually charge to about 250 miles once the battery gets low and that puts me around 87-88%. Mid 400s would be amazing to see.

Reactions: jbcarioca