Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid 1/4 mile time X vs S specs don't add up

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

sorka

Feb 28, 2015
Merced, CA
General rule of thumb is that every 100 lbs added increased 1/4 mile time by 0.1 seconds. Looking at the 1/4 time specs alone 9.23 vs 9.9 and the X Plaid weight 600 lbs more than the S, this adds up.

However, looking at the 0-60 time, the difference is 0.5 seconds which means most of the difference in the 1/4 time is just 0-60 and that after that, the X is only 0.17 seconds slower to the 1/4 finish than the S....which does NOT add up. So either the Plaid can't make the 1/4 in 9.9, OR the 0-60 must be faster OR the Plaid X battery must run higher amps sometime after reaching 60 in order to hit 9.9 seconds.

Thoughts?

• Funny
Reactions: scottf200
I’m certain the X doesn’t leave as hard to avoid breaking things - this question will be answered soon I’m sure somebody is going to the strip with theirs any day now. It probably deploys slightly more power once the axles are safe. It’ll never have a 200mph top speed so maybe they did something slightly different with the gearing too - or maybe the gearing is the same but the taller tire on the X means it stays in a meatier part of the power for a little longer

All will be revealed by the YouTubers

I’m certain the X doesn’t leave as hard to avoid breaking things - this question will be answered soon I’m sure somebody is going to the strip with theirs any day now. It probably deploys slightly more power once the axles are safe. It’ll never have a 200mph top speed so maybe they did something slightly different with the gearing too - or maybe the gearing is the same but the taller tire on the X means it stays in a meatier part of the power for a little longer

All will be revealed by the YouTubers

If so, that just makes it add up even less given that after 60 mph, they have almost the same acceleration but the X is 600lbs heavier.

Reactions: wilton2parkave
Maybe the added weight of the X enables less wheel spin at launch?

Except that would just add more to the "it doesn't add up" side of the equation.

The real answer, now that times are starting to come in is that the Plaid X does 0-60 in 2.3 seconds subtracting the 1 foot rollout which means the 0-60 difference between X and S Plaid is actually 0.3 seconds, not 0.5 and now it adds up.