Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid 19 vs 21

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am very new to this forum. Please pardon if this has already been answered.

I own 2018 M3 Rear View Drive. though I absolutely love my M3, my only regret is not getting M3 performance.

I am thinking of upgrading to MS, I don’t want to repeat the same mistake, I would go for plaid.
My office commute is hardly 7 miles one way and my wife has Model X, which is more of a family car for us. This plaid is only for me to enjoy my driving with no regrets. 😊

The only thing I care about is 0-60 acceleration, not aesthetics. Any help, which would accelerate faster 19 inch or 21 inch wheel? If both are almost the same, I would go for 19 and save 4500$

no “serious aero” yet no “jello” reported here.
. smh
Fair, although the stock Plaid is a heavy sedan and isn't the best track day weapon. It's really just so we can all feel smug about our electric car choices when we rip away from all of the other cars at the lights :)

The Unplugged Performance Model S that Randy drove is a total exception here - it's a long away from stock though.

Upvote 0
It says right on there it's a 1/2 mile run. There's no track with turns on it that I know of where you could get up to 175 and slow back down in time in a street car.
Agreed, and you may also agree that aero's primary purpose is to increase downforce to increase traction and braking capabilities. So albeit beneficial in a straight line it's really only going to be noticed on a track with actual corners?

Upvote 0
Agreed, and you may also agree that aero's primary purpose is to increase downforce to increase traction and braking capabilities. So albeit beneficial in a straight line it's really only going to be noticed on a track with actual corners?

Your initial reply was in response to a post concerning the 200mph unlock. Now you're changing approach and trying to insinuate it has to do with cornering. There's no personally owned plaid on this forum that with or without aero is cornering anything at 150+ mph.

Still trying to figure out how you came to the conclusion that the car is not stable at high speeds, because it absolutely is and anyone that has one will agree.

Reactions: bhzmark
Upvote 0
Your initial reply was in response to a post concerning the 200mph unlock. Now you're changing approach and trying to insinuate it has to do with cornering. There's no personally owned plaid on this forum that with or without aero is cornering anything at 150+ mph.

Still trying to figure out how you came to the conclusion that the car is not stable at high speeds, because it absolutely is and anyone that has one will agree.
🙋just put me in the owner with one who doesn’t agree camp them. 😂

Upvote 0
The 19's dont look as good but you get a lot more range and a little more acceleration than the 21's, a win win to me.

It should be advertised as capable of 200mph with the optional installed hardware.

The factory braking at high speeds does leaves a lot to be desired imo, prob my biggest complain, that and the stupid yoke. The yoke is not for driving enthusiasts. My steering wheel retrofit can't come soon enough!!

Reactions: Jons1234
Upvote 0
The factory braking at high speeds does leaves a lot to be desired
I can get how this nonsense gets perpetuated on Twitter or Youtube that has a bunch of Tesla haters, but you would think the more informed population on this forum would know better.

Car and Driver does repeated braking tests from 100 mph. They throw out the best/shortest test and report the next best (or maybe average, I forget — they wrote an article on this).

The stock Plaid, before the recent upgrade, and without the track package, braked better/shorter than the lighter BMW M5 CS with carbon ceramic. see below. The Plaid tied the BMW from 70 mph and braked 10 feet shorter from 100 mph.

It is simply false, and clearly documented that it is false, that the stock Plaid brakes are bad for braking at high speeds. Indeed Plaid brakes seem to be optimized for 99.9% of the highest priority use — stopping at high speeds when cold or barely warm. E.g., when cruising on the highway, rarely braking as you use regen for any needed decel. so when you might have to do an emergency stop from high highway speeds, your brakes may be stone cold, and yet they have to stop a lot of weight fast. And Tesla brakes stop the Tesla faster than the BMW brakes stop the BMW M5 CS when cold/merely warm from 100 mph.

Try to brake when cold with race track pads — they will suck when cold if truly optimized for track sustained high heat usage.

Of course, if you do track your Plaid, you will have more combined weight and power than anything else on the track and you will be getting your brakes massively hot in no time. You absolutely must put race specific brake components, even pads that might suck when cold, on your Plaid at the track, unless you want to make a stupid video of how brakes optimized for cold highway emergency stops suck when overheated at the track.

1680865380568.png

Upvote 0
I can get how this nonsense gets perpetuated on Twitter or Youtube that has a bunch of Tesla haters, but you would think the more informed population on this forum would know better.

Car and Driver does repeated braking tests from 100 mph. They throw out the best/shortest test and report the next best (or maybe average, I forget — they wrote an article on this).

The stock Plaid, before the recent upgrade, and without the track package, braked better/shorter than the lighter BMW M5 CS with carbon ceramic. see below. The Plaid tied the BMW from 70 mph and braked 10 feet shorter from 100 mph.

It is simply false, and clearly documented that it is false, that the stock Plaid brakes are bad for braking at high speeds. Indeed Plaid brakes seem to be optimized for 99.9% of the highest priority use — stopping at high speeds when cold or barely warm. E.g., when cruising on the highway, rarely braking as you use regen for any needed decel. so when you might have to do an emergency stop from high highway speeds, your brakes may be stone cold, and yet they have to stop a lot of weight fast. And Tesla brakes stop the Tesla faster than the BMW brakes stop the BMW M5 CS when cold/merely warm from 100 mph.

Try to brake when cold with race track pads — they will suck when cold if truly optimized for track sustained high heat usage.

Of course, if you do track your Plaid, you will have more combined weight and power than anything else on the track and you will be getting your brakes massively hot in no time. You absolutely must put race specific brake components, even pads that might suck when cold, on your Plaid at the track, unless you want to make a stupid video of how brakes optimized for cold highway emergency stops suck when overheated at the track.

View attachment 925870
Ive owned and daily driven my Plaid for almost a year now and not a hater or regurgitating crap Ive read. The brakes feel lacking to me even when cold, especially at HIGH SPEEDS (120+ mph) at the drag stip. I dont have this issue with my BMW X3m40i or ZLE. Under 100mph the Plaid brakes generally work fine during my commute or spirited driving.
Overall the brakes feel lacking for my type of driving. I will be upgrading the rotors and pads soon, hope it helps.

• Funny
Reactions: bhzmark
Upvote 0
Ive owned and daily driven my Plaid for almost a year now and not a hater or regurgitating crap Ive read. The brakes feel lacking to me even when cold, especially at HIGH SPEEDS (120+ mph) at the drag stip. I dont have this issue with my BMW X3m40i or ZLE. Under 100mph the Plaid brakes generally work fine during my commute or spirited driving.
Overall the brakes feel lacking for my type of driving. I will be upgrading the rotors and pads soon, hope it helps.
Just from a pad change only (using unplugged street pads), the car stops like it should. Since then, I've done rotors, lines, and a brace and they feel really good. The car nose dives pretty hard when you stomp on them at the track, instead of like the OEM pads which felt more of like a slight slowdown.

Upvote 0

View attachment 925870
I don't own Plaid, but have spent a lot of time behind the wheel of it, and thought it was under-braked because the massive acceleration capability has a driver slowing from high speeds more frequently than even the German uber sports sedans. Still, it's hard to argue with those numbers - thanks for sharing them. I think the Plaid simply tests the brake capacity more frequently.

Upvote 0
$5000 in escrow today that mine stops in a shorter distance now. Want to prove to me that your third-party data regurgitation is more accurate than my claims? Back it up with $.

If the stock brakes ALREADY engage the ABS the whole way down from 100 mph, where do you plan to get the shorter stopping distance?

Also consider: Everything You Need to Know About Brakes and Track Days

1680891501019.png

And:

1680891781974.png

Upvote 0