Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid 21” rear tire woes - factory defect?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Please expand.

I just had OEM sized PZero Winters installed. They checked alignment and all was still within spec. I keep at 42-44psi. What am I going to see as these tires wear?

The inside edge is going to wear excessively, and after it wears down the tread, it's going to start separating at the belts, just like every other tire will.

I find it strange how many people are blaming Michelins blowing out because of a bad alignment issue.

@roocher - same, but if they delay beyond the December date, I'm going to ask for a refund and buy the Unplugged arms. They're double the price, but at least I can fix the issue. Think n2itive is on their 3rd or 4th delay now.

Add me to the list too - My 2022 Plaid with 10k miles on original tires are now showing the same wearing on the inside edge (primarily driver’s side). I have new tires on order with my local Tesla SC. I will see if Michelin will give me any pro-rated warranty coverage.

The inside edge is going to wear excessively, and after it wears down the tread, it's going to start separating at the belts, just like every other tire will.

I find it strange how many people are blaming Michelins blowing out because of a bad alignment issue.

@roocher - same, but if they delay beyond the December date, I'm going to ask for a refund and buy the Unplugged arms. They're double the price, but at least I can fix the issue. Think n2itive is on their 3rd or 4th delay now.
I don’t think we’ve seen any tire other than the 21” PS4S separate like this, have we?

I’ll let your previous arrogant, unfounded response go. Not exactly. The tire will wear at the camber angle across the entire tread, not just at the corner. In that case it will eventually wear to the cords and break through. That’s how tire wear works. The Michelins are failing prior to that by splitting between the inner sidewall and the tread.

I’ll let your previous arrogant, unfounded response go. Not exactly. The tire will wear at the camber angle across the entire tread, not just at the corner. In that case it will eventually wear to the cords and break through. That’s how tire wear works. The Michelins are failing prior to that by splitting between the inner sidewall and the tread.

Yep, whatever you say boss! It also has nothing to do with toe changes under compression like was mentioned in the forum previously.

Michelingate2022

Reactions: canasion35
The toe changes I mentioned months ago…
If you are aware of it, why did you assert that the car only has camber issues in the previous post? You would know that the toe changes, and toe changes would have an effect on the tire that was not reflected in a camber issue only.

I'm truly perplexed by your ability to present that you understand these concepts, and then completely ignore half of them to blame an irrelevant variable.

• Funny
Reactions: lbowroom
Update. My barely used right rear "T2"'s leaked and the shop found the tread separating. The left one was just fine. Back on went my new non-T2 ones. I am beginning to wonder if this is a tire defect. My shop and I both inspected the slightly used T2's before install and they looked good. Barely put 500 miles on them with the revised alignment.

Yes I agree with you!
I love the 21's. I don't think there's a reason the 21's should wear differently. The overall wheel diameter is the same size is it not? If it's different, then yes, that would make a difference.
… however, this is beginning to sound like a compound problem - one that good lawyers could easily deflect to a host of other variables.

Meanwhile, the constant (us) are still venting on a forum! Just take matters into your own hands and rip’n’replace

I love the 21's. I don't think there's a reason the 21's should wear differently. The overall wheel diameter is the same size is it not? If it's different, then yes, that would make a difference.
BECAUSE overall tire diameter is roughly the same, the 21's have a shorter sidewall. Fundamentally that means less material to adapt to road surface and less material to flex, higher stresses. Everything else being equal, which they never are, more sidewall is less prone to failure.

I can see that. Here is some more info. This is a pic of both of the T2's I removed. The left one is the left side rear, the right one the right. I brought the insides together for comparison. There is very little "OEM" rubber to begin with (on the left). I verified this with the new set of tires. You can see the right side is ground down. Both tires appeared the same just about 500 miles ago. So maybe there is a separation/stretching thing going on.
Tire wear.jpg

diameter is the same, tread width is substantially wider, which is why the 21" see more wear than the 19" (plus the lack of sidewall flex on the 21"). The t2 rear ps4s is a full inch wider than the pirelli t0 19". Which means it sticks further inward a half inch + less sidewall flex.

it's really not difficult to understand why the tires are wearing out.

diameter is the same, tread width is substantially wider, which is why the 21" see more wear than the 19" (plus the lack of sidewall flex on the 21"). The t2 rear ps4s is a full inch wider than the pirelli t0 19". Which means it sticks further inward a half inch + less sidewall flex.

it's really not difficult to understand why the tires are wearing out.
How does being wider make them wear more? How does being 1/2” more inward make any difference? Camber and toe angles remain the same.

And back to your previous question… I haven’t assigned root cause of the tire failure to any specific variable. There are confounding variables, none of which alone account for what is happening. From what I read, you have concluded “it’s the car” without any specific description of the mechanism of action aside from parroting “toe out under compression” and now “the tires are 1” wider”.

Once again, tire tread separating from the sidewall is not a tire “wearing out” it’s a premature failure.

Last edited:
Reactions: TSLA Pilot