Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid 21” rear tire woes - factory defect?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How does being wider make them wear more? How does being 1/2” more inward make any difference? Camber and toe angles remain the same.

And back to your previous question… I haven’t assigned root cause of the tire failure to any specific variable. There are confounding variables, none of which alone account for what is happening. From what I read, you have concluded “it’s the car” without any specific description of the mechanism of action aside from parroting “toe out under compression” and now “the tires are 1” wider”.

Once again, tire tread separating from the sidewall is not a tire “wearing out” it’s a premature failure.

I'd recommend you have a discussion with someone in person, maybe a local race shop that does suspension, so they can explain this to you.

• Funny
Reactions: lbowroom
I measured camber on both my rear tires on delivery. Driver side was -1 degree, and the passenger was -3 degrees I bet my passenger tire will wear out faster, but I don't plan to find out. Barely using the car until my camber arms arrive and set it up as close to -0- as possible.
No no no. You don’t want it set to 0. Please no! Are you driving a yugo in a straight line!

Oh god! You’re going to hate the way it handles. :)
^^this^^ you still need camber for straight line racing. With no camber, if/when your car gets a little floaty on the big end, you're going to crap your pants trying to reel it back in because with no camber, there's very little feedback.

Usually if people want to do something questionable, I'd ask them to video it so I could see it later...but this is pretty sketchy, I wouldn't want you to even attempt it with a legitimately fast car.

Oh god! You’re going to hate the way it
^^this^^ you still need camber for straight line racing. With no camber, if/when your car gets a little floaty on the big end, you're going to crap your pants trying to reel it back in because with no camber, there's very little feedback.

Usually if people want to do something questionable, I'd ask them to video it so I could see it later...but this is pretty sketchy, I wouldn't want you to even attempt it with a legitimately fast car.
Let’s see I run my Mustang 9’s at -0- no issues

I measured camber on both my rear tires on delivery. Driver side was -1 degree, and the passenger was -3 degrees I bet my passenger tire will wear out faster, but I don't plan to find out. Barely using the car until my camber arms arrive and set it up as close to -0- as possible.
When I threw the T2's on the car was aligned very carefully at the low ride height so I do not believe it was an alignment issue (at least it being far out of spec)

Interesting... my rear left developed air leak few month ago. I even did not think this is because of tire delimitation.
I have 10k miles.
As far as I understand, tesla service won't accept this claim. What should I do ?

A lot of people run 0 on drag cars, but a lot of them also have chutes on the back to straighten them out when it gets unstable.
It’s his car and if he wants to run it at 0, who are we to argue :). He could probably go positive camber just in case there is a need to touch the steering wheel for turning around after the drag strip run!

All I know is that with those oem rubber bushings on all those suspension links, all settings at alignment don’t mean didley squat under compression on a real road

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221130_131747_Tesla.jpg
    Screenshot_20221130_131747_Tesla.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 106
Interesting... my rear left developed air leak few month ago. I even did not think this is because of tire delimitation.
I have 10k miles.
As far as I understand, tesla service won't accept this claim. What should I do ?
Michelin honored my claim and paid 75% of the replacement set which Tire Rack was kind enough to order for me. I was unable to find new T2's anywhere, but Tire Rack eventually got the non-Tesla version in and I snagged a rear set of those. They are a bit noisier on some road surfaces, but not bad at all overall.

Reactions: dev_lvl80
It’s his car and if he wants to run it at 0, who are we to argue :). He could probably go positive camber just in case there is a need to touch the steering wheel for turning around after the drag strip run!

All I know is that with those oem rubber bushings on all those suspension links, all settings at alignment don’t mean didley squat under compression on a real road

The general consensus on track only drag cars is 0 camber. But the key words are "track only" , and as I mentioned before, even if they don't need the chute to brake, it's the fastest way to get the car to straighten out when it starts skating around. Hell, I've popped a chute on the highway before for that exact reason.

No way I would run 0 camber on a $150k, completely stock suspension street car.

I see y’all are still going on and on about the tires! :) yes they suck, so just go buy 20” rims and replace the suspension and it will drive amazingly !

And I forgot to add - my service center loves how my car handles now :)
This is the route I was considering, but there’s not much evidence that 20’s won’t have the same issue. I like the Arachnids and am not really interested I dropping several grand on 20’s only to have the same issue. Has anyone with aftermarket 20’s driven 10k+ miles to validate this goes away?

This is the route I was considering, but there’s not much evidence that 20’s won’t have the same issue. I like the Arachnids and am not really interested I dropping several grand on 20’s only to have the same issue. Has anyone with aftermarket 20’s driven 10k+ miles to validate this goes away?
True! I think a few % of people here got 20” rims aftermarket and possibly even fewer did over 10k on them.

I’m in that very small group, and have 15k miles. No issue here. However, truth be told, I didn’t even wait for the issue to start before I replaced my oem wheels with some sweet and flush to fender signature sv104s.

One data point - no one with 19” wheels is complaining about tread separation either

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: TSLA Pilot
True! I think a few % of people here got 20” rims aftermarket and possibly even fewer did over 10k on them.

I’m in that very small group, and have 15k miles. No issue here. However, truth be told, I didn’t even wait for the issue to start before I replaced my oem wheels with some sweet and flush to fender signature sv104s.

One data point - no one with 19” wheels is complaining about tread separation either

Would this mean tire defect on the 21s? If it was alignment, we should still see the same wear on the 19's and 20's right?