Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid 21” rear tire woes - factory defect?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not animations. look at actual photos, like this (or the other thousands upon thousands). Uncertain why people are obnoxiously ignoring basic knowledge on the topic.

IMG_0814.jpg

jZ4QJPj.jpg

Rt_RR_Apr_2012 (3)_resized.jpg

Suggest you review the photographs extant in this thread and other threads a bit more carefully. Actually, a lot more carefully….

We don’t see more tread wear on the inner tread. Instead, and in strong contrast to your suggested BS of “nothing to see here folks, move along now,” is tread separation at the inner sidewall, and in some cases what appears to be a lathing of the inner sidewall from some internal tire defect.

Thank you for paying closer attention going forward.

Not animations. look at actual photos, like this (or the other thousands upon thousands). Uncertain why people are obnoxiously ignoring basic knowledge on the topic.
That's not a tire failing in your pics. That's wear of bad alignment. Even with all that wear in your picture, the tire is structurally intact. Our Michelins are getting torn up, not by bad alignment. We are dealing with something different here IMHO. I am eager to learn more about the engineering that was done to accommodate for the insane amounts of instantaneous torque off the line. So far the story goes that Michelin may not have done any.

Reactions: lbowroom
Inspected mine rear left ;(((
Have following damage, and it's visible line of excessive wear.
Does it look like as delimitation process ?

View attachment 881088

Dropped to dealer, inspected. Left rear tire is bad, right drivable ;) But has some pattern. Car is not advised to drive.
So, Michelin gives 45% coverage for both rear tires. Like, right tire is still ok.
I'm not sure this is fair deal. Totally recognize this is goodwill and not warranty, but, listen, less than 1 year "top" tires are breaking apart. Whose fault ?

Going to talk with supervisor on michelin side on monday.

Reactions: TSLA Pilot
Correct, the number 1 tire manufacturer in the world has failed to do sufficient research for an OEM spec'd product.

Maybe you could drive down to one of their facilities and teach their engineers how to do it?
Or perhaps the nice engineers at Michelin might buy a few Pirelli P Zero tires to examine how they’re designed and built to not come apart on Tesla’s MS Plaid?

In this day and age I am sure making a tire that is safe and last twice as long is possible, but how would the tire companies make money? A customer who purchases these performance cars can afford the tires, so why not make them a repeat customer as often as possible.

Easily fixed. Grab some proper (much stronger) adjustable control arms from website N2itive.me Eliminate Inner Tire & Premature Half-Shaft Wear On Tesla X/S! and reduce or zero out the camber and toe. I have no affiliation with them, I'm simply an EXTREMELY satisfied customer. I've got 35,000 miles on the new tires I installed same time as these control arms, they still have more than half their tread life left, and I am HEAVY on the throttle most of the time. 6 year warranty and small company devoted to customer service, like Tesla USED to be.

Plus their suspension links reduce the driveshaft angles (the front motor is mounted too high), greatly increasing their life and fending off the dreaded "vibration during acceleration".
This worked for me, getting 30K out of 19's Michelin Pilot A/S 3's. just bought a different brand...

• Love
Reactions: cleverscreenam
This worked for me, getting 30K out of 19's Michelin Pilot A/S 3's. just bought a different brand...
Such an easy fix for Tesla's ridiculous factory alignment on all 2012-2022 Model S and X vehicles.

I unwatched this thread 6 months ago, and I'm shocked to now see 24 pages of people saying "uhhh I don't know, I guess every single tire manufacturer is making these 265/35R21 tires go bald in 5,000 miles on my Tesla even though they last 40,000 miles on every other car, but it can't POSSIBLY be Tesla's fault!"

Process of elimination, people...
In this day and age I am sure making a tire that is safe and last twice as long is possible, but how would the tire companies make money? A customer who purchases these performance cars can afford the tires, so why not make them a repeat customer as often as possible.
This is true for the majority of products manufactured today, designed to fail after the warranty expires. Conversely, it's now so easy to shop for quality simply by looking at the warranty length (expect failure shortly after, anything longer is bonus time.) Google says these Michelin Pilot Sport 4S are warrantied for 30,000 miles, so any less than that and Michelin is losing money.

After a decade of these nonsense factory alignment settings, I'm surprised all tire companies haven't added a Tesla exclusion into their warranty fine print.

Newbies... circa 2016 post

here is the low IQ version:

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: cleverscreenam
I am not in the "it's the camber, stupid" camp. My thought is that the tires are structurally getting "broken" by the massive, instant torque on the inside corner and then wear unevenly as they then continue to deform with just regular use after that. Camber wear is even across almost the entire tread. Our tires are only on that inside edge, which would be toe, but even toe wear is not like what we are seeing.

Reactions: TSLA Pilot
Dropped to dealer, inspected. Left rear tire is bad, right drivable ;) But has some pattern. Car is not advised to drive.
So, Michelin gives 45% coverage for both rear tires. Like, right tire is still ok.
I'm not sure this is fair deal. Totally recognize this is goodwill and not warranty, but, listen, less than 1 year "top" tires are breaking apart. Whose fault ?

Going to talk with supervisor on michelin side on monday.

Follow up on that ^^^
Michelin agreed to cover 60% of both tires replacement. Without debating, representative understood situation and agreed to increase 45%->60%
Accepted that.
Now the challenge is to find tires in stock (T2 version) and perform wheel alignment.

Follow up on that ^^^
Michelin agreed to cover 60% of both tires replacement. Without debating, representative understood situation and agreed to increase 45%->60%
Accepted that.
Now the challenge is to find tires in stock (T2 version) and perform wheel alignment.
Good on you for getting Michelin to cover 60% of the replacement cost. I presume this was not through a Tesla Service Center?

Also, please keep us posted on the before/after of your wheel alignment. A hunch is that the specs will be spot on, but let's see what turns up . . . .

Is this what happened to my tire? Just got back from Firestone for a major leak that started today (like 10 psi in 15 min) and was Shocked at the tire damage
59DC333D-CCEC-477A-BF7C-FDE84927DE8C.jpeg

Attachments

• B3D58DB7-EFE9-4B31-B675-B4C648DE88BF.jpeg
    B3D58DB7-EFE9-4B31-B675-B4C648DE88BF.jpeg
    522.8 KB · Views: 64
  • 7FD65143-5601-4551-AA4B-43DC139EC2DF.jpeg
    7FD65143-5601-4551-AA4B-43DC139EC2DF.jpeg
    361.6 KB · Views: 69
  • 4B924010-3262-4F1D-AED0-52C7B3A80E55.jpeg
    4B924010-3262-4F1D-AED0-52C7B3A80E55.jpeg
    442.9 KB · Views: 55