Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid 21” rear tire woes - factory defect?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No offense meant to you, mate, and the toe is far more damaging to the tires. Camber hurts, but I would say it's like 20%, compared to the 80% damage that Tesla's excessive positive toe is doing.

Has anyone GoPro'd the suspension/tire flex under launches that you know of? I might do that if not. From the side camera during launches you can see the bottom of the tire flexing significantly outward, I just can't tell for sure if that's because of the extra camber from squatting or toe changes.

Your lucky Michelin is helping you. I was told that the Tesla dealer is not an authorized dealer and there was nothing Michelin would do.

Hm, representative said, that via Tesla SC schema works too, but you should paid in full, then Michelin reimburses you. I'm trying to to replacement via Tesla because they have tires in stock now, and wheel alignments is better to do at they facility.

And the 21’s are on national back order. So now without a car for who knows how lomg. F’n wonderful. What do we need to do to stop needing new $600 tires after 10k miles?
For what it is worth, new T2 do exist ......... just got a set delivered last week .............. Tire Rack
Also, as an option, I had put a pair of rear "regular" Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, 295/30ZR-21 #62547, also from Tire Rack on last month because I had not gotten the T2's yet.

My suggestion is, and what I am doing is, overinflating the tires to 45psi and driving them easy. The higher pressure gives them better structural integrity. Also, no cheetah launches or pedal slamming. Ease into the acceleration over a second or two.

We can also use the non-"T" versions of the tire which tend to be a bit more available in my observations and just marginally noisier.

Lastly, and I haven't done this, we can search for a tire that is close to our size 305 or 285 vs 295- this should be very little difference and maybe we can access a wider selection of tires.

Update: I just checked and there are plenty of brands in stock (Tire Rack), including Michelin, at the 285 and 205 sizes.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: cleverscreenam
That is completely opposite. The stiffer the sidewall is, the less flex you will have, and the more the car will ride on the edge. You're amplifying the existing issue.
That’s nonsense. Higher pressure will put more of the load on the center of the tread easing the load on the corner. Lower pressure causes Internal flexing of the tire producing heat. This is desired when racing to get the tires to optimum temperature. It’s what you want to avoid when you have a tire that is overheating on the inside corner causing delamination of the tread.

Yep, that's about as accurate as the post saying after 2 degrees of wear happens with the inside corner, the rest of the tire will also wear evenly at the same 2 degrees lol.

When I post a photo of my Goodyear F1's with the same wear, will you stop blaming Michelin? I'm only about 1500 miles in and the same passenger side rear tire is showing the same wear that the oem tires did. Another few thousand miles and hopefully it'll be on the belt as well just to end this silliness.

Yep, that's about as accurate as the post saying after 2 degrees of wear happens with the inside corner, the rest of the tire will also wear evenly at the same 2 degrees lol.

When I post a photo of my Goodyear F1's with the same wear, will you stop blaming Michelin? I'm only about 1500 miles in and the same passenger side rear tire is showing the same wear that the oem tires did. Another few thousand miles and hopefully it'll be on the belt as well just to end this silliness.
I wish I believed it was as simple as you claim it to be Sam. But I don't.

Reactions: TSLA Pilot
It doesn’t run on one thin strip with proper inflation. If it’s under inflated it will as the camber will favor the inside edge instead of riding on the two edges. That thin strip will then overheat from internal friction, exceed the design temperature and the tread will delaminate. As it selectively delaminates those areas will wear unevenly.

• Funny
Reactions: Sam1