Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid 21” rear tire woes - factory defect?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am not in the "it's the camber, stupid" camp. My thought is that the tires are structurally getting "broken" by the massive, instant torque on the inside corner and then wear unevenly as they then continue to deform with just regular use after that. Camber wear is even across almost the entire tread. Our tires are only on that inside edge, which would be toe, but even toe wear is not like what we are seeing.
You could be right, toe does have a significant impact on that kinda wear, and the torque on that axle has to be extremely harsh on the tire. I would play with the toe and camber alignment when the car is in the lowest suspension setting to try and "fix" this issue. Second I would dump the 21's and get 19's and see if you have the same issue.

Replaced both rear tires at Tesla SC. Got T2 version.
Tesla

Charged 510x2 + 100 installation + wheels alignment = $1500 ;(
What's interesting, TireRack, has this tires for $546
Submitted reimburse to Michelin, to get 60% back from $1020, got approved.

Very expensive wear and tear for one year. I made it clear to tesla, that want to get idea of root of issue. Wheel alignment does not show any red flags for rear.

IMG_0269.jpg
image.png[87].jpg

• Informative
Reactions: TSLA Pilot
Second I would dump the 21's and get 19's and see if you have the same issue.

The wear does not happen with the 19" setup. I've put a few thousand miles, with a few 175mph runs on the OEM 19" and they still look brand new. My 21" PS4S have already been burned through, and I'm now on a set of Goodyears, and those are just starting to show the excessive wear on the inside edge.

Replaced both rear tires at Tesla SC. Got T2 version.
Tesla

Charged 510x2 + 100 installation + wheels alignment = $1500 ;(
What's interesting, TireRack, has this tires for $546
Submitted reimburse to Michelin, to get 60% back from $1020, got approved.

Very expensive wear and tear for one year. I made it clear to tesla, that want to get idea of root of issue. Wheel alignment does not show any red flags for rear.

View attachment 886096View attachment 886097

Did you have them do the alignment in the low setting? Your toe is pretty far out on both rears before the alignment, which they adjusted.

Did you have them do the alignment in the low setting? Your toe is pretty far out on both rears before the alignment, which they adjusted.
Yes, I said that I drive mostly in Low settings. But car was aligned in normal, pretty sure. TOE is in spec before ;) and only rear right cracked.
Not an expert in that. Will see how it behaves - tesla gave warranty for 12 months if issue repeats.

PS. back to looking for 20" square SV104

Reactions: Sam1
Can you link products?

Looks great. So a regular tire shop can install these? How do I get them installed? So these are adjustable compared to factory?
I'm installing and re-aligning myself ......... but I've been working on "things" for years .......... any good alignment shop should be able to do it ...... just make sure you know what alignment setting (camber/toe) you want them to put it at (and I would do this in the low height setting).

• Helpful
Reactions: cleverscreenam

what alignment settings will stop the OE tires from failing prematurely?