Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid 21” rear tire woes - factory defect?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well crap. Got tire changed out yesterday. I’m sure Firestone prob disposed of it already
Tires can't be thrown away (legally), so odds are very high that your Michelins are still there awaiting their next "worn tire pick up service" collection visit . . . .

I'd go back and find them, if they're not too far away.

Please take some additional photographs for this thread as well, if possible. It's all about data . . .

FYI: it looks like Michelin is taking this issue seriously. They've had a local field engineer examine one of our Plaids at a local Tesla Service Center (alignment was spot on) and he's generated a report for Michelin HQ AFAIK. Sadly, my case is subtle: inside edges are still intact, BUT we are losing about 1 to 1.5 psi per week on both rear tires, with no visible source, despite dunk tank test. At least they have another data point, but it's the tires that have come apart that are likely the best case studies, along with their Plaids . . . .

Tires can't be thrown away (legally), so odds are very high that your Michelins are still there awaiting their next "worn tire pick up service" collection visit . . . .

I'd go back and find them, if they're not too far away.

Please take some additional photographs for this thread as well, if possible. It's all about data . . .

FYI: it looks like Michelin is taking this issue seriously. They've had a local field engineer examine one of our Plaids at a local Tesla Service Center (alignment was spot on) and he's generated a report for Michelin HQ AFAIK. Sadly, my case is subtle: inside edges are still intact, BUT we are losing about 1 to 1.5 psi per week on both rear tires, with no visible source, despite dunk tank test. At least they have another data point, but it's the tires that have come apart that are likely the best case studies, along with their Plaids . . . .
They found tire and holding it for me. Need to have a Michelin rep look at it

Reactions: byeLT4
They found tire and holding it for me. Need to have a Michelin rep look at it
Excellent.

Note to all: PLEASE retain any OEM Michelin 21" tires removed for these tread separation/inner sidewall defects and call Michelin's 800# to make a tire failure claim, or ensure your retailer does this on your behalf. (But likely better to keep the tire yourself to ensure it doesn't get lost.)

Reactions: Propofoln
My rear left inner tread @5600 miles. All stock with no lowering links and I can see signs of the inner wear. Unfortunately I have a small puncture almost at the edge from a nail that can't be repaired. I'll probably get a set of N2itive arms to add some camber after I get the tire replaced. Finally thew on the 19s I bought over the summer... road trips coming up and they ride very nice compared to the 21s but I love the look of the 21s.
Screenshot 2022-12-26 at 10.41.48 PM.png

Reactions: cleverscreenam
Got my plaid with 21” had the issue, could not find tires last august so bought a set of 19” with Pirelli’s and they definitely ride better and are wearing normally, also like the extra 45 miles of range on top of the smoother ride and better pothole resistance.
I actually like the look of the tempest with the cover, maybe not as sporty as the arachnids but I think it looks good. COnsidering the advantages in ride, extra range and easier tires to find, I will not go back to the 21”.

Today I did a tire rotation since I have a 275/35/20 square setup. It's been 4k since my last rotation and the tires have 17k o n them in total.
There is definetly NO shoulder wear on either of the inner rear tires. The tire wear on all 4 are within a 64th. I did a alignment soon after delivery, and another one this last July. Both times the car was perfectly within spec.

I drive the car hard, and launch it every opportunity possible. Ive done about 15 trips down the dragstrip with it as well.

TL;DR similar width Michelin PS4's do not present the 21" wear pattern on a 20" wheel.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-12-30 at 4.11.56 PM.jpg
    Screenshot 2022-12-30 at 4.11.56 PM.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 80
  • Screenshot 2022-12-30 at 4.12.56 PM.jpg
    Screenshot 2022-12-30 at 4.12.56 PM.jpg
    256.4 KB · Views: 67
  • Screenshot 2022-12-30 at 4.12.45 PM.jpg
    Screenshot 2022-12-30 at 4.12.45 PM.jpg
    289.6 KB · Views: 64
  • Screenshot 2022-12-30 at 4.16.03 PM.jpg
    Screenshot 2022-12-30 at 4.16.03 PM.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 83
Reactions: ginmqi
Pics of my T0 marked Pirelli Pzero Winter (OEM size). This is approx. 4-5k miles in -10~+70F over last 5 weeks. PSI ranged from 40-45psi depending on temperature. Had Tesla SC do a alignment to show all in spec. - camber at -1.6/-1.9 and toe at 0.19 on both sides.

Looks pretty even wear so far.

BTW - love these tires. Ride is so much smoother and quieter than even the PS4S.

20230103_210419.jpg

20230103_210431.jpg