Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid 21” rear tire woes - factory defect?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, have y’all figured out who’s the culprit here? @TSLA Pilot :)
Still in progress.

Awaiting replacement rear tires (yes, they're still on nationwide backorder) and the old tires go to Michelin for inspection/tear down . . . where only they will know what the story is.

Still losing about 1.5 to 2 psi per week on the rear tires, with no punctures or valve stem leaks.

All strange, but likely related?

Reactions: MFrunkerOG
Pics of my T0 marked Pirelli Pzero Winter (OEM size). This is approx. 4-5k miles in -10~+70F over last 5 weeks. PSI ranged from 40-45psi depending on temperature. Had Tesla SC do a alignment to show all in spec. - camber at -1.6/-1.9 and toe at 0.19 on both sides.

Looks pretty even wear so far.

BTW - love these tires. Ride is so much smoother and quieter than even the PS4S.

View attachment 892119

View attachment 892117.

Those are 21s? I’m in Texas so winters aren’t really needed here. Maybe I could find all seasons?

Pics of my T0 marked Pirelli Pzero Winter (OEM size). This is approx. 4-5k miles in -10~+70F over last 5 weeks. PSI ranged from 40-45psi depending on temperature. Had Tesla SC do a alignment to show all in spec. - camber at -1.6/-1.9 and toe at 0.19 on both sides.

Looks pretty even wear so far.

BTW - love these tires. Ride is so much smoother and quieter than even the PS4S.

View attachment 892119

View attachment 892117.
Would be nice if we could actually buy those tires

Reactions: Hayseed_MS
Isn’t one of you looking at the 295/30/21 HL Pirelli pz4 elect that’s lucid oem? Why just stay with the T0 or T1 spec.

Also there are some Pirelli elect tires of the same Tesla 21” spec for Mercedes and Porsche oem

I like those over the Michelin PS4S tires for a summer only choice. Will still probably go to an all season - the Eagle Sports.

I like those over the Michelin PS4S tires for a summer only choice. Will still probably go to an all season - the Eagle Sports.

I'd recommend these over the goodyears. They have 305/30/21 + 265/35/21, so they're the right size + NF0 so they're made for the taycan/heavy EV with foam.

I have a set of the goodyear f1 NA0 tires on now and they absolutely suck under straight line acceleration (they slip way more than both the 21" PS4S and 19" OEM Pirellis), but are good with turns and braking. Would not recommend Goodyears on a plaid.

Any issues with 305s on the 10.5" wide factory rear wheels? Looks like it's at the very bottom end of acceptable range per specs.
none whatsoever. a lot of people have went ahead and just started using 305's because you can get almost any brand in that size and they're actually in stock. i.e the tesla spec 295 ps4s has 10.8" wide tread on it, and the non-tesla spec ps4s in 305 is only 10.7" wide on the tread.

So don't get hung up on 295's or 305's because the 305 in this case is actually 1/10" skinnier.

• Informative
Reactions: cleverscreenam
Here’s a datapoint at 7500 miles: I run the car on low suspension setting all the time, don’t drive it as aggressively as I could, tires at 45 PSI ever since car hit 2500 miles, and also car was aligned at 2500 miles as seen below by Tesla since I didn’t want to leave to chance that it came well aligned from the factory. So far they’re holding up well.

84FD4410-88AB-4600-B61F-3DA3B5AAD831.jpeg
EEE20133-81CE-4D18-89D7-5CB88D9EA74C.jpeg
46CE0950-1908-4DC2-8C7D-2A7EB57F1BAA.jpeg

Here’s a datapoint at 7500 miles: I run the car on low suspension setting all the time, don’t drive it as aggressively as I could, tires at 45 PSI ever since car hit 2500 miles, and also car was aligned at 2500 miles as seen below by Tesla since I didn’t want to leave to chance that it came well aligned from the factory. So far they’re holding up well.

View attachment 892380View attachment 892381View attachment 892385
Yes, all of the tires look like that, mostly even wear all across the face of the tire, and they remain looking great--until just before the tread delaminates . . . .

The problem is the inner sidewall/tread junction. That's where the Michelins come apart.

Any chance we might get some pics of that area?

Thanks!

Yes, all of the tires look like that, mostly even wear all across the face of the tire, and they remain looking great--until just before the tread delaminates . . . .

The problem is the inner sidewall/tread junction. That's where the Michelins come apart.

Any chance we might get some pics of that area?

Thanks!
2AE8CF4D-2ECC-4BD0-BEAB-3BC24440E25B.jpeg
C1753674-2743-479D-9F60-F6740EEED6B7.jpeg

I’m not sure what you’re getting at. These pictures are showing the inner part of the tire pretty clear. Are you saying the problem with these tires is that all of a sudden tomorrow I’ll wake up and the tread will be splitting off in the inside? If that is the case, it seems plenty of posts on this thread are showing inner wear starting well before the steel cords on the tire are coming through, which is different than sudden tire failure.

Reactions: Sam1