Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid 21” rear tire woes - factory defect?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmm. Just found this thread and replaced my rears not too long ago when I discovered my passenger side looked like this. I thought I ran over something.

IMG_0327.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: TSLA Pilot
Flip meaning, flip the rear tires around on the rim.. they arent directional, so it doesnt affect anything..
The PS4S tires are asymmetric so they have a different tread pattern on the inside vs the outside. They can turn in either direction so the back wheels can be rotated from side to side (no specific direction of rotation). However, asymmetric tires *do* have a specified inside and outside written on the sidewalls, so you cannot swap the tires on the rims to extend life after you wear down the inside edge. At least not officially and without sacrificing performance. Also, the inside sidewall definitely lacks the pretty aesthetics of the outside sidewall.

I get the same thing on my S performance. I had a blowout on the freeway - not fun. I asked Tesla to change the camber - they claim they did but I doubt it. Two sets of tires - identical outcomes. Also got an inner wall flat while driving a loaner. Now I always get under the car to inspect the sidewalls. Has to be a design flaw

Can someone with a damaged tire take a picture of the inside of the tire next to the foam, approximately where the red line is in the attached picture?

I would love to see if there's any damage on the inside compared to the outside.

View attachment 896950

I have the damaged tire in the hatch of my MSP currently. I inspected the inside of the tire and there is no visible damage, so no pic necessary. The outside had the same inner tread delineation as everyone else

Reactions: Russell
Just had this happen on both rears. Had new ones put on by Tesla. Took tires to less shwab and got michelin to refund 60% I'll post pics. Always at 42, portable pump in car. I don't know why there are so many people on this forum acting like it's an operator error. The rep at Tesla kinda let on that this is happening to everyone. Someone's going to get seriously injured or killed.

Just had this happen on both rears. Had new ones put on by Tesla. Took tires to less shwab and got michelin to refund 60% I'll post pics. Always at 42, portable pump in car. I don't know why there are so many people on this forum acting like it's an operator error. The rep at Tesla kinda let on that this is happening to everyone. Someone's going to get seriously injured or killed.
Not sure a single person has blamed it on operator error. It's an alignment problem and for some reason people want to blame the tires instead of the alignment.

Not 21's but yet another flat bed due to uneven tire wear. Had to spend 2 nights in a Holiday Inn waiting for replacement rear tires. This is my 3rd model s and all have had this issue, so I even look regularly at the inner sidewalls and still got stranded.
View attachment 897682
Why haven't you just had the camber arms installed and had it realigned? The arms are less than the cost of 2 rear tires.

Reactions: cleverscreenam
Yikes. How big are those wheels?
22's (My Mods Thread here)
Why haven't you just had the camber arms installed and had it realigned? The arms are less than the cost of 2 rear tires.
Because I had camber arms on my '13 and 2020 and these cars still destroy tires on the sidewall. The Palladium made some suspension design changes that led to less neg camber in the rear and I was able to get 27k miles out of these tires. For me that's plenty. I have not seen enough data on the new camber arms (2021+) to make it worth messing with the suspension.

And to be clear, I had the car aligned when I put the 22" wheels on and it was within spec.

Reactions: Sam1