Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid 21” rear tire woes - factory defect?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I just received my N2itive SX-P2 rear chamber arms, installed them and aligned the rear with much less camber and a little less toe. I'll let you all know how the tire wear goes from this point forward.

Attachments

• IMG_1396.JPG
    IMG_1396.JPG
    586.3 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_1400.JPG
    IMG_1400.JPG
    572 KB · Views: 70
Reactions: cleverscreenam
Hmm. Just found this thread and replaced my rears not too long ago when I discovered my passenger side looked like this. I thought I ran over something.

View attachment 896816
Arguably one of the best pictures on this thread: lots of tread left, yet a complete delamination of the outer ply from the inner sidewall.

Please KEEP the tire (and advise if you have it ASAP as well). I know Michelin might want to take a look at it . . . .

Looking forward to hearing back.

Thanks.

Reactions: mcvaughan
Arguably one of the best pictures on this thread: lots of tread left, yet a complete delamination of the outer ply from the inner sidewall.

Please KEEP the tire (and advise if you have it ASAP as well). I know Michelin might want to take a look at it . . . .

Looking forward to hearing back.

Thanks.
Tires were replaced by Tesla service here in Houston, so no, I don't have it.

Guys, you would have to have MUCH more negative camber for this to cause the wear. Toe would be the bigger factor here, so maybe that's worth investigating. Since I had my rears replaced at Tesla service maybe they checked the alignment, but maybe not. Maybe this is just an issue with the PS4S?

Reactions: calleserra
Guys, you would have to have MUCH more negative camber for this to cause the wear. Toe would be the bigger factor here, so maybe that's worth investigating. Since I had my rears replaced at Tesla service maybe they checked the alignment, but maybe not. Maybe this is just an issue with the PS4S?

Got the camber arms installed and the race shop said it was a toe issue for sure. Picked up a set of the UP toe arms to install tomorrow to stiffen up those bushings. Not sure how soft the oem ones are, but sphericals are always better :)

^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^

With an ever-growing fleet of Plaids with 19" wheels running on Pirelli tires, there has yet to be even one tread/sidewall failure noted on any thread (at least so far).

This tends to rule out an alignment issue and very much points the finger at a Michelin tire design or manufacturing defect. Or so it appears.

Pics of my T0 marked Pirelli Pzero Winter (OEM size). This is approx. 4-5k miles in -10~+70F over last 5 weeks. PSI ranged from 40-45psi depending on temperature. Had Tesla SC do a alignment to show all in spec. - camber at -1.6/-1.9 and toe at 0.19 on both sides.

Looks pretty even wear so far.

BTW - love these tires. Ride is so much smoother and quieter than even the PS4S.

View attachment 892119

View attachment 892117.

Now at about 8k miles. Same parameters as original. Thoughts on wear?
Wishing I could ride these all year long.

20230122_161915.jpg
20230122_161910.jpg
20230122_161924.jpg

Older Model S like mine have the same inner edge wear problem as Plaid's.

After I had adjustable camber and toe arms installed and inflate my tires to 45psi, it no longer has that problem.

Reactions: Sam1
Older Model S like mine have the same inner edge wear problem as Plaid's.

After I had adjustable camber and toe arms installed and inflate my tires to 45psi, it no longer has that problem.
This is one of the many reasons it's strange to see people trying to make blaming Michelin their hill they've decided to die on. More power to them I guess, not sure why I cared previously what they thought.

This is one of the many reasons it's strange to see people trying to make blaming Michelin their hill they've decided to die on. More power to them I guess, not sure why I cared previously what they thought.
I think its both... on stock alignment, we haven't seen any complaints from folks with stock 19s or aftermarket 20s. For some reason that PS4 has issues with the S and we've seen plenty of pictures of wear on the extreme inner edge while the rest of the tread is fine.

Who knows how long it would take Tesla/Michelin will do something about this issue. I like the look of the 21s and got camber arms to dial down the negative camber.

I think its both... on stock alignment, we haven't seen any complaints from folks with stock 19s or aftermarket 20s. For some reason that PS4 has issues with the S and we've seen plenty of pictures of wear on the extreme inner edge while the rest of the tread is fine.

Who knows how long it would take Tesla/Michelin will do something about this issue. I like the look of the 21s and got camber arms to dial down the negative camber.

Sidewalls on 19s are softer than sidewalls on 20s which are softer than sidewalls on 21s. I think any alignment problems will show up more on wheels with stiffer sidewalls since they don't flex as much.

Prior to installing camber & toe arms, 20s on my car wore out the same way as the 21s except the wear band wasn't as narrow. it was wider, spread out more.

Yes, of course, best to just explain it away and blow it off.

Why be concerned about pending catastrophic tire failures which cannot be detected by the average driver in cars that can reach speeds in excess of 150 mph in the time it takes to read this sentence, on a tire that was ostensibly sold to Tesla as purpose-built for the application, the Michelin OEM tire (T0, T1, T2, etc.)?

I guess when there are injuries and fatalities perhaps some will care more.

Or perhaps not--many didn't give a damn before and perhaps history will repeat? We've got a few billion people on the planet so I guess losing a few to early deaths isn't such a big deal:

The Firestone and Ford tire controversy of the 1990s saw hundreds of people die in automobile crashes caused by the failure of Firestone tires installed on light trucks made by Ford Motor Company.

Unusually high failure rates of P235/75R15 ATX, ATX II, and Wilderness AT tires installed on the first generation Ford Explorer and similar vehicles were found to have caused crashes that killed 271 people and injured more than 800 others in the United States alone; more died in other countries.[1][2] The revelations led Ford and Bridgestone, owner of the Firestone brand, to recall 14.4 million tires in the United States in August 2000, and more in international markets.[1][2]

The revelations halved the market value of Bridgestone, which fired or accepted the resignation of several executives and closed the Decatur, Illinois, factory where the tires were manufactured.[3] Ford also fired or accepted the resignation of executives. Each company publicly blamed the other for the defects, a disagreement that brought an end to the companies' nearly 100-year relationship.[4]

[truncated]