Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid 21” rear tire woes - factory defect?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You are absolutely right falkens are loud and howl on certain road surfaces. Drives me crazy at times. Will try to return em to discount tire for store credit if possible. The PS4 rear tires were on back order till October that's why got these.
Never again. My 19s set will be here tomorrow.
19 oem set installed. No noise.
Discount tire is amazing they took the falkens back issued me full refund. Drove falkens for maybe 300 miles then we're sitting in the garage as I was driving the 19s.

Last edited:
Tweeting Elon will do nothing, the best course of action is to file a complaint with the NHTSA, Tesla is reluctant to fix a lot of problems under warranty.

Complain submitted with pictures just now.

Thanks for the NHTSA link. I submitted it. I stopped by the service center and they are pleading ignorance that there is any issue and stating tires are a wear item and don't have a warranty. Also claiming that the tech doing a four wheel alignment, 5 miles before it failed, would not necessarily have seen the damage. Not a good response.

From what I am reading here it seems like low tire pressure is likely a contributing factor. The problem is the sticker on the inside of the door calls for 40psi which is too low for sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gixx1300R
Thanks for the NHTSA link. I submitted it. I stopped by the service center and they are pleading ignorance that there is any issue and stating tires are a wear item and don't have a warranty. Also claiming that the tech doing a four wheel alignment, 5 miles before it failed, would not necessarily have seen the damage. Not a good response.

From what I am reading here it seems like low tire pressure is likely a contributing factor. The problem is the sticker on the inside of the door calls for 40psi which is too low for sure.
Why is 40 too low?

I am fast coming to the realization that just because the service center is branded Tesla is no reason the techs there are knowledgeable beyond what their training in the service procedures tells them.

We have just been conditioned to take it to the service center because of Tesla’s desire to control the service experience all these years. All that changed when they opened up the service catalog (service.tesla.com) . Experienced Mechanics (non tesla) who have worked on all kinds of automobiles are well positioned to now solve some of our nagging issues and improve performance.

The best auto mechanics don’t work for dealerships/service centers. They own their own garages!

My problem is fixed. I’ve taken my car to a renowned local race obsessed auto mechanic who told me exactly which link to fix. He said this will never be a systemic problem beyond those who have it. The tire problem is. Function of suspension geometry which varies from car to car. For every car that has this problem will be another that does not.

Yes, this approach and the aftermarket link cost me money but I have solved the nagging issue and am now thoroughly enjoying my plaid!

And since my problem is now solved I shall now be exiting this thread :)

Last edited:
Reactions: ginmqi
I am fast coming to the realization that just because the service center is branded Tesla is no reason the techs there are knowledgeable beyond what their training in the service procedures tells them.

We have just been conditioned to take it to the service center because of Tesla’s desire to control the service experience all these years. All that changed when they opened up the service catalog (service.tesla.com) . Experienced Mechanics (non tesla) who have worked on all kinds of automobiles are well positioned to now solve some of our nagging issues and improve performance.

The best auto mechanics don’t work for dealerships/service centers. They own their own garages!

My problem is fixed. I’ve taken my car to a renowned local race obsessed auto mechanic who told me exactly which link to fix. He said this will never be a systemic problem beyond those who have it. The tire problem is. Function of suspension geometry which varies from car to car. For every car that has this problem will be another that does not.

Yes, this approach and the aftermarket link cost me money but I have solved the nagging issue and am now thoroughly enjoying my plaid!

And since my problem is now solved I shall now be exiting this thread :)
All Service centers should be on the same page since they are not independently owned like dealerships. tesla service tech are lacking

A mechanic can diagnose a problem in an ice engine, tear it apart, replace the part and put it back together. Service techs are just parts changers. They do what they are told to change. There have been some simple low dollar fixes for a battery pack that would cost less than $100 but Tesla would rather replace the entire pack.

If you fixed your problem with aftermarket parts then there is a design flaw in the Model S Plaid suspension geometry.

Reactions: TSLA Pilot
If you fixed your problem with aftermarket parts then there is a design flaw in the Model S Plaid suspension geometry.
I see the failures happen on the PS4 tires that come with the car, but what about other tires? If others survive, it's likely a tire problem.

Would be interesting to see the car's rear tire on a pressure sensitive map to see if there is a disproportionate amount of pressure on the point of failure.

All Service centers should be on the same page since they are not independently owned like dealerships. tesla service tech are lacking

A mechanic can diagnose a problem in an ice engine, tear it apart, replace the part and put it back together. Service techs are just parts changers. They do what they are told to change. There have been some simple low dollar fixes for a battery pack that would cost less than $100 but Tesla would rather replace the entire pack.

Nobody at a luxury dealer service department is tearing engines down beyond removing a valve cover or frontend accessory. They follow a diagnostic tree and if they get to the bubble that says so, they remove the entire engine as a unit and send it for reman, and you pray your warranty covers the issue. There are rare instances where they're allowed to do work themselves, but these are usually because of a design flaw that has overwhelmed the reman supply chain.

"Independent" (lol, ok sure maybe 15 years ago) dealers follow the service book. Why? Because it's more profitable to charge an hour for stuff a tech can do three of per hour than have a tech stuck diagnosing and rebuilding for three days. There are a ton of talented mechanics at dealers who are hamstrung by policy.

Last edited:
I see the failures happen on the PS4 tires that come with the car, but what about other tires? If others survive, it's likely a tire problem.

Would be interesting to see the car's rear tire on a pressure sensitive map to see if there is a disproportionate amount of pressure on the point of failure.

Your car is prone to the same tire wear problem. Did you do anything to fix it?

IR thermometers can show you the high pressure areas.

Simple counterpoint to service, the tires aren’t wearing out, they are failing.

I was pretty sure my door jam indicates 42psi

Your car is prone to the same tire wear problem. Did you do anything to fix it?

IR thermometers can show you the high pressure areas.
I don't have tire wear problems, but I don't have a refresh or 21" wheels.

You mentioned an IR thermometer to read temperatures, but a pyrometer is actually a better idea to check tire temperatures. Both are more affordable than a pressure mat. Would be a good data point after a highway drive to see if the inside edge is significantly higher temperature.

I've been experiencing a low pressure warning on the passenger rear. When examining the tire I couldn't really see anything. What really got me was what like curb rash on the inside of the driver side rear rim. Have an appointment set up with Tesla to investigate.

UPDATE: I got my right tire replaced finally yesterday. They "pulled some strings" to get me a replacement tire as the steel threads were showing (same pics as everyone else) after waiting a few weeks since the tires are backordered (wonder why).

This time, they filed a Michelin warranty and gave me a case number and toll free number to call. After calling them I will supposedly get reimbursed ($600) minus the 7k miles wear on the tire (pro-rated)...

So at minimum folks when you get your tire replaced (they force you to pay for the tire), demand that they file the warranty claim with Michelin so you can get some of your $$ back.

Listen to @Gixx1300R and file those NHTSA claims!!

UPDATE: I got my right tire replaced finally yesterday. They "pulled some strings" to get me a replacement tire as the steel threads were showing (same pics as everyone else) after waiting a few weeks since the tires are backordered (wonder why).

This time, they filed a Michelin warranty and gave me a case number and toll free number to call. After calling them I will supposedly get reimbursed ($600) minus the 7k miles wear on the tire (pro-rated)...

So at minimum folks when you get your tire replaced (they force you to pay for the tire), demand that they file the warranty claim with Michelin so you can get some of your $$ back.

Listen to @Gixx1300R and file those NHTSA claims!!
Please provide the specific 800# as I'd like to file a claim for our passenger side, rear, Plaid 21" w/Michelin. I'm hoping it's a specific call center for Tesla tire issues so this safety defect will be addressed ASAP.

In our case, no visible nails, screws, or other issue, but the tire is losing about 1 psi every few days. And the sidewall/inside edge appears to be wearing excessively at only 8k miles . . . .

Please provide the specific 800# as I'd like to file a claim for our passenger side, rear, Plaid 21" w/Michelin. I'm hoping it's a specific call center for Tesla tire issues so this safety defect will be addressed ASAP.

In our case, no visible nails, screws, or other issue, but the tire is losing about 1 psi every few days. And the sidewall/inside edge appears to be wearing excessively at only 8k miles . . . .
Tesla needs to file the claim for you. Only then does the # help you. Here it is but without a claim number you'll waste your time: 18668666605

• Informative