Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid 21” rear tire woes - factory defect?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm having my 21" front tires (Pilot Sports) replaced tomorrow or the next day due to delamination on the inside edges. But, to be fair, they were pretty worn down. My rear tires failed similarly a year or two ago.
Please retain the tires, if possible, or at least take a lot of pictures, to include the full DOT ID numbers.

Thanks!
This is for a 2014 P85+ (staggered tires), not a Plaid, and it's the front tires. How do we know if the Pilot Sports are Tesla OEM versions or generic Pilot Sports?

The Tesla plaid Facebook group has a lot of people complaining about these same issues with the tires as well.
Unfortunately many on there are trying to say its just a camber issue due to riding in low all the time (at least they were last time I looked at them).

While I am certain the camber makes it worse and wears a bit quicker, the thin wear line is not symptomatic of just having a camber issue.

Hopefully one day Ill get the N2itive adjustable camber arms I ordered and Ill dial some out but I have no confidence Ill get anywhere near the mileage I should out of these. Maybe Michelin will own up to it, but if not, Ill be switching models / brands as soon as I can.

My rear and front tires have both failed in this manner and they were both Michelins Pilot Sports (the older model, PS2). The rears still had good looking tread on them when it happened. I keep my suspension at the normal height all the time. I'll be replacing with a different brand and I guess I'll eventually find out if the same thing happens.

• Informative
Reactions: TSLA Pilot
After seeing the crazy wear on the factory 21's on the car and the lack of supply for new tires, I decided to purchase a used set of 19's with the Pirelli stock tires. I've only put about 3k miles on these so far but the wear seems to be great. No even close to the rapid edge wear I was seeing on the Michelin tires. So this got me thinking, what if I put a set of Pirelli's on the 21' arachnid wheels? Wondering if anyone has tried a different brand to see if the wear pattern stays the same or not. This at a minimum would help to identify where the problem lies. According to tiresize.com a 285/30R21 or 305/30R21 would work just fine. Tire rack currently has the 285/30R21's in stock. Thoughts????

MS Plaid lowered on N2tive links. Starting losing air on the rear left for a bit now. I would put air on the tire (to whatever PSI is OEM) and drop all the way down to 33 PSI consistently. Kinda scary, considering the fact that it could've popped any moment. Getting both rears replaced, and should probably do adjustable camber and toe arms for the rear.

Attachments

• IMG_0323.jpg
    IMG_0323.jpg
    424.5 KB · Views: 582
  • IMG_0322.jpg
    IMG_0322.jpg
    446.7 KB · Views: 177
  • Informative
Reactions: TSLA Pilot
UPDATE.

I am pleased to report that an engineer from Michelin has been in contact, I suspect this is a result of this and other threads.

QUESTION:

Has anyone that has already had to replace a Model S tires due to tread separation kept their old tires? Mine are "getting there" but are nowhere near as bad as what has been documented in the many photographs here.

If so, please DM so that I may forward your contact info to a Michelin field engineer ASAP.

If you are one of those to soon replace your tires, PLEASE consider keeping the delaminated tire for possible inspection by Michelin.

Second, if you don't keep the old tires, please at least post photographs of your bad tires.

Thanks!
I just had one of my rears fail for this reason. 15k miles and plenty of tread on the whole tire except for the inner edge. Ordered a new set all around. Can keep the old ones if Michelin wants them back.

I just had one of my rears fail for this reason. 15k miles and plenty of tread on the whole tire except for the inner edge. Ordered a new set all around. Can keep the old ones if Michelin wants them back.
Likely a good call to keep the tires for a while. Any pictures would be of use, especially if you can include the DOT ID number on the sidewalls.

Hoping Michelin will step up and recall these, and reimburse those that have paid out of pocket.

Reactions: WilliamG
UPDATE.

I am pleased to report that an engineer from Michelin has been in contact, I suspect this is a result of this and other threads.

QUESTION:

Has anyone that has already had to replace a Model S tires due to tread separation kept their old tires? Mine are "getting there" but are nowhere near as bad as what has been documented in the many photographs here.

If so, please DM so that I may forward your contact info to a Michelin field engineer ASAP.

If you are one of those to soon replace your tires, PLEASE consider keeping the delaminated tire for possible inspection by Michelin.

Second, if you don't keep the old tires, please at least post photographs of your bad tires.

Thanks!
I just bought new wheels and tires for upcoming Chicago winter and at 10,500 miles on my stock 21” arachnid Michelin tires I’m noticing tire pressure decreasing on rears (but not fronts) and excessive wear on inner part of tires, but it’s not far enough yet to show cords. I’m real interested to learn if Michelin or Tesla is going to pay up to fix this. I’m probably going to order N2itive lowering kit and rear cambers as I’m seeing this is fixing the problem. Also I have the shudder and Tesla techs admit to being able to duplicate the problem, but they claim my half-shafts are fine and the problem is “under investigation” - whatever that means…

So i just swapped my aftermarket 21 inch wheels for the winter 19s on my 2022 plaid. Only drove about 2000 miles so far on the 21 pilot 4s T2. Does it look like I am already starting to see a slight inner wear already?

Attachments

• 46D7543C-B888-4A38-8725-C4EA8B5F713E.jpeg
    46D7543C-B888-4A38-8725-C4EA8B5F713E.jpeg
    572.4 KB · Views: 125
  • 3DBC1BB3-A733-47D1-ABC2-519B1628FD9F.jpeg
    3DBC1BB3-A733-47D1-ABC2-519B1628FD9F.jpeg
    523.7 KB · Views: 119
I just bought new wheels and tires for upcoming Chicago winter and at 10,500 miles on my stock 21” arachnid Michelin tires I’m noticing tire pressure decreasing on rears (but not fronts) and excessive wear on inner part of tires, but it’s not far enough yet to show cords. I’m real interested to learn if Michelin or Tesla is going to pay up to fix this. I’m probably going to order N2itive lowering kit and rear cambers as I’m seeing this is fixing the problem. Also I have the shudder and Tesla techs admit to being able to duplicate the problem, but they claim my half-shafts are fine and the problem is “under investigation” - whatever that means…
Hate to be such a Debbie Downer, but after so many, many visits to "repair" the ALWAYS ON LED lights in the center console of our refresh MS's, I am coming to believe that "under investigation" may just be Tesla-speak for "Thank you for your complaint, but we're not going to fix your car under warranty, or perhaps ever . . . ."

Elon, this is NOT great customer service. At all.