Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid 5 and 7 seat option removed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

sorka

Feb 28, 2015
Merced, CA
The configurator changed today to only allow ordering with 6 seats. Really hoping that I still get the 5 seater that I ordered as I need the extra cargo capacity and don't really care to pay $6500 more for seats I don't need.

Any thoughts on what Tesla will do?

• Informative
Reactions: ammulder
I’m in the same boat with 7 seat order. My guess is force us to 6 seat option with maybe a $2k discount off new higher price or else option to cancel. I’m almost positive they won’t be building any plaids with 5 or 7 seats anytime soon, based on past precedent.

The configurator changed today to only allow ordering with 6 seats. Really hoping that I still get the 5 seater that I ordered as I need the extra cargo capacity and don't really care to pay $6500 more for seats I don't need.

Any thoughts on what Tesla will do?
Tesla will make it their way. Not your way.

• Funny
Reactions: sorka
By including the mandatory $6,500 seat upgrade, the base price spread between Plaid and LR increases to closely what it historically has been (about $20K). Fortunately not as wide difference in compared to the Model S ($35K).

Tesla Model X Base Price History (2).png

Tesla Model S Base Price History (1).png

Charts shows trims available to order online in US only. Includes L option. Trims are combined for simplicity. 2022 "plain" Model S combined with prior LR (100D).

Reactions: lexus26 and LJG0053
Tesla will make it their way. Not your way.
I'm fairly certain we'll be asked to change our orders in the coming weeks. I'm waiting to see if they try to force the $5500 (for the 22 inch wheels) + $6500 (5-seat -> 6-seat) on to my configuration before I cancel. I know I can't justify paying $12k more for a configuration I don't want.

I wouldn't take the 6 seat and 22" wheels even if they were free upgrades. In fact, I'd pay a little extra to keep the 20" and 5 seater. I do several long trips a year with 5 total occupants. The 6 seater forces someone in the back and requires stacking luggage next to that occupied seat which is not only awkward but more dangerous.

I doubt they'll get rid of the 20" option. The 22" wheels can't meet the 0-60 and 1/4 time specs.

Reactions: blodg1 and jeffpaul
Not having the 5 or 7 seat is a game-changer for me. I currently have a 7 seater 2017 Model X. I love being able to lay the seats flat. I am looking to upgrade to the Plaid, I went with the 5 seats. The delivery date is February. If they make me go to a 6 seater, I will cancel the order! I am already going to lose Unlimited Supercharging, have to pay for FSD again, and will have to pay for a monthly data access charge!

IMG_1652.PNG
2022-01-10.png

Reactions: pilotSteve
Not having the 5 or 7 seat is a game-changer for me. I currently have a 7 seater 2017 Model X. I love being able to lay the seats flat. I am looking to upgrade to the Plaid, I went with the 5 seats. The delivery date is February. If they make me go to a 6 seater, I will cancel the order! I am already going to lose Unlimited Supercharging, have to pay for FSD again, and will have to pay for a monthly data access charge!

View attachment 754241 View attachment 754242
Same here. I have a 7 seater Plaid on order. I guess I’ll just have to keep my 100D 7 seater w/ Unlimited SpC, FSD, and free data access for a long long time if I had to change to a LR 7 seater.

Reactions: pilotSteve
I just got a call from a Tesla advisor about my 7-seat Plaid order and he said yup they're only going to be making 6-seat and my options are go for 6-seat, change to LR 7 seat, or cancel. They offered a $3,000 deduction to go with the 6-seater but said if I switched to the LR it would be at the current pricing.

Have 2 X’s on order. Both plaids, both configured as 7 seaters.

Goal was to remove the 2nd row and make 4 seaters.

Tesla called today, discounted both orders by $3k, and turned them into 6 seaters.
I complained to my SA that the 3k discount should be offered to everyone including those ordered with 6 seats. He said if I could send him a new order update screenshot he maybe able to help. Would you mind PM me or post in this thread your new order with the discount?