Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid a total game changer?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So a P85D has almost no more power than a 85D? I have 335 KW available now at low SoC and warm temps, approx 460 HP compared to 488 advertised...
See specs Tesla finally admitted to:
P85D specs.png

Will it be a high end sports car? Will it have high-end handling and luxury?

The original was great, but also a Lotus. The Model 3 gives me hope in regards to handling, although I still don’t see Tesla matching some of the legacy manufacturers outside of the superior drive train.

At $140k, the Plaid will be a bargain in terms of straight line acceleration. It will likely lack the options of a Kia and handle like an Accord, but the drag times will be unworldly just a decade ago
I'm pretty sure it will handle better than an Accord given the testing on the Nuremberg Ring and the rumored lap times we've seen. It will not just be a straight line car. Let's keep the discussion real.

Reactions: SmartElectric
Why do people think that performance is what’s going to get people to change over from ice? Teslas are super quick already, I’d rather have range with a 3 second 0-60 than a 1.9 second 0-60 but far less range.

Performance is one of the main reasons I bought one, and why I shelled out extra for a P85DL instead of a non-P car. It wasn't the only reason, but it was a pretty big point. For example, not burning fossil fuels in a vehicle is a big deal to some people, but it barely registered with me. I think both viewpoints are okay. Not everyone shares your (or my) priority of features for buying a vehicle, and Tesla is smart to capture as many viewpoints as possible. Don't worry, there will almost surely continue to be a non-Plaid/performance cars that likely gets greater range with the new cells. This isn't a one-or-the-other situation.

Performance is one of the main reasons I bought one, and why I shelled out extra for a P85DL instead of a non-P car. It wasn't the only reason, but it was a pretty big point. For example, not burning fossil fuels in a vehicle is a big deal to some people, but it barely registered with me. I think both viewpoints are okay. Not everyone shares your (or my) priority of features for buying a vehicle, and Tesla is smart to capture as many viewpoints as possible. Don't worry, there will almost surely continue to be a non-Plaid/performance cars that likely gets greater range with the new cells. This isn't a one-or-the-other situation.
I understand that, I was talking about comments that say performance of the Tesla is what’s going to finally put a “smackdown” on ice vehicles. When the performance is already beyond what you’d get with most ice cars.

So is your position one of the following?
  • The S they showed doing a 1:30.3 at Laguna Seca was not also tested for 0-60 and 1/4 mile
  • It is was tested and didn't meet those numbers
  • It met those figures, but isn't the production version, so subject to change
No data, bad data, or not final data?
My position is that there’s no final data. Tesla themselves are non committal to any specs, must not forget that Elon said its much easier to achieve high performance on prototype vehicles than production ones.

Reactions: WarpedOne
I understand that, I was talking about comments that say performance of the Tesla is what’s going to finally put a “smackdown” on ice vehicles. When the performance is already beyond what you’d get with most ice cars.

True, but when I was rephrasing the Elon quote I meant all ICE vehicles. Not even exotic supercars will be able to compete with out electric motors.

ICE needs to be as irrelevant as steam engines are to diesel electric locomotives

True, but when I was rephrasing the Elon quote I meant all ICE vehicles. Not even exotic supercars will be able to compete with out electric motors.

ICE needs to be as irrelevant as steam engines are to diesel electric locomotives
I think people buying those super cars mainly buy them for the engines and exhaust notes.
Exotic super cars aren’t even able to compete with some modified cars.

Elon claimed P85D is a 700hp car on the day they actually launched it (and for 2 years after that Tesla has 691hp on their website), only to finally admit that battery limited it to 463hp. So number from Elon which are even farther ahead are purely imaginary.

Lol. Elon upper bound. Tesla will also demonstrate coast to coast autonomous drive by end of 2017 (upper bound), then end of 2018 (newer upper bound), not sure what the latest upper bound on that one is, do you? Remember "3 months maybe, 6 months for sure" tweet from Elon about Full Self Driving - sounds like an upper bound, no? Remember Elon promising driverless robo-taxi fleet in operation by end of 2020 (another upper bound) where your Tesla will make you money driving to the Tesla Ride Sharing Network - do you still have faith in that one? So many things Elon upper bounded and never delivered (or never will in some cases).

Name one time Tesla have failed to deliver on an acceleration metric? They said the P85D runs 11s and it does/did. Who cars what you say the horespower number is especially when there can be as much as 15% variability between dynometers.

Back on topic Plaid ordered and funding has been secured.

I think people buying those super cars mainly buy them for the engines and exhaust notes.
No, they buy them for how good it makes them feel. Value for money is pretty poor, but the whole package isn't available any cheaper. The engine / exhaust note is part of the whole package.Lots of performance , with a dash o' cashet for the maker's plate name.
For me, quiet is the better. And value is better.
Hence: Dual Motor Model S for me now, not any ICE, and not a Taycan.
And one day- probably Plaid S. Or Roadster.
Depends on availability, spec, internal luxury and Tesla upping their service game.

No, they buy them for how good it makes them feel. Value for money is pretty poor, but the whole package isn't available any cheaper. The engine / exhaust note is part of the whole package.Lots of performance , with a dash o' cashet for the maker's plate name.
For me, quiet is the better. And value is better.
Hence: Dual Motor Model S for me now, not any ICE, and not a Taycan.
And one day- probably Plaid S. Or Roadster.
Depends on availability, spec, internal luxury and Tesla upping their service game.
Ok? Happy for you

Name one time Tesla have failed to deliver on an acceleration metric?
P90DL gen1 and gen2 batteries didn't meet the advertised 1/4 mile (and gen1 IIRC missed the 0-60 as well). Then even gen3 batteries after some fixed number of lifetime launches where software limited the power (until media stories exposed it and Tesla supposedly removed the limits, or at least increased the allowed number of launches).

Name one time Tesla have failed to deliver on an acceleration metric? They said the P85D runs 11s and it does/did. Who cars what you say the horespower number is especially when there can be as much as 15% variability between dynometers.
Power can be measured leaving the battery very accurately, and if it didn't come out the battery, the motor will not produce it. The fuses on the P85D battery were set to blow way before the battery could deliver 691hp, so obviously it was a complete lie. If your point is that Plaid's 1,100hp is irrelevant because and likely made up like the P85D's hp was, then why does Tesla bother providing it at all?

Btw, test drive P85D with P90DL-gen3, and even though the P90DL is less than half second 0-60 faster by spec, it feels a lot more powerful when driven - because P90DL gen3 actually delivered close to 700hp. The huge difference is highway acceleration which Tesla never advertised, but hp indicates it.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: WarpedOne