Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid Acceleration doesn't hit as hard.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I drove a plaid about a month ago and when I first launched the car, it blew me away and gave me such a rush unlike anything else I've driven before. Well, here recently, I managed to drive one again for a few days and every time I would use drag strip mode, it didn't pull as hard as I remember it. To be honest, it felt as if the normal Plaid mode pulled harder. I used a Dragy to measure all the 0-60 times and on all my runs in the Drag strip mode came out to being around 2.3-2.5s. However, when using just Plaid mode, I was able to hit 2.26 which was the best time I achieved. Which is strange because it seemed to perform better when the car would be preconditioned for drag strip mode but not launched. Now I understand many factors can play a part in this such as the weather, road surface and charge, but all test were done on the same roads and the SOC was around 75-90% for most of the runs. I did notice the wheels spin a lot when in Drag Strip mode which could be causing the slower times, but I still don't understand why it doesn't feel that powerful when launching compared to the first time. Has anyone else experienced this because I was told you never get used to it.

Reactions: impastu
You got used to the acceleration. And are you on sport suspension each time? You’ll feel the sensation of speed more in sport suspension.

Attachments

• 67F64749-8A19-43CF-BC89-56FBC0BD6D41.jpeg
    67F64749-8A19-43CF-BC89-56FBC0BD6D41.jpeg
    337.6 KB · Views: 733
Hello,

I drove a plaid about a month ago and when I first launched the car, it blew me away and gave me such a rush unlike anything else I've driven before. Well, here recently, I managed to drive one again for a few days and every time I would use drag strip mode, it didn't pull as hard as I remember it. To be honest, it felt as if the normal Plaid mode pulled harder. I used a Dragy to measure all the 0-60 times and on all my runs in the Drag strip mode came out to being around 2.3-2.5s. However, when using just Plaid mode, I was able to hit 2.26 which was the best time I achieved. Which is strange because it seemed to perform better when the car would be preconditioned for drag strip mode but not launched. Now I understand many factors can play a part in this such as the weather, road surface and charge, but all test were done on the same roads and the SOC was around 75-90% for most of the runs. I did notice the wheels spin a lot when in Drag Strip mode which could be causing the slower times, but I still don't understand why it doesn't feel that powerful when launching compared to the first time. Has anyone else experienced this because I was told you never get used to it.
You probably had obstacle aware acceleration turned on in settings. It affects the launches on uneven roads

• Informative
Reactions: Tiger and bhzmark
I believe that drag mode temporary ignores memory of surface traction and adjusts it down within single run, so it really needs the maximum surface traction, otherwise time is lost on traction control overcompensation. Most probably, if they want, they can fine tune it with later updates.