Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid brake issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I want racing recently in my s plaid for the first time, speed ventures, AAA raceway fontana ca. After first lap brakes started to fade and got worse as they heated up, these brakes SUCK, anybody with same issue and anybody who have improved there brakes?
Thanks
Peter
9FB391D2-DBCC-48BB-8188-C2DFC57A1036.png

I would argue Tesla has finally broken the barrier of a only drag car with the pre refresh models to now a possible track car. Torque vectoring, better cooling and the adaptive suspension enable the new models to handle a track day... sans the brakes of course

Yeah, it's wild to me for Tesla to boast of the Plaid's Nurburgring prowess, of torque vectoring etc, and then to saddle this car with sub-par brakes.

Upvote 0
I would argue Tesla has finally broken the barrier of a only drag car with the pre refresh models to now a possible track car. Torque vectoring, better cooling and the adaptive suspension enable the new models to handle a track day... sans the brakes of course
Race cars are gutted for weight. Highly tunes suspensions, braking and very rigid. The Model S is a beautiful car, but it’s not a race car. Just cause it’s fast in a straight line doesn’t mean it’s a race car. Seriously. Theres a big Difference

Upvote 0
Race cars are gutted for weight. Highly tunes suspensions, braking and very rigid. The Model S is a beautiful car, but it’s not a race car. Just cause it’s fast in a straight line doesn’t mean it’s a race car. Seriously. Theres a big Difference
I cringe at the thought of how many folks will figure this out the hard way. It seems like the car is being "marketed" as a race-ready production car. Most folks who track cars put brakes and tires on the top of the list for modifications...but a handful of folks just want to put their stock cars on the track and run. The worst are those who but their cars on the public streets and run.

Reactions: Issaction and RB_PB
Upvote 0
That's why I said "track car" not a race car. Plenty of other sedans in the same price range that can be taken on the track with no modifications

Upvote 0
I cringe at the thought of how many folks will figure this out the hard way. It seems like the car is being "marketed" as a race-ready production car. Most folks who track cars put brakes and tires on the top of the list for modifications...but a handful of folks just want to put their stock cars on the track and run. The worst are those who but their cars on the public streets and run.
There are plenty of sedans you can buy for the price of a Plaid that can be taken on a track, and realistically the Plaid just needs some better braking to be tracked. I don't know people keep saying racecar, no one wants to race on a track instead safely push the car to the limits for enjoyment

Upvote 0
We will be shipping the brake pads early next week to fill those back orders.
New orders are being taken with prompt shipment.

Street: XT910

Track: XT970

Easy to select and install. An investment that can make your Plaid more safer to drive.

plaid_front+rear_pad.PNG

• Funny
Reactions: jebinc
Upvote 0
Yes, the EDP coating rotor surface will disappear only after a few hard stops, while all the remaining area (including the inner cooling vanes) remain protected against rusting & corrosion.

Below is an installation for Corvette ZR1 CCB conversion to RB iron rotors.

After Installed:
mzmilr_4f39f2ac31a468a22ed3151a5aa1bcfbf750f0a8.jpg

After a few stops:
bnjj2x_3cc585cd38074e0a956648a431d859450dd3aee0.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: DukeofURL
Upvote 0
What's your wheel size (or plan to have) for tracking?.
Plaid comes standard 19" with 21" option.

Just test fitted 420mm BBK and it comfortably fits under 21" but will not be for "OE" 19", although some aftermarket 19" may.

Wouldn't it be preferable to use 19" than 21" for tracking?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It’s not the brakes people it’s the stability control.
plaid needs track mode like the model 3 performance.
that car does the exact thing when not in track mode.
stability control is way aggressive on Tesla’s. (Using braking when you hardly even notice)

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
That's great to know.
Please provide the wheel brand and model for other members' reference. Although I still don't think it can fit OE 19"
It probably wasn't clear, since I buried it in between photos, but "Fitted inside an SV104 19" wheel."

That's Signature Wheels, SV104. (My winter wheels) - I run SV104 in 21s during the summer...wanted to make sure I wouldn't run into issues when swapping wheels.

Upvote 0