Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid brake issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I want racing recently in my s plaid for the first time, speed ventures, AAA raceway fontana ca. After first lap brakes started to fade and got worse as they heated up, these brakes SUCK, anybody with same issue and anybody who have improved there brakes?
Thanks
Peter
9FB391D2-DBCC-48BB-8188-C2DFC57A1036.png

I don’t think anyone is surprised…

Was regen on or off out of curiosity? In the earlier models regen had to be turned off or else the pack overheated after a few laps.

Check out unplugged performance if you want to make it track worthy

Upvote 0
Complete brake upgrade option for Plaid:

Standard iron brakes:

Carbon ceramic brakes:

The BBK is developed for dedicated tracking or hardcore competition racing with 420x34/390x28mm rotors (both iron and CCB).

Front kit is equipped with RB6L track duty calipers, same as our offer for OE/Brembo "direct replacement*" caliper upgrade for Nissan GTR, Porsche 911, McLaren (570S/720S), Mustang GT350/GT500

*Direct mount to OE spindle w/o using bracket or adapters.

power%20is%20nothing.PNG

Upvote 0
I'm surprised they faded after the first lap. I know it's a heavy car, but how hard were you pushing it? The heaviest car I've tracked was only 3,200 lbs (about 1,500 lbs lighter than the Plaid) and try to stay below 80% of the limit and typically run for 20-30 minutes per session. If the brake fade is as bad as you state, I would look into larger rotors, pads and fluid that tolerate a higher temp, and ductwork. I would also start keeping data of braking distance and taking temperatures with an IR gun. Do you think the brake fluid temp got close to the limit? Sounds like you ought to talk to some of the R&D folks at Unplugged since they probably have the most data.

Reactions: TessP100D
Upvote 0
Turns out the tration control uses the brakes so they heat up faster the harder you corner. Sucks for sure.
Well this answers the question why are the brakes so bad on the Plaid. Nothing new, they must be very aggressive with braking though. I had a Fiesta ST years ago found out Ford was using this to combat the torque steer. They called it torque vectoring.
They also used braking technology for the rear to help with rotation.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
The track pack is coming, I posted a thread a while back and on the parts catalogue there was an option for 20" tires that were 305 in the rear hinting to that becoming an option soon. I am sure Tesla will at least add bigger better brakes. When the track pack is released no one knows yet

Upvote 0
Take a look at this table and learn yourself why Plaid is dangerously "under-brake" in any standard of being a production car, regardless how you're driving it - Street (it can easily turns into race tracks), drag, or hardcore racing.

Plaid%20brake%20analysis.PNG

Brake system analysis for McLaren
Have you done a plaid yet? Sorry if I missed this.

How many days does it take? I need to plan a trip...

Upvote 0